Gas & Electricity

DD just gone down to £140 per month from £180.

3 Bed semi...

BUT we both work from home and we have a Garden Room heated/cooled with an A/C unit.

Well strictly its their equipment, but you can't be forced to change unless they deem it unsafe or inaccurate.
Or at end of useful life, which they decide.

According to Moneysavingexpert

Meters need to be replaced every 10 to 20 years​

Like most things, energy meters don't last forever so suppliers need to replace older meters to ensure they continue to give accurate readings. Suppliers determine when this needs to be done by checking a meter's 'certification date'.

According to Ofgem, if your existing meter needs replacing, your energy supplier is required to replace it with a smart meter, unless there's a good reason not to. So even though smart meters are not mandatory, it may not be possible for energy suppliers to replace an old traditional meter with a new one, even if you request it.

Wholesale prices go down in winter, more wind and in the summer some nuclear powerplants go down for maintenance.

Just asking. Not saying you are wrong. Why do Gas and Electricity prices go up in Autumn and winter? Are the energy companies ripping people off as they know Gas and Electricity usage will go up in Autumn and winter months?

Last edited:
The point I’m trying to make is, with only the 3 items on from 11pm to 3pm, and then more items on from 4pm to 11pm, how much am I going to save in a week, if we’re talking a few pence difference either way between a set 21p kWh, and the daily fluctuating agile kWh prices?

Just asking. Not saying you are wrong. Why do Gas and Electricity prices go up in Autumn and winter? Are the energy companies ripping people off as they know Gas and Electricity usage will go up in Autumn and winter months.

Because of fixed rate tariffs lag behind what the wholesale price currently is, so it takes longer for the price to lower, where as on tracker or agile you can get the benefits of the current wholesale price and if the market has a fit you can just jump back on the fixed rate for free.

You would probably benefit more from tracker than agile, where as for me I am up till 2am most days so can do the family washing/dishwasher ect in the early hours and get paid to use it or pay pennies.

Reactions: jrb
Because of fixed rate tariffs lag behind what the wholesale price currently is, so it takes longer for the price to lower, where as on tracker or agile you can get the benefits of the current wholesale price and if the market has a fit you can just jump back on the fixed rate for free.

You would probably benefit more from tracker than agile, where as for me I am up till 2am most days so can do the family washing/dishwasher ect in the early hours and get paid to use it or pay pennies.

Like Petrol and Diesel prices. The wholesale price drop for both is never fully passed on to the driver, and when it is passed on in part, it takes an age.

You can put washers on a timer now as well, although we used to recommend people don’t put these things on whilst you are sleeping!

I'm considering changing the tariff we are on to agile or flexible. We have used 2324kWh in the last 12 months. Our usage is a normal pattern with little usage between 11.00pm and 8.00am. Have you any suggestions if it's worth our while changing? ta

I'm considering changing the tariff we are on to agile or flexible. We have used 2324kWh in the last 12 months. Our usage is a normal pattern with little usage between 11.00pm and 8.00am. Have you any suggestions if it's worth our while changing? ta

You with octopus energy? Download octopus compare app it shows you how much each tariff would have cost you. In 4 days of data so far I've saved £4 and that was with high use for washes etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.