General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Exactly. He owns 53% of the party and it is utterly beholden to him in spirit and electoral necessity. Farage is willing to do some pretty grubby stuff for money, cameo videos saying up the Ra for 60 quid etc, him owning a company like that will tempt his worst instincts. I also think he will be an awful MP. He has not done well under the scrutiny of his policies these last few weeks. Clacton is about to have a very disinterested MP.

This seems apt now he’s been elected.

I supposse our archiac parliamentry rules could stiffle the **** a little.

As an MP he has to adhere to certain level of behaviour in the chamber, he won't get away with the bullshit he would pull as an MEP
Im.concerned what he'll say using Parliamentary privilege because he can't be sued.

MPs who are republicans usually take the oath with their fingers obviously crossed behind their backs.
In any case the GFA requires them to obey the law while working democratically to change it. Fair enough, but they can’t pick and choose and the law requires the oath.
Personally I think it should be fucked off and they swear allegiance to the people they’re meant to represent.

Shown to be as sleazy as every other party. If they got independence who would pay for the things that are currently subsidised by the tax payers of England.
Their last official policy left that unanswered. Previously they wanted independence but without fiscal independence ie the English taxpayer should continue to pay for free university tuition, free social care etc for a foreign country. And if they join the EU, the border then comes into question too.

I don’t have many kind things to say about the Conservatives and what they’ve done to this country but there are some small things that do give me hope… Robert Buckland’s concession speech was excellent, and goes to show there are still a few Tory’s sprinkled in there who would resist the party’s lurch to the right.

Secondly, Sunak, for all his flaws, knew when he was beaten and is facilitating a peaceful transition of power. This might seem like a bare minimum but you only have to look over the pond to see how easily that will to maintain order in democracy can easily fall apart.

I hope that we now start to address some of the problems that have led to the rise of Reform, mainly the sorry state of public services that has encouraged people to allocate blame in unfair ways. Also the misinformation that is now endemic because of the manner in which people get their news these days and the lack of accountability in media companies.

I think Keir is a decent man at heart. And he’s clearly capable, you don’t get so far in the CPS without being capable. I just hope and ask that he finds it in himself to be bold where it’s called for, and take the actions that are actually going to make a difference in people’s lives. Show Europe the path to prosperity is not through populism but through moderate and honest governance with some solid and compassionate left wing ideas sprinkled in there.
Fine sentiments but……

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.