Gas & Electricity

I have energy saving light bulbs and I do need them, because they save energy. I send my meter readings to Ovo every month as requested, like I have every month for about 8 years or however long Ive been with them. Takes me seconds
I used to do that. Now I don’t need to do that and can look at my energy usage in real time.

I used to have to get up to change the channel on my TV, it only took a few seconds, but then remote controls came along.

I used to do that. Now I don’t need to do that and can look at my energy usage in real time.

I used to have to get up to change the channel on my TV, it only took a few seconds, but then remote controls came along.
Im pleased you dont need to do that. Personally I have no issue in spending about 20 seconds sending them the readings once per month. I also dont need to check my energy usage in real time. I live on my own and I work shifts. Im rarely here and when I am only what I need to use is used. It is pointless me checking what it is in real time

Im pleased you dont need to do that. Personally I have no issue in spending about 20 seconds sending them the readings once per month. I also dont need to check my energy usage in real time. I live on my own and I work shifts. Im rarely here and when I am only what I need to use is used. It is pointless me checking what it is in real time
Random.

Bizarre to me that anyone could feel so strongly about such an inanimate thing.

Still, to each their own.

I've had a EDF smart meter for three years or more. Only worked for the first month then stopped connecting to the meters. Contacted EDF at the time, and they didn't want to know. Said there was a problem at their end and no fix anytime soon. Refused to send out an engineer.

Left EDF a year later only for the new company to go bust six months later.
So yes you guessed it, we automatically got put back to EDF!

So with the current crisis, i thought i might see if we can get the bloody thing working again.
Called EDF up a couple of months ago, and they sent a new display. Plugged it in and nothing works as before.
Threatened to leave again, and they are now sending somebody out tomorrow morning.

The thing is i wanted the smart meter at the time due to having an heated outside pool. Nothing fancy, but we have used it daily for eight years now. (Spring to Autumn)
I wanted to see if changing from an electric heater to a air source heat pump made much deference.
Now i just want to see what appliances really chew through the money.
I suspect the clothes drier is one of the biggest cost, as with five people in the house it seems to be on constant during the winter.
We have a couple of Computers running 24/7 that are now turned off overnight and when out during the day.

There are somethings we cannot switch off though, like the 10 CCTV cameras/twin Alarm systems. The house is also smart connected meaning Alexa's in every room. Even the lighting/heating is smart connected meaning they are constantly drawing power.
All the lights are LED at least, but we have exterior night lighting that is not just for show, it is used as a security deterrent to protect the cars/house. (living in Droylsden isn't the dream people think it is!)
I suspect if i see a great energy draw, some of these smart devices might be going!

They literally don’t do anything but send your readings everyday. They help save people money.

No one needs one. You don’t need energy saving lightbulbs either, but they can help you reduce your bills.

Agree, seems to be some weird smugness from some that don't have or want a smart meter.

Agree, seems to be some weird smugness from some that don't have or want a smart meter.
I think it’s more older people struggling with new technology in life and deciding that they are a scam/too much hassle.

That’s fine, they don’t have to have them. Yet.

If they are made to have them, they’ll soon realise that they aren’t a big deal and is just one less thing to think about.

I think it’s more older people struggling with new technology in life and deciding that they are a scam/too much hassle.

That’s fine, they don’t have to have them. Yet.

If they are made to have them, they’ll soon realise that they aren’t a big deal and is just one less thing to think about.

Yeh, i'd rather know what i'm paying when rates are this high to be honest

each to their own though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.