General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
17.4 million people voted to leave. Of those who didn't there are many who find the defiance of democracy intolerable. Those 2 demographics far outnumber the hardcore remainers who claim to be anti-no deal. Their cover was blown long ago. A manifesto of "taking back control of parliament" "enacting the will of the people" will piss a GE.

How will that balance against handing control of parliament to a narcissistic demagogue with a history of lying and immorality.

If it does come down to democracy, it will come down to what definition of democracy people think is correct. The supremacy of Parliament or the supremacy of the people. Taking back control of parliament and handing it on a plate to a dictator was never on the agenda but if that is the will of the people then we are in for some very very dark days ahead. We will be voting for Fascism. If that pisses a GE then we will get what we deserve and it will not be pretty.

Just having them on the ballot will put a big dent in the tory pro brexit vote, maybe only 5 - 15% of any vote share but enough to kill off any Tory surge. Farage has never done ground level campaigning - that is in part why he has never won a single seat. He does however run a strong central campaign based around a brand and a single policy. At the next GE the harder he pushes the more votes BoJo/tories lose - it is that simple.

Agreed.

If there's a general election, the best Farage can do for his cause is to do nothing.....

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcea0370c-c8e4-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0

To do fuck all.

Agreed.

If there's a general election, the best Farage can do for his cause is to do nothing.....

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcea0370c-c8e4-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0

To do fuck all.

Agree - but does that suit his style and his personal position. He could be elected as an MP and earn a boat load in donations to his off shore domiciled political party. Does he really care about getting BoJo a clear majority to get brexit done or does he care about his own situation and funding.

Agree - but does that suit his style and his personal position. He could be elected as an MP and earn a boat load in donations to his off shore domiciled political party. Does he really care about getting BoJo a clear majority to get brexit done or does he care about his own situation and funding.

I really don't know the answer to that.

I've no idea if Johnson and Farage have any personal history.

Politically Johnson has shat on Farage, at least on the surface he has, the problem with professional liars is it's difficult to know what they want.

I really don't know the answer to that.

I've no idea if Johnson and Farage have any personal history.

Politically Johnson has shat on Farage, at least on the surface he has, the problem with professional liars is it's difficult to know what they want.

This is definitely the case. At this moment in time I’m finding it difficult to predict what Johnson will do. He’s being pressured towards no deal whilst claiming he can do a deal, he can’t. Will he go through with no deal when it will be so damaging to the country and he’ll be blamed or will he buckle by trying to fluff up the WA or completely buckle by calling a GE or trying to get an extension.

We can’t trust a word he says so it’s so tricky to know.

The Brexit Party will stay away from standing Tory MPs who have backed the PM this week, and stay away from key Tory target seats where the candidate is pro-Brexit. The Remainer Tories will be deselected and the sweetest bit is that they are going to stick their own necks on the chopping board. Boris agrees to leave the Labour Leave areas for the Brexit party to mop up. Job done.
This. Plus, because of the fixed term parliament act, as stated on here, I think the PM would need the house to authorise
a GE,( I've not checked, but think that's the case),then if Labour, who are a fair stretch behind in the polls (I know, I know),
start whinging about it and don't support a GE
when they've been calling for one every 10 minutes, their credibility is shot.

This. Plus, because of the fixed term parliament act, as stated on here, I think the PM would need the house to authorise
a GE,( I've not checked, but think that's the case),then if Labour, who are a fair stretch behind in the polls (I know, I know),
start whinging about it and don't support a GE
when they've been calling for one every 10 minutes, their credibility is shot.

"an election is the democratic way forward" as Corbyn has just said. There's no going back from that, is there?

17.4 million people voted to leave. Of those who didn't there are many who find the defiance of democracy intolerable. Those 2 demographics far outnumber the hardcore remainers who claim to be anti-no deal. Their cover was blown long ago. A manifesto of "taking back control of parliament" "enacting the will of the people" will piss a GE.

And how many of those 17.4 million voted on the basis that this would be the 'easiest deal in history'? There seems to be a view around that everyone who voted for Brexit voted for a no-deal Brexit and that isn't necessarily the case. This has to be balanced against the factors that you mention. I don't think a GE is going to be as clear cut as you suggest and the worst case scenario is if it results in another hung parliament with no majority to do anything - what then?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.