General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
I don't see the issue. Parliament has already I thought passed the legislation to stop us going no-deal and to force the pm to ask for another extension and this automatically becomes law as part of the prorogation process as I understand it? If so a GE now is fine.

A General Election changes that and if he moves the date it can still be forced through I think.

Labour have no motivation for a GE now. Wait 2 months and the Tories will have destroyed themselves by then.

There will be a GE. It’ll be after October 31st. The people wanting a GE now are desperate Tories.
Not if they pass an October 15th GE on Monday - sorry for the repeat. The new extension was carried with a 27 vote majority, if the rebels reverse their vote - which they should do with the assurance from their PM that the election date will not be changed - that will enable the passage of a one clause/simple majority election bill and defeat any amendments. There is no good reason now for any Tories to give the Brexit Party an advantage - really baffled why none of the army of political pundits has pointed this out yet, their story is just Boris snookered when really nothing has changed.

Last edited:
A General Election changes that and if he moves the date it can still be forced through I think.

Labour have no motivation for a GE now. Wait 2 months and the Tories will have destroyed themselves by then.
Fair enough. I also think that BJ provides a unifying figure of hate. As soon as a GE campaign starts the divisions across the house become as clear as day. Tbf to the lib dems they are open about being revoke/remain, but many others who feel the same but hide behind the 'deal' would probably lose their seats. I don't predict a victory for anyone btw. I think we'd end up in a hung parliament with a govt still with one,arm tied behind its back. That should also suit Remainers, as any sort of leave would need a clear majority to get it through.

If we had an election on the 18th & BJ won, he could still pull us out on 31st.

That's what this is about simple.
OF COURSE he could, and rightly so. That's WHY he should be allowed to have a GE in October.

What on earth do you expect??? I seriously wonder about you guys sometimes.

If the people vote for something in a GE - for that's what Johnson would be standing for - OF COURSE he should be able to do it.

That's why blocking the GE is so offensive. It's basically saying to the electorate, I know you'd like to decide whether we leave on October 31st, or not, but we're not letting you.

Not if they pass an October 15th GGE on Monday - sorry for the repeat. The new extension was carried with a 27 vote majority, if the rebels reverse their vote - which they should do with the assurance from their PM that the election date will not be changed - that will enable the passage of a one clause/simple majority election bill and defeat any amendments. There is no good reason now for any Tories to give the Brexit Party an advantage - really baffled why none of the army of political pundits has pointed this out yet, their story is just Boris snookered when really nothing has changed.
Very very very good point.

Although, doing it this way would still be open to amendments and it would have to get through the Lords. But he might just be able to carry this off.

No you’ve taken off your logical remain hat since May’s gone and have gone back to your Tory hat and you’re missing the point.

Johnson would move the election date to after October 31st. This specific act would be undemocratic as it wouldn’t give the public the chance to block no deal. Do you understand?
Give me bloody strength. It's like trying to train a cat at times.

Not if Labour required a legally binding date of say October 15th. Labour know this is possible and yet they haven't asked for it. I wonder why that is? Because it BUGGERS UP their excuse.

A GE changes it IF the public give Johnson that endorsement.

So you are saying we must not allow the public to vote, in case leaving without a deal on October 31st IS WHAT THEY REALLY WANT. Honestly, remainer though I am, that is fucking disgraceful, it really is.

Very very very good point.

Although, doing it this way would still be open to amendments and it would have to get through the Lords. But he might just be able to carry this off.
There is not a cat in hell’s chance that the opposition will allow Johnson to dictate the GE timetable. You Tory boys are deluded if you think that an October election could be back on because the MP’s that have had the whip withdrawn will suddenly give Johnson a lifeline.

Johnson said we would be out ‘do or die’ in the 31st October. No sensible Opposition would help him with the ‘doing’ - he has the opportunity to go to the EU and get us the deal he told us he could get. He should be concentrating on that

Give me bloody strength. It's like trying to train a cat at times.

Not if Labour required a legally binding date of say October 15th. Labour know this is possible and yet they haven't asked for it. I wonder why that is? Because it BUGGERS UP their excuse.

Equally the same can be said as to why the Tories have not fixed a date. You can’t just blame labour here. There must also be a reason why BJ doesn’t want to set the date in Law.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.