Gas & Electricity

Takes days for ours to dry on a maiden in the house! We don’t use the tumble drier unless it’s for towels or bedding.
Where does everyone put their thermostat, we can move ours currently in the living room it’s 18 degrees, if we put at the top of the stairs it’s 15 degrees, our house has shit insulation in the roof and I can’t get up there to do it until new year, so heat is been lost through there I know.
The trouble is if we put the heating on with the stat in living room upstairs does not get warm enough for the wife and daughter, doesn’t bother me though, so I’m thinking of putting at top of the stairs.
Never heard it referred to as a clothes maiden, only a clothes horse. Must be posher around your way :-)

but that does nothing to deflate the overall cost of the 'loan' the government are taking out against the UK population to give to enegry companies
We will have to pay it back but not only have they trashed the economy but hands out our money to the energy companies.
How any government can do this and get away with it. It’s only when everyone refuses to pay will the government change the rules

Electricity is 34p per kWh, gas is 7.4p per kWh. It takes the same amount of energy to heat the water and a condensing boiler is around 90% efficient as opposed to a heating element which is around 95% efficient.
So unless you are going to use 5 times more water it can’t be cheaper and that’s not taking into account the purchase cost of the dishwasher or electricity consumed by the device which is not used for heating the water.
You do use a lot more water in a dish washer. And here it’s metered.
An average dish wash uses 2 litres.
An average sink wash uses 9 litres.
Three sink washes a day will use 27 litres.
The same amount of crockery and pans can be done in one dishwasher cycle.
Every expert body agrees dishwashers are cheaper than washing by hand.

We’ve got a white clothes airer screwed to the ceiling over the bath we bought it from an Accrington shop a long time ago, every time we move house we bring it with us so it fits sheets and bath towels easily and you can drip dry over the bath.
The best kit we ever bought.
I bet you’ve got a mangle as well

Never heard it referred to as a clothes maiden, only a clothes horse. Must be posher around your way :-)
Be careful airing your clothes on them when you have your rads on. We are sharp enough not to do this around electricals, so aired them in our hallway until all our doors started swelling up and were difficult to open/shut. The maiden goes in the bathroom now with the top window open and extractor on. Down here for dancing!

You do use a lot more water in a dish washer. And here it’s metered.
An average dish wash uses 2 litres.
An average sink wash uses 9 litres.
Three sink washes a day will use 27 litres.
The same amount of crockery and pans can be done in one dishwasher cycle.
Every expert body agrees dishwashers are cheaper than washing by hand.
According to Bosch on their website a standard wash uses 9.5 litres. So not sure where Which are getting their numbers from. Think they have got gallons and litres mixed up.

Great to see these articles get proof read and peer reviewed:-)

When you read the Which article where I think your information comes from they just assume all water is heated using electricity and make the following comment that says nothing about true cost…

“If you have a gas-heated water tank, it isn't an easy comparison (a bit like apples and pears).”

If the question is which is greener for the environment then it’s probably a close run thing and may be better with a dishwasher but solely on cost it’s cheaper to wash by hand.

Water costs less than 1p per litre by the way, in fact it’s 0.317p per litre in most areas.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.