Girl cryogenically frozen

You're not following. Science is already close to the stage where new organs can be grown through stem cells. There is every chance you could have a brand new set of her own organs grown for her if she was able to be defrosted in 100 years etc.

Organs are going to be trivially easy to repair / replace in a very short space of time. Growing replacement organs will be "easy". We can already see how it can be done, so the only debate it how long to perfect it? 10 years, 20, 50, 100, 200, 600? It's not a question of whether, it's when.

But once a brain has actually DIED and the cells themselves are no longer alive, the "person" is gone. There's no bringing that back. You'd have to replace about 100 billion individual brain cells, with new living ones, of exactly the same type, in exactly the same state, in exactly the same position and with exactly the same chemical micro-environment. And even if you did that, that assumes that people's consciousness is embodied ONLY by the physical attributes of the brain and that there is no more to it, i.e. no-one has a "soul". To do this would necessarily require you to know which cells existed and precisely - to a precision of nanometers - where they were at the moment the person stopped living. Without that information, it would be impossible to reconstruct the brain no matter what technology you had. 10,000 years, 10 million years, a billion years - I don't think we will EVER be able to do this.

Organs are going to be trivially easy to repair / replace in a very short space of time. Growing replacement organs will be "easy". We can already see how it can be done, so the only debate it how long to perfect it? 10 years, 20, 50, 100, 200, 600? It's not a question of whether, it's when.

But once a brain has actually DIED and the cells themselves are no longer alive, the "person" is gone. There's no bringing that back. You'd have to replace about 100 billion individual brain cells, with new living ones, of exactly the same type, in exactly the same state, in exactly the same position and with exactly the same chemical micro-environment. And even if you did that, that assumes that people's consciousness is embodied ONLY by the physical attributes of the brain and that there is no more to it, i.e. no-one has a "soul". To do this would necessarily require you to know which cells existed and precisely - to a precision of nanometers - where they were at the moment the person stopped living. Without that information, it would be impossible to reconstruct the brain no matter what technology you had. 10,000 years, 10 million years, a billion years - I don't think we will EVER be able to do this.
We have no idea how long brain cells stay alive though. It's my understanding that she was frozen more (or the cooling process started) or less immediately after her last natural breath.

I wonder if 100 years ago people said the same thing about the heart ,it would blow their minds that not only can you save damaged heart,which is what a heart attack is,it leaves lasting damage, but you could always get a new one put in
The brain is only 10% understood and we have no idea what the rest does,that knowledge will come in time,for now when you have a stroke a different part of you brain chips in to keep it going and most patients get some or all recovery,you can have parts of your brain killed off in the case of Epilepsy or severe tremors and still function just fine,you clearly have no idea what you are on about

As a big fan of physics im not sure which part of it convinces you that you're correct here.

I wasn't meaning that Physics is the limiting factor on bringing someone back from the dead (although it may be). I meant it simply to explain the fact that there is a fundamental difference between "not technically feasible with todays technology" and "not ever possible because the laws of physics will never allow it". Some people don't seem to understand or recognise that differentiation.

But regards the brain, I am not sure "reading" it - so that you have the information required to reconstruct it - will ever be possible. Quantum mechanics may very well not allow the information to be read, without destroying the information. (If your into Physics, you might be aware of the Measurement Problem, and the Copenhagen interpretation.)

What about people that have "died" and had their heart restarted after half an hour?

They were dead. Brain dead.

Somebody's been dead for half an hour, they've restarted their heart and now they are ok? They wouldnt of been brain dead

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.