General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 225 59.7%
  • Conservative

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • Reform

Votes: 50 13.3%
  • Green Party

Votes: 21 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 40 10.6%

• Total voters
Strong argument.

Thanks for your contribution to the debate.
I was reacting to the strength of your argument actually.

Labour putting that in their manifesto without clarifying how they’re going to actually address the issue is about as meaningful as Miss World contestants saying they’re going to achieve world peace.

Since the end of 2019 there’s been a roughy one million increase in inactivity for people of working age. Three quarters of that increase is people on long-term sick, while the number of people retiring early on private pensions - mentioned by some on here - has actually gone down.

That long-term sick number could reduce if NHS treatments can increase- not rocket science - but I would think that readdressing how people are classified as being able to work or not should also be a priority and I would be very sceptical about Labour doing that.

Most interestingly, however, the ONS also ask inactive people whether they actually want to work, as well as why they are inactive. And since the end of 2019 the number of inactive people who say they don’t want to work has in fact increased by well over a million.

So I would think it’s quite difficult to suggest that there hasn’t been a change in the willingness of people to go out to work, and that’s the issue that needs to be addressed.

Maybe employers need to offer better pay and conditions. Anyone who believes in the market should see that as the obvious driver.

When I retired early I no longer needed to work and it would have taken big bucks to get me back into another poxy office, that I can tell you. And I mean big bucks.

Covid was revolutionary. It taught people a) they could live on less and b) that work is not all that life is about.

Real pay in many sectors has dropped significantly during this government's rule. So it's small wonder if fewer people want to work. It might be an interesting academic exercise to tease out all the reasons behind the change though.

In my view, one factor is that many employers treat their employees with what is little short of contempt. Loyalty cuts both ways. Always has, always will.

Maybe employers need to offer better pay and conditions. Anyone who believes in the market should see that as the obvious driver.

When I retired early I no longer needed to work and it would have taken big bucks to get me back into another poxy office, that I can tell you. And I mean big bucks.

Covid was revolutionary. It taught people a) they could live on less and b) that work is not all that life is about.

Real pay in many sectors has dropped significantly during this government's rule. So it's small wonder if fewer people want to work. It might be an interesting academic exercise to tease out all the reasons behind the change though.

In my view, one factor is that many employers treat their employees with what is little short of contempt. Loyalty cuts both ways. Always has, always will.

Real wages have dropped but real take home pay (which is the only thing that matters) has increased - at least up to the huge inflation we witnessed, now it’s possible it’s lagging it but as a general point.

Which all goes back to your earlier point about the tax payer propping up poor pay either through tax breaks / in work benefits - it’s all taking away money from programmes we expect our government to enact.

…….and in a new slant on an old tactic, the tories have stopped blaming the last Labour government and are now blaming……………the next Labour government!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.