General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
This is the crux of it for me. It's been suggested on here that Brexit-supporting Tory MPs scuppered the vote on the deal but there are far more Remain-supporting MPs in the HoC. You only have to look at the graphic showing how many Labour MPs voted against it. If they'd all voted in favour of that deal then it would've pissed in and No Deal would be consigned to history.

They couldn't .... because the 'deal' that was on the table failed to meet the promises made by the Conservative ministers in the run up to the referendum (the six tests) and essentially failed to protect jobs / services / peoples rights.

In a constitutional crisis where government is paralyzed, how can you possibly advocate not allowing the people to have a say because you personally won't like the result?!

Labour are not in power, they are a million miles from power. The reason we are in this mess is BECAUSE of Labour's absence in opposition for three years.

Labour could of prevented no deal on three occasions and consistently voted for no deal instead. The beauty of their position is they now plan to bring back the deal they voted against up against remain!! Unbelievable.

I hold the view that I no longer care what the result is. I just want it sorted and if the people have their say then that result is never wrong regardless of what it is.

Those opposing know what the result will be and they are essentially holding the public and the will of the public in contempt. The arrogance and elitism is just astounding.

Let's just put political parties to a side for one minute and consider what you are asking the public to do. In the first principle the government is there to govern for the greater good of the people. How can any government offer up a chance to make the majority of its citizens poorer, possible death because people could and will probably die, oh and effectively shut down industries in this country like the car and farming industries over night. Is that the action of any responsibility, it would be similar to offering to have a referendum on going to war with another country and no government in the right mind would do it.

Three years on from the election and one of the lessons that we have learnt is the impact that a no deal would have on this country and now that the papers are being released why can't we have the information to inform those that want to be informed the rest can walk around with their heads up their arses saying fake news. So you are no holding the public to contempt when you are telling them why you can' t have this as an option and protecting them from this.

Mate, there are plenty of manifesto pledges that have been broken on all sides down the years but this topic dwarfs all those in terms of the amount of people who voted. Changing their stance from Leave to Remain is going to annoy and confuse a lot of Labour voters for sure, and it isn’t a minor titbit in a manifesto that can be swept under the carpet.
It's laughable to even think that a complete about turn on leave to remain isn't going to affect Labour much.
London, Scotland and Ulster are the only areas that returned remain majorities, the rest of the country is dominated
by leave, Labour, with this ridiculous stance will suffer, I think massively in the North in particular.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

Johnson is seen as the more popular leader, and the Tories are ahead in the polls, although we all know about those.
A Conservative/BP coalition would scupper Labour imo, whenever this election happens, we'll see if that course of
action will be undertaken.

Check out the manifesto Michael Foot stood on and you will see what a visionary he actually was. Thatcher enacted some of his policies and he foresaw that there would be a majority to leave the EU.

I supported Unilateral disarmament, I attended CND marches as a 12 year old and remain committed to CND today. Nuclear weapons are of course a separate debate, but why on earth would you want to spend Billions on a weapon you can never use, whilst decimating the conventional forces that you can is beyond me.
Check out the election result, his vision of nuclear disarmament went the way it was predicted to go,
down the pan. This Labour now has a leader with identical views, but without the intelligence, and is further
to the left, but it's very much like 1979 in many respects.

In a constitutional crisis where government is paralyzed, how can you possibly advocate not allowing the people to have a say because you personally won't like the result?!

Labour are not in power, they are a million miles from power. The reason we are in this mess is BECAUSE of Labour's absence in opposition for three years.

Labour could of prevented no deal on three occasions and consistently voted for no deal instead. The beauty of their position is they now plan to bring back the deal they voted against up against remain!! Unbelievable.

I hold the view that I no longer care what the result is. I just want it sorted and if the people have their say then that result is never wrong regardless of what it is.

Those opposing know what the result will be and they are essentially holding the public and the will of the public in contempt. The arrogance and elitism is just astounding.

Yet again you nail it.

Check out the election result, his vision of nuclear disarmament went the way it was predicted to go,
down the pan. This Labour now has a leader with identical views, but without the intelligence, and is further
to the left, but it's very much like 1979 in many respects.

What a doofus!

Very much like 1979? Jim Callaghan? I suppose when you know bugger all it gets a bit confusing.

That mysterious will of the people trotted out I see. The fall back position of the desperate. The will of the people for what it is worth was ambigious and unclear, and I will repeat it is because the referendum was unclear and it was flawed.

To blame the Labour Party is ridiculous, they are not the government and to suggest it is their fault shows a total lack of understanding of how our democracy works. A lack of opposition is opposition in itself, because that lack is not confirmation and if you cannot see that well I don't really know what to add. You then confound your own critique with saying Labour did confirm no deal by their vote, that is absolute hypocrisy and totally devoid of thought. They either did or they didn't, they cannot do both as you suggest.

I have long held the neutral view which is different to the not caring view, I dont oppose leave nor do i confirm remain, that position is because i believe in Parliamentary democracy and not direct democracy. Yet you no longer care whilst also accusing those who are responsible for our parliamentary sovereignty elected by that mysterious will of the people are elitist and arrogant. That is utter nonsense.

That mysterious will of the people trotted out I see. The fall back position of the desperate. The will of the people for what it is worth was ambigious and unclear, and I will repeat it is because the referendum was unclear and it was flawed.

To blame the Labour Party is ridiculous, they are not the government and to suggest it is their fault shows a total lack of understanding of how our democracy works. A lack of opposition is opposition in itself, because that lack is not confirmation and if you cannot see that well I don't really know what to add. You then confound your own critique with saying Labour did confirm no deal by their vote, that is absolute hypocrisy and totally devoid of thought. They either did or they didn't, they cannot do both as you suggest.

I have long held the neutral view which is different to the not caring view, I dont oppose leave nor do i confirm remain, that position is because i believe in Parliamentary democracy and not direct democracy. Yet you no longer care whilst also accusing those who are responsible for our parliamentary sovereignty elected by that mysterious will of the people are elitist and arrogant. That is utter nonsense.

So did you abstain in the EU Referendum vote? Not a trick question by the way. I'm guessing you voted Leave but could be wrong

The current impasse is clearly not just on the Labour Party but those complaining about us careering towards No Deal need to look at our MPs and how they voted on the one and only deal that was on the table. Granted May's deal was far from perfect (are we ever going to get a perfect deal?), but given the choice again between that and the looming possibility of No Deal, maybe some would've voted differently?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.