General / Mental Health Support Thread

I have a public speaking event in Feb next year and have high, high anxiety about it. I can't stand getting up in front of people and speaking (despite being confident in everyday life/with my job that requires it) to a large audience.

I am assuming it's a common thing to those on here too? If so, when you needed to do a speech of some sort, how did you 'get over it' and be confident?

Cheers.
I know the answer to this one...you imagine yourself naked.

I know the answer to this one...you imagine yourself naked.
You imagine the people your addressing as naked and set your sight slightly above them was what I was told years ago when I did a 10 minute presentation to my peers. Probably depends on your audience mind !

You imagine the people your addressing as naked and set your sight slightly above them was what I was told years ago when I did a 10 minute presentation to my peers. Probably depends on your audience mind !
Oh... He could start off the speech with "Isn't it hot? Let's all get naked.." Or..." first to get naked wins a tenner"

Had an horrendous weekend spent most of it in bed.
Just could not get up.
I've managed to get out of bed today.
Might have to change medication.
I was even thinking about asking for Electroconvulsive Therapy.

Had an horrendous weekend spent most of it in bed.
Just could not get up.
I've managed to get out of bed today.
Might have to change medication.
I was even thinking about asking for Electroconvulsive Therapy.
Because of depression? What meds are you on? How long?

I have a public speaking event in Feb next year and have high, high anxiety about it. I can't stand getting up in front of people and speaking (despite being confident in everyday life/with my job that requires it) to a large audience.

I am assuming it's a common thing to those on here too? If so, when you needed to do a speech of some sort, how did you 'get over it' and be confident?

Cheers.

I had the same issue in my working days and suffered from insomnia prior to any public speaking and always felt myself blush during the event. However, when I asked for feedback from my manager and colleagues it was always positive.

The last time I had to do any public speaking was at my dad's funeral as my mum and sisters were too upset to do it, so I thought I better step up. I did a lot of preparation and made loads of notes, although I ended up ad libbing most of it. My dad's ex colleagues who I'd never met before told me at the wake that I'd done a fantastic job, and that really raised my confidence.

I don't think I'd hesitate to do something similar again, although these things generally feel easier once you are a bit older and stop worrying about what others think about you.

Cheers.

I have spoken to fairly large audiences a number of times.

What specifically are you anxious about?

Been on same ones for 8 years probably not working anymore
I've been on citalopram for over 20 years. They're probably doing nothing to help me now, but my body and brain will be used to them. The doc said I can change my medication (but the alternative can cause blood sugar problems, so it's a no-go for me) or increase the dose i'm on (20mg to 30mg daily)...which would provably be better for me. I'm not sure about it though.
You really need to get back to your doctor for a chat, mate. Don't suffer like that...you know yourself, you won't always feel that shitty.
Keep talking on here, too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.