General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 164 60.1%
  • Conservative

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • Reform

Votes: 35 12.8%
  • Green Party

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 27 9.9%

• Total voters
Add it to Ashworth's comments yesterday. Both mentioned Bangladesh. It isn't an accident.

I don't think it is. I assume it's because the UK signed a deal with Bangladesh last month on returning failed asylum seekers and illegal immigrants quickly. The argument was that the Tories aren't in a position to use that.

Labour have been consistently saying for years that the best way to deal with asylum cases is to process them quickly, so that the people making the claims can either get on with their lives in the UK, or return to their home country.

i find it utterly staggering that a man so wooden and un inspirational made it to the top of his trade.
Not sure he made it to the very top, or he’d probably still be doing it as the pull to remain on the stage would be much greater, but it’s certainly still remarkable, albeit possible. That particular make up is definitely more suited to prosecuting than defending, although tbf he (I think) did mainly defend before he went into civil service.

It requires massive compensation if you’re up against natural advocates, if you’re not one, but it can be done. I guess the best analogy in football terms is a player like James Milner.

Advocacy is also a marginal art, in that in many cases the art of persuading makes less of a difference than people imagine. If the evidence is overwhelming no amount of silken tongued advocacy is going to change anyone’s mind. It’s the borderline cases where it actually makes a difference.

Not really worthy of a response. Lower taxation can lead to huge overseas investment. Look at what is happening in Ireland. Taxing successful companies is not the way forward to prosperity. You completely ignore the cost and implications of covid which have impacted the whole western world.
Whilst I agree I also disagree with the agruement for example stopping the bankers bonus years ago, they wouldn’t do it for fear we wouldn’t get the best people wanting to work in the uk, well fuck them if that’s their attitude get someone who wants to do well but also pay their way, twats getting bonuses after been bailed out by the public purse was obscene.
The crash, the pandemic and Brexit have been a perfect storm, add in turmoil around the world leading to mass immigration across the globe, people have to look at a bigger picture than little England, Covid showed how much countries are tied to each other, I really don’t know what the answer is now, it’s almost gone too far to pull back, the woman struggling at the food bank with a couple of kids struggling for rent doesn’t give a fuck about all this, she just wants a roof over her head and feed her kids. I’d be happy to pay an extra 2p in taxation, if it gave free public transport to help people out, sorted out public sector wages to enable us to make inroads and look after our elderly .
It’s a shit show which ever way we look at it.

i find it utterly staggering that a man so wooden and un inspirational made it to the top of his trade.

Given that he was a very successful barrister, and then DPP, perhaps having that X factor in front of the cameras in debates is a poor indicator of how good someone might be at running a country.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Major, Brown, May, Truss and Sunak weren't greatly inspirational either. Johnson had a shtick that covered for being quite an awkward communicator. Thatcher was mocked for speaking in a genuinely odd manner, which she'd cultivated because her original speaking style was so off putting.

Blair and Cameron were both excellent communicators, but, when right now, Farage is probably the most natural communicator, is that really what we're going to look for?

I believe Somalia has very low taxes indeed, so why are investors not flocking there?

One factor is that investors like stable countries where the rule of law applies and contracts mean something. You cannot have a stable country where everything is falling apart at the seams and where the government has contempt for the rule of law and judges. Turning the UK into a tin-pot version of Russia will not attract investors.

Not really worthy of a response. Lower taxation can lead to huge overseas investment. Look at what is happening in Ireland. Taxing successful companies is not the way forward to prosperity. You completely ignore the cost and implications of covid which have impacted the whole western world.

Not sure we can follow Ireland's methods. It's a country of 5m people, and has many of the features of a tax haven, and much of the overseas investment is simply money running through the country.

Overseas investment isn't in infinite supply. Low tax may allow you to compete, but I don't think any of the large economies want a race to the bottom.

When most of the electorate realise that sunak is totally out of touch with the real life consequences of 14 years of self-servatives government, it is very relevant in this election, and you don't rise through the legal profession to head the CPS without being able to think on your feet.
Here's looking forward to tomorrow week with a Labour government and hopefully a Lib-dems opposition
Where would you draw the line then on the level of wealth or income that dictates people are out of touch, unsuitable for high office and indeed worthy of criticism?

It’s presumably a level far below Sunak’s actual level of wealth. Any millionaire is no doubt a fair target, although you could argue that anyone earning north of say 200k hasn’t really faced a proper squeeze over the past couple of years, so they’re out of touch too.

So anyone with a successful business or professional career should presumably be precluded from running for PM?

Despite your rather rude tone i will give you my opinion. We need to move away from immigration as the ponzi scheme as the only way to grow our economy. People are not having kids as young largely as they cant buy a house before age 30. This is principally down to a supply and demand imbalance. The cost of housing is the reason most poeple are struggling. I see it at work - kids on 40k with £300k mortgages with their partner really struggling to get by.

Millions of people moving to this country every few years is not the answer. This places a huge strain on services but more importantly we simply do not build enough homes to accommodate the increased population forverr driving up what is generally peoples largest expense. A new approach to education, tax incentives to encourage people to work part time longer past retirement age, mid career re training programmes, a reform in planning law and a huge infrastructure investment programme funded by the private sector is also part of the answer. Look at Ireland now - lower taxes attracting sovereign wealth funds. Higher taxation leads time and time again to slower growth. It will not work.

The Tories have been a disaster since Truss but Covid was a huge game changer for our economy and despite the shit i will get on here i would have loved to have seen how we would have done had Boris not been attacked from all sides during and after the pandemic.

I am prepared to see how Labour do the next 8 to 10 years and hope they improve the country. Lets see hey, I sincerely hope they do.
Some wise words in that response. Housing costs are crippling in this country and a rapidly rising population only makes that worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.