General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
Why are Corbyn's approval ratings steadily declining then do you think? From a high two years ago, he's been dropping, dropping, dropping. Seems somewhat paradoxical that all these people who thought he was great before - but didn't vote for him - now think he's a bit shit really - but decide they will vote for him?

Fumble is right about one thing though (broken clock etc): I do fear Corbyn. I don't remotely expect him to win a GE or to ever become PM. But the prospect that it could even conceivably happen, is terrifying.

I don't rate Corbyn at all. His politics would also whack me hard personally from several angles. I'm desperate for a centrist Labour leader. Johnson would likely make me much better off financially.

But I'd vote for Corbyn like a shot to stay in the EU. or even for a second referendum. That would be my short term pain for long term gain.

Yougov polls have the Tories on 10 ahead of Labour.

The question really is can TBP win seats to bridge a majority if the Tories fail to get enough.

There is also the DUP who will very likely opt for another pact.

I can't see how they can lose and I definitely cannot see how Corbyn can win.

Why are Corbyn's approval ratings steadily declining then do you think? From a high two years ago, he's been dropping, dropping, dropping. Seems somewhat paradoxical that all these people who thought he was great before - but didn't vote for him - now think he's a bit shit really - but decide they will vote for him?

Fumble is right about one thing though (broken clock etc): I do fear Corbyn. I don't remotely expect him to win a GE or to ever become PM. But the prospect that it could even conceivably happen, is terrifying.

That’s not the case though, the polls are volatile and not always accurate. The last polls I saw had Labour right up there in 2nd and that was before the commitment to another referendum.

The question really is can TBP win seats to bridge a majority if the Tories fail to get enough.

YouGov's polls have a track record of overstating Tory support. What do the other polls say?

According to YouGOV Corbyn has a 26% approval rating, Johnson only has 31 so I'm not sure he's doing that much better either

Forget our political differences.

If you don't already having a winning margin in the bag going in to an election, you have to work out where you're going to pick up votes.

Johnson's problem is it's difficult to see where he's going to pick up those votes, there aren't hordes of fence sitters with Johnson. The waters are further muddied because it seems Farage will field Brexit Party candidates to Johnson's right, screaming betrayal and whatnot.

For Labour there are opportunities to pick up votes, that's historically always been the case, the number of folk who state they'll never vote Labour is much smaller than those who state they'll never vote Tory.

Labour swims in a bigger pond of potential switch voters than the Tories, that's been true for some time.

Labour's route to power lies in undermining the Lib Dems, it's not inevitable, but it's doable. And, of course, producing a stonking manifesto, getting its ground game sorted and keeping MPs on side, which, given the recent turmoil in the Labour Party, looks a lot easier than in 2017.

Never underestimate a Party that can go from 25% to 40% in a matter of a few short weeks.

Oh, I totally agree. The thing is though, Corbyn had fuck-all to do with the peace process and the signing of the GFA and anyone claiming otherwise is talking bollocks. Unless Corbyn turning up at an Irish Republican meeting and observing a minute's silence for 8 IRA members taken out by the SAS in Loughall in 1987 constitutes brokering a peace deal that is.

The fact is that when it came to the peace process itself, Corbyn was nowhere near any of the main players:

Tony Blair
John Major before him
Mo Mowlam
Bill Clinton
John Hume (the man who I'd give most credit to)
David Trimble

And as much as many of us wouldn't want to admit it:

Gerry Adams
Martin McGuinness

All played their part. At no stage during the years of negotiations did Corbyn's name ever come up. Now, suddenly, in the past few years he's hilariously being credited as being a major part of it

At no time in my post did I say that JC was involved in the peace process. My point was that you have to sit down and talk at some stage. It is possible, and neither you or I know, that this did in some very small way allow both sides to come together. Like I say maybe it did or maybe it didn't but in the end bridges have to be built.

I don't think you need to read any right wing Tory rags to draw the conclusion he did. The Panorama programme a few weeks ago about anti-Semitism in the Labour Party was most enlightening. Of course, every single person involved with the programme could be part of an anti-Corbyn agenda.

The Panaroma programme was a hatchet job as has been proven, but still not denying there are issues which need be resolved. I am still waiting for the islamophia in the tory party version, I can't see that happening very soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.