General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
Just having them on the ballot will put a big dent in the tory pro brexit vote, maybe only 5 - 15% of any vote share but enough to kill off any Tory surge. Farage has never done ground level campaigning - that is in part why he has never won a single seat. He does however run a strong central campaign based around a brand and a single policy. At the next GE the harder he pushes the more votes BoJo/tories lose - it is that simple.

I can see that the Brexit Party would take votes in some Tory seats without really campaigning. But those will mainly be in the very safe Tory seats where the Colonel Blimps reside.

Surely Labour would support it in the commons.

I don't know if they would or wouldn't, if it was me I would not purely for the reasons that I think the act was ridiculous in the first place and why should the opposition enable the governments wishes.

It will come down to who has the most to gain, but I would look at it as who has the most to lose.

"an election is the democratic way forward" as Corbyn has just said. There's no going back from that, is there?
I haven't seen that, so, if this latest blocking exercise works, and a GE is called in response, which then, as you
say, is supported by Labour, predictions of a Tory win with approx 20 - 28 majority is on the cards, even assuming the BP
gets a few. All based on polling, which we know can be flawed, but very interesting to say the least.

And how many of those 17.4 million voted on the basis that this would be the 'easiest deal in history'? There seems to be a view around that everyone who voted for Brexit voted for a no-deal Brexit and that isn't necessarily the case. This has to be balanced against the factors that you mention. I don't think a GE is going to be as clear cut as you suggest and the worst case scenario is if it results in another hung parliament with no majority to do anything - what then?
Your first question has been discussed in detail, and the assumption that leavers will change tack because
of campaign promises that have been rammed down their throats by remainers as reasons to switch, will now be tested.

The Brexit Party will stay away from standing Tory MPs who have backed the PM this week, and stay away from key Tory target seats where the candidate is pro-Brexit. The Remainer Tories will be deselected and the sweetest bit is that they are going to stick their own necks on the chopping board. Boris agrees to leave the Labour Leave areas for the Brexit party to mop up. Job done.

You may well be right. And then all of those Labour supporters will get their wish - a no deal Brexit. They will also get 5 years of a Tory/Brexit party coalition.

Be careful what you wish for.

Your first question has been discussed in detail, and the assumption that leavers will change tack because
of campaign promises that have been rammed down their throats by remainers as reasons to switch, will now be tested.
Spoiler: They won't. Boris will have no deal as a fall back option if he fails to secure an improved deal in his manifesto and the Tory Remainers will be gone. If he then wins the election he will have a mandate to leave with no deal.

You may well be right. And then all of those Labour supporters will get their wish - a no deal Brexit. They will also get 5 years of a Tory/Brexit party coalition.

Be careful what you wish for.
I'm in a Labour Leave area with an MP who has done everything he can to block Brexit. I can't fucking wait to put my tick in the Brexit Party box, and I'm far from alone in that. These fuckers need a lesson in who is the boss in a democracy.

I'm in a Labour Leave area with an MP who has done everything he can to block Brexit. I can't fucking wait to put my tick in the Brexit Party box, and I'm far from alone in that. These fuckers need a lesson in who is the boss in a democracy.

Fine. Teach them a lesson.

And enjoy 5 years of Boris and Nigel.

Spoiler: They won't. Boris will have no deal as a fall back option if he fails to secure an improved deal in his manifesto and the Tory Remainers will be gone. If he then wins the election he will have a mandate to leave with no deal.

What if he falls ten seats short and forms a Brexit party coalition? Is that a mandate for a Boris no deal?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.