General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 57.2%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Reform

Votes: 70 15.1%
  • Green Party

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 51 11.0%

• Total voters
How will labour improve this country ? Brown destroyed uk pensions

What could labour have done differently in covid?

Maybe Tory’s should have brought national debt down while rates were so low

Interest rates have gone up around the world , not just the UK
No shit Sherlock but unless you were living on Mars at the time, mortgage interest rates in the UK rocketed as a direct result of Kamikaze Kwarteng's budget and are still far from correcting themselves. In fact, the situation would've been miles worse if the Bank of England hadn't stepped in with a £50bn bond-buying package. Did that pass you by when it happened?

There was a news report the other day when the family crossing were told it was 100% safe. You may be overestimating their understanding of the dangers from the comfort of your own knowledge. I suspect their understanding on Rwanda human rights and the UK's policy of deportation is going to be pretty low as well if they can be convinced that going across the English Channel on an inflatable is safe.

All of which dooms said policy to making any difference whatsoever to the number of people who attempt it. IMHO.

Precisely, I agree, they are either guarded from the facts - or they are aware of them and are taking the risk anyway. Either way it doesn’t work.

I think deterrents are a vastly overrated concept in general. They tend to be flawed at quite a basic psychological level, e.g. the death penalty is an objectively weak deterrent. Drug prohibition likewise.

Across all of these topics there’s a consistent thread that threatening a punishment is far less effective than actually addressing the symptoms.

Brown absolutely did not destroy UK pensions.

For reference.

Fuck me, there's some serious straw-clutching going on here. Have a read of James O'Brien's book How They Broke Britain and you might actually find that for Brown's faults - and I'm not even sure destroying uk pensions is one of them - it was HE who secured an agreement amongst the world's leaders to go with his proposal for navigating our way out of the 2008 global banking crisis.

I retired 3 years ago. My pensions are ok - they are enough to get by on. Maybe Brown forgot to raid the companies I worked for or maybe you are buying a story fed to you.

Not have used it as a way to enrich yourselves and your mates and spend a fortune on over priced stuff whilst freezing professional regular suppliers out of the market.

Never gonna happen they are SELF - then PARTY - then COUNTRY

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.