General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
I am confused, they are saying an election will give the people a chance to have their say on Brexit.

Well what if I agree with a party with regard to Brexit but an against their other general policies?

I just don't see how this works, surely an election and Brexit need to be two seperate items.
In that scenario you should have a good long hard think about whether you really want that party to be leading you through the most important time in modern UK history tbh.

Surely Labour will clock on that the longer BoJo has to wait the worse he looks - and the more drawn out the campaign the more scrutiny. Late November I reckon.

Farage said as much in TV this AM.

Would BoJo have the authority to do any deal withthe BXP? Establishment tories would never sanction it. I assume they will have to lump it.

The fight for the soul of the Tory Party is on.

It's a tussle between Harold Macmillan and Margaret Thatcher.

In that scenario you should have a good long hard think about whether you really want that party to be leading you through the most important time in modern UK history tbh.

I have to admit that i am baffled by it all now,

As i understand it the Tories want us out ( or at least the leadership does).
The Liberals want another refferendum which i take as wanting to remain.
The Labour party i have no real idea what they want.

I think would have to disagree on you on this with one fundamental aspect you failed to recognise that Boris (taking his own words from his book on Churchill) Put his shirt on a horse called No Deal Brexit by 31st October 2019. . . and his bet failed in spectacular fashion”. This was his catch line his centre piece for getting the job as PM and if he fails to do this he is toast no matter what bluff and bluster he can come up he will have had his hat nailed on.

If.

As it stands, here's what I am predicting will happen. (I am not delighted by this prospect by any means, by the way, I am a remainer.)

Once the no-deal bill has finally passed, Johnson will once again call for a GE and Corybn will feel unable to refuse it. The objection that we cannot have an election until the threat of a no deal Brexit is removed, is no longer valid. Resisting further, will only damage Labour's standing further and diminish any chance of victory in an inevitable election in November or soon after. So he will agree, and we WILL have an mid-October GE.

Boris and Farage will do a deal of some kind and whilst that will lose a lot of moderate remain-inclined Tory voters, those losses will be more than compensated for by the joining of the two forces. Whilst on the other side of the fence, the Remain vote will be destructively impaired by being split between Labour and the LibDems.

The net upshot is that Boris will gain a slim majority, my guess around 20, but embolded by the election win and with the extra seats, he will repeal he no-deal bill and we will leave on October 31st. Whether the EU will throw us a last bone which enables that to be with some kind of deal, or not, we'll see. Probably not because it will be too late.

You may laugh at this. Many probably will. But let's just see.

Fair point.

Johnson was asked yesterday if the party is lurching to the right and (apparently - I didn't see the exchange) he said absolutely not, which seemed to placate the MP concerned. I hope this is true, because I agree, winning anything from the extreme left or right is very, very difficult. That's not where the electorate sit.

Right wing or left wing gets banded about far too much.

For Labour anyone who disagrees is right wing and well for anyone else if you don't agree with Brexit then you are a hard left fruitcake.

This senseless identity politics is a major reason why there is such division.

If anything with domestic policy so far announced, the Tories are moving further left not further right.

Down the rabbit hole we go....

In the Brexit committee Michael Gove has just finished answering a series of questions about how Dover would cope with lorry arrivals in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Hilary Benn, the committee chair, did not sound hugely reassured, and he concluded by asking Gove to admit that no one actually knows what will happen in the event of no deal. Gove did not contest this, but replied:

The future is known only to the Almighty.

Benn said unfortunately the Almighty would not be appearing as a witness.

At least Gove knows the blue bits on the map are water.

I am confused, they are saying an election will give the people a chance to have their say on Brexit.

Well what if I agree with a party with regard to Brexit but an against their other general policies?

I just don't see how this works, surely an election and Brexit need to be two seperate items.
Yes so you decide what’s more important to you. Brexit or your political beliefs for five years.

Hence me probably voting for a PM I don’t want as opposed to leaving the EU.

Down the rabbit hole we go....

In the Brexit committee Michael Gove has just finished answering a series of questions about how Dover would cope with lorry arrivals in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Hilary Benn, the committee chair, did not sound hugely reassured, and he concluded by asking Gove to admit that no one actually knows what will happen in the event of no deal. Gove did not contest this, but replied:

The future is known only to the Almighty.

Benn said unfortunately the Almighty would not be appearing as a witness.

At least Gove knows the blue bits on the map are water.
The almighty disagrees and is ready to give evidence.
_96094980_pablo_zabaleta_gettyimages-2.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.