Gas & Electricity

It’s pretty much always been that way. From a heating point of view electricity is more efficient than gas in heating a fixed amount of air. But gas is much cheaper per kWh so it makes any form of electric heating very expensive. Just consider how much you use anything which gets hot and runs from electric and you will save significantly if you can reduce its use. So washing machines, tumble dryers, dish washers are all massive energy hogs.

We have heated floors in a couple of the bathrooms, turned them off last winter and it saved 4kW per day ! Plenty warm enough with just the radiators.
I'm amazed at how many people rely on things like tumble dryers. We haven't got one, we just wash our clothes and stick them on a clothes maiden which takes around half a day to dry and in the summer they go out on the line. As you say gas is cheaper so put the maiden near a radiator, keep the doors shut and most stuff is dry in an couple of hours. I can remember at our old house we had an airing cupboard with the hot water tank in which was brilliant for that.

We usually do cold washes (30c) in the washing machine when we can which saves a lot. Most dishwashers can be set to eco mode too which means less temperature and cost. If you give everything a quick rinse beforehand then there's no need to set it to max temperature. You could save even more by just hand-washing.

It's stuff like this that no-one thinks about and I think most of the moaning is because many people can't be arsed to make changes.... You don't even suffer from the changes either, it's just about doing things differently.

Found a better use for my torch , upside down and it lights up the room and i can see my way to the loo, about five paces from the bedroom, not silly me , this is a throwback to the seventies when we had no elec most of the time

I'm amazed at how many people rely on things like tumble dryers. We haven't got one, we just wash our clothes and stick them on a clothes maiden which takes around half a day to dry and in the summer they go out on the line. As you say gas is cheaper so put the maiden near a radiator, keep the doors shut and most stuff is dry in an couple of hours. I can remember at our old house we had an airing cupboard with the hot water tank in which was brilliant for that.

We usually do cold washes (30c) in the washing machine when we can which saves a lot. Most dishwashers can be set to eco mode too which means less temperature and cost. If you give everything a quick rinse beforehand then there's no need to set it to max temperature. You could save even more by just hand-washing.

It's stuff like this that no-one thinks about and I think most of the moaning is because many people can't be arsed to make changes.... You don't even suffer from the changes either, it's just about doing things differently.
Takes days for ours to dry on a maiden in the house! We don’t use the tumble drier unless it’s for towels or bedding.
Where does everyone put their thermostat, we can move ours currently in the living room it’s 18 degrees, if we put at the top of the stairs it’s 15 degrees, our house has shit insulation in the roof and I can’t get up there to do it until new year, so heat is been lost through there I know.
The trouble is if we put the heating on with the stat in living room upstairs does not get warm enough for the wife and daughter, doesn’t bother me though, so I’m thinking of putting at top of the stairs.

Takes days for ours to dry on a maiden in the house! We don’t use the tumble drier unless it’s for towels or bedding.
Where does everyone put their thermostat, we can move ours currently in the living room it’s 18 degrees, if we put at the top of the stairs it’s 15 degrees, our house has shit insulation in the roof and I can’t get up there to do it until new year, so heat is been lost through there I know.
The trouble is if we put the heating on with the stat in living room upstairs does not get warm enough for the wife and daughter, doesn’t bother me though, so I’m thinking of putting at top of the stairs.
Just sell the wife and daughter.

Dishwashers are more economical than washing and rinsing pots and pans in the sink.
Electricity is 34p per kWh, gas is 7.4p per kWh. It takes the same amount of energy to heat the water and a condensing boiler is around 90% efficient as opposed to a heating element which is around 95% efficient.
So unless you are going to use 5 times more water it can’t be cheaper and that’s not taking into account the purchase cost of the dishwasher or electricity consumed by the device which is not used for heating the water.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.