Gas & Electricity

They literally don’t do anything but send your readings everyday. They help save people money.

No one needs one. You don’t need energy saving lightbulbs either, but they can help you reduce your bills.
But what the companies shoukd do is only take what you owe each month and not a DD that they make interest on in summer. You should leave enough to cover the average over the year in your bank account they shouldn’t take a penny more a month than you owe, that’s what smart meters should do.

But what the companies shoukd do is only take what you owe each month and not a DD that they make interest on in summer. You should leave enough to cover the average over the year in your bank account they shouldn’t take a penny more a month than you owe, that’s what smart meters should do.
That’s not what smart meters do though.

You can do that should you wish.

What you are describing is the difference between a direct debit and a standing order.

That’s not what smart meters do though.

You can do that should you wish.

What you are describing is the difference between a direct debit and a standing order.
Then that’s what should be encouraged then DD seems to me to be a way to get your money they make interest on it, but they dress it up they are doing you a favour.

Then that’s what should be encouraged then DD seems to me to be a way to get your money they make interest on it, but they dress it up they are doing you a favour.
I've always said, maintain your DD at a level you're comfortable with and just top it up on the months that you use more than the amount of the DD,

Example pay £100 a month, then in Oct-Nov pay more if your monthly consumption is greater.... i.e. October use £130, pay an additional £30 and so on, then hopefully in the summer (April onwards) you may be able to build up a little credit for next winter.

I've just had my forecast from EON, they estimate that i will need to pay a total of £2052 for the next 12 months. This is made up of £862 for the electric and £1190 for the gas. Living in a 3 bed semi.

I am in credit by £480 so I am looking at £2052 less the £480 credit = £1572.
The £1572 over 12 months works out at £131 a month.

For some reason they are telling me i need to drop my DD to just £104 per month, this morning they messaged me to say it would be £174 a month.

I am just sticking with my £150 that I have been paying and then looking at it again in January.

I've just had my forecast from EON, they estimate that i will need to pay a total of £2052 for the next 12 months. This is made up of £862 for the electric and £1190 for the gas. Living in a 3 bed semi.

For some reason they are telling me i need to drop my DD to just £104 per month, this morning they messaged me to say it would be £174 a month.

I am just sticking with my £150 that I have been paying and then looking at it again in January.
Good idea, but if you can I'd pay off anything you use over £150, just so you don't let debt build up, I understand this will not be possible for everyone but it is the best way I can think of managing the debt.

You get a c.4% discount for using DD, which is better than saving the money currently. It also allows you to build up a sluice fund to use more over the winter without your bills going up.

It’s obviously horses for courses and some people will want to pay as they go.

I go the other way as it keeps our payments pretty consistent.

All a smart meter does is give you realtime information and you can work out what appliances cost you what.

How you pay is a personal choice.

You get a £66 a month discount on the next 6 months bills from the government don’t you?

Maybe they’re equating that into their figures?

I've had a EDF smart meter for three years or more. Only worked for the first month then stopped connecting to the meters. Contacted EDF at the time, and they didn't want to know. Said there was a problem at their end and no fix anytime soon. Refused to send out an engineer.

Left EDF a year later only for the new company to go bust six months later.
So yes you guessed it, we automatically got put back to EDF!

So with the current crisis, i thought i might see if we can get the bloody thing working again.
Called EDF up a couple of months ago, and they sent a new display. Plugged it in and nothing works as before.
Threatened to leave again, and they are now sending somebody out tomorrow morning.

The thing is i wanted the smart meter at the time due to having an heated outside pool. Nothing fancy, but we have used it daily for eight years now. (Spring to Autumn)
I wanted to see if changing from an electric heater to a air source heat pump made much deference.
Now i just want to see what appliances really chew through the money.
I suspect the clothes drier is one of the biggest cost, as with five people in the house it seems to be on constant during the winter.
We have a couple of Computers running 24/7 that are now turned off overnight and when out during the day.

There are somethings we cannot switch off though, like the 10 CCTV cameras/twin Alarm systems. The house is also smart connected meaning Alexa's in every room. Even the lighting/heating is smart connected meaning they are constantly drawing power.
All the lights are LED at least, but we have exterior night lighting that is not just for show, it is used as a security deterrent to protect the cars/house. (living in Droylsden isn't the dream people think it is!)
I suspect if i see a great energy draw, some of these smart devices might be going!
Hot water is the thing that’s really expensive, also the drier
those are the things to watch
We lived in Droylsden about 17 years never had any problems and no video cameras outside either, near Saxon Drive. your pool is going to cost a lot to heat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.