Gas & Electricity

Ah ok mate, it’s all very confusing these days, one of my daughters lives in a council house, but it’s run by the housing association she actually works for, seems to be a common thing.
Just off to Argos to pick up a couple of 2KW convection heaters while I wait for the council to pull their fingers out. If anyone else is thinking of getting one, most are out of stock or ready for pickup in a few days :(

They are cunts, there has to be an end point in this but will things return to what they were? Even if Russia is defeated and our reliance on them has gone, we are decades away from new nuclear power plants, offshore wind, tide? People cannot go on like this forever, I can see us entering a Great Depression like the 30s if we aren’t careful, it will snowball quickly I think the housing market will crash first then unemployment then there will be no stopping it.
The critical problem is resolving the problems in the gas supply, the biggest problem at the moment is unfortunately there isn't enough gas to go around as other countries are also buying it up. Wholesale gas costs are currently 1000% higher than they were in December 2019. If you ran a pub and the price that you buy beer at goes up 1000% then how can you not put up the price of a pint?

People assume profiteering is responsible and of course there has been profiteering but there is always profiteering in times of volatility. It would however just be stupid to say that any company can keep prices low and simply absorb a 1000% cost rise. There have been casualties as well as profits, the cost rises effectively bankrupted competitive suppliers like Bulb.

The only winners have been the big major companies which have boosted profits thanks to clever bulk forward buying which is something smaller companies just can't do. It's helped the big companies to monopolise too because competition is now irrelevant given every company just operates at the price cap.

What has really happened is we're unfortunately paying the price of COVID, the lockdowns and the destructive knock-on effect that it had on supply chains, businesses and the ability for people to do work. The recovery from this should of started this year but then the Ukraine war happened and the gas supply was again completely turned on its head.

The only option on the table for governments is to subsidise energy (which they're doing) and then they need to grow a pair and deal with the problems (which they aren't doing). Labour are no different to the Tories on this, we don't need more taxes, we need these clowns to get stuck in and fix the system.

Our temp in the front room is 13-14C when I got up this morning and with no working boiler it's not going to get any warmer. I've also just discovered that the electric fire which hasn't been used for nearly 5 years doesn't work. It's been buried behind various potted plants for all that time, I'm going to have to pop the surround off to check I didn't isolate it in the extension at the back.
Wife who was up with the dog at 4am said the boiler kicked in then it was 14.5 degrees so that’s about right, I’ve lowered the minimum temperature to 12 now as it really doesn’t need to come at 15. I think shows how cold it’s really getting now, imagine the poor fuckers on the streets! House is taking forever to get to 18 we will just have to suck it up like someone says before I’d rather be warmer than go on holiday next year

STILL not received my December fuel payment from British Gas.

Was told last week it would be on my meter by today or I will of received an email this morning with a voucher for the credit. I've received neither.

Currently 112 in a queue to speak to someone. Really pissed off about this
Postal strike today won’t get voucher

In 11 days I have used just gas, £164 I shit you not electric not to bad probably around £35 never the less that’s £199 in 11 days our mortgage is £1,100 a month so with council tax water rates etc etc it’s close to £2,500 a month outlay then food fuel leisure on top of that it’s crazy
Bet you’ve got a Porsche cayenne and a Range Rover up the drive. Just kidding,I’m in a similar boat but with hardly any savings and an old Skoda. It’s no fun is it.

Just off to Argos to pick up a couple of 2KW convection heaters while I wait for the council to pull their fingers out. If anyone else is thinking of getting one, most are out of stock or ready for pickup in a few days :(
True to form the guy turned up with no advance warning 30 minutes after plugging one in for the wife (the heater just to stop short any jokes).

Turns out it was the controller which would have been right at the bottom of my list for likely suspects given the noises coming out of the boiler. All good now, anyone need a couple of 2KW convection heaters? Hardly used. On second thoughts I'll keep them as backup.

Had a lovely walk with the dog while he was here though, it's turned quite balmy and we're north of Edinburgh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.