General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Truss was a comedy gold moment.

State of her, making everyone wait, the slow clapping, then the refusal to speak.

She’s like someone who’s just never learned how to act in front of other people. Like she was locked in a basement her entire childhood and had to learn how society works in her 20s or something.

Not necessarily. I'm not a farage supporter but I believe in democracy, however misguided it may seem to be at times.
Farage is a racist ****, but people have voted for him and his party, and he and his ilk will sit in their seats as is our will as a nation.
He will have little sway in the house, thank fuck, he's all mouth and in the scheme of things, his self proclaimed victory will mean fuck all going forward.
I supposse our archiac parliamentry rules could stiffle the **** a little.

As an MP he has to adhere to certain level of behaviour in the chamber, he won't get away with the bullshit he would pull as an MEP

No idea where Clacton is but I can assume it’s voting Demographic is cunty
The protest vote is real, esp knowing it was going to be a Labour landslide.

Interesting that in many of the early results, it wasn’t Labour picking up VOTES, it was Labour picking up SEATS, because Reform was taking Tory votes.

There is a lesson in that, if it gets through the cacophony of the historic Labour landslide.

The Right was hurt by a rising Far Right, not the Left, and thus the Far Right will feel emboldened not only by their votes, but their increasing ability to say “I told you so!” if their core platform issues are not only not addressed, but get worse.

Labour will be especially happy that the Far Right harmed the Right (much as the Far Left harms the Left in the States) and that their majority provides significant POLITICAL insulation.

However, in an era of reflexive social media, politics today is increasingly fluid and reactionary, and sea change occurs far quicker than anyone predicted just a few years ago. Both Macron and Sunak have been taught valuable lessons that Starmer would do well to heed.

Social Policies need to be carefully managed to ensure they serve the constituents that brought them to the dance, while ensuring they do as much as possible to snuff out the inevitable negative commentary from the Right & extreme Right.

A stronger immigration policy coupled with a “home front” social agenda feels, from 4,000 miles away (and talking to my educated siblings), to be the sweet spot for Starmer and Labour, if they can corral their party to accept that it is the path to long term power.

I will be interested to see the ongoing analysis and predictions, both in the media and from the broad spectrum (!) of Bluemooners who engage in political discourse.

We’ve got enough of our own SERIOUS problems over here to keep my reading list full, but my thoughts are never far from home (which is Manchester, by way of Torquay, for those who get sucked in by the screen name).

Good luck to us all!

I supposse our archiac parliamentry rules could stiffle the **** a little.

As an MP he has to adhere to certain level of behaviour in the chamber, he won't get away with the bullshit he would pull as an MEP
Indeed, but the gravitas he will assume now, based on results, will only further inflate his ego…and leverage his already very public persona.

One thing is certain, he is not going away after being so clearly emboldened.

I’m glad they didn’t get 13 seats, but for reform to get around 15% of the vote is quite worrying. Millions of people are now voting for them.

I know it’s our electoral system but the Lib Dem’s getting 50+ seats, but only being around 10% doesn’t seem right either

Labour seemingly got around 35% of the vote, and the Conservative party got 23%. Yet Labour got roughly three and a half times as many seats as their rivals. 35% seems, to me anyway, a pretty low percentage of the vote to achieve such a massive win.

The turnout, lower than I expected, is pretty poor though and shows, even when drastic change is needed, that the huge swathes of this country are apathetic to politicians and politics in general.

Be interesting to see the split of the demographics who did vote.

I’ll guess high turnout on younger voters and low elderly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.