Going Green to save Planet Earth

This is a great post and hits the nail on the head. I WANT to be more eco-friendly than I currently am, but the prices and hassle involved make it difficult.

RE-refillable shampoo, have a look into bar shampoo. It's like bars of soap. Works just as good as liquid shampoo IMO.
I switched back to bar soap, but you can't really get bar shampoo here in Malaysia other than getting it online and paying for delivery. I'll probably just fuck off shampoo completely after my current one. It was only recently that I realised that I never actually wash my face with anything other than water, and I've never had any issues because of it. Nobody has ever told me I've got a dirty face.

Nothing wrong with taking the car for a family trip though! Easier and more important changes are the daily ones. Eating less meat, walk or cycle shorter trips and switch off stuff you're not using. Do these and you will reduce your carbon emissions and save money.

They’re actually doing more around this than nearly everyone else in the world.
A lot of that is because their population demands action because they are the ones suffering from the effects. That's why things like shipping "recycling" abroad is bullshit. If our waste plastic was piling up in our streets and councils were having to find money to deal with it locally, something would actually get done. As it is, all of the nasty effects of our lifestyle are transferred overseas in one way or another, often to countries where people have ever less of a say about their living conditions, so nothing changes.

So you were serious and your 5% figure wasn't based on a misunderstanding.
Now you're using military spending during WW2 as some sort of justification for your point.
Further discussion is pointless as usual.
If the threat of China gains traction then US military spending will need to increase and a 1.3 per cent increase is not far fetched.

How much do you think they would spend on Climate Change compared to their 2000 levels if the bills were passed.

No one is asking you to discuss the matter further , in times of war military spending as a percentage of GDP rises.

Even the potential threat of War has an impact.

Australia will eventually spend heavily on nuclear submarines albeit we would have to lease some from the UK or the USA to increase our presence in the region in the next two decades.

I was watching that programme Shop Well for the Planet and it pissed me off how much of this is placed on individuals. The term 'carbon footprint' comes from a BP campaign because like tobacco companies, they know that if they can shift the blame onto individuals, they can carry on as normal selling their stuff. If you made companies pay the true cost of recycling their products through taxes, you know that Coca Cola would come up with a new type of packaging within a few years. Whereas if we want anything other than tap water, we basically have no choice but to get a plastic bottle. Loads of shops don't even sell cans any more because bottles are bigger and therefore more expensive.

But inspired by this programme, I thought I'd have a look in the Body Shop, because they do refillable shampoo. Three times the price as my normal shampoo. And to be fair, it's no more expensive than their normal shampoo, but it's just another example of the environmental option being the premium option. Nobody is selling own-brand shampoo in refillable bottles, for example. Having said that, maybe the actual eco-friendly option is not to use shampoo at all. It's not technically necessary.
Just a little hint - don't use shampoo. I haven't used shampoo for years. There have been plenty of programmes about it. In the shower just go through the motions of washing your hair without the shampoo. People say yeh but...your hair gets greasy without. Your hair gets greasy because you keep shampooing the natural oils your hair produces out of your hair and it combats this by producing more oil. After a while with no shampoo your hair will be fine.

If you must use shampoo there are plenty of soap bars for shampooing.

If the threat of China gains traction then US military spending will need to increase and a 1.3 per cent increase is not far fetched.

How much do you think they would spend on Climate Change compared to their 2000 levels if the bills were passed.

No one is asking you to discuss the matter further , in times of war military spending as a percentage of GDP rises.

Even the potential threat of War has an impact.

Australia will eventually spend heavily on nuclear submarines albeit we would have to lease some from the UK or the USA to increase our presence in the region in the next two decades.
The USA already spends 40% of the whole world's military budget. You want it to up spending by another $300 billion dollars and reach nearly 50% of the world's military spending?
You also want the UK and Australia to up spending by 130% and many other countries by over 200%?
Meanwhile that would encourage China and Russia to treble their military spending to try and keep up.
Your argument is utter nonsense.

I was watching that programme Shop Well for the Planet and it pissed me off how much of this is placed on individuals. The term 'carbon footprint' comes from a BP campaign because like tobacco companies, they know that if they can shift the blame onto individuals, they can carry on as normal selling their stuff. If you made companies pay the true cost of recycling their products through taxes, you know that Coca Cola would come up with a new type of packaging within a few years. Whereas if we want anything other than tap water, we basically have no choice but to get a plastic bottle. Loads of shops don't even sell cans any more because bottles are bigger and therefore more expensive.

But inspired by this programme, I thought I'd have a look in the Body Shop, because they do refillable shampoo. Three times the price as my normal shampoo. And to be fair, it's no more expensive than their normal shampoo, but it's just another example of the environmental option being the premium option. Nobody is selling own-brand shampoo in refillable bottles, for example. Having said that, maybe the actual eco-friendly option is not to use shampoo at all. It's not technically necessary.
Nish Kumar likes this post.

The USA already spends 40% of the whole world's military budget. You want it to up spending by another $300 billion dollars and reach nearly 50% of the world's military spending?
You also want the UK and Australia to up spending by 130% and many other countries by over 200%?
Meanwhile that would encourage China and Russia to treble their military spending to try and keep up.
Your argument is utter nonsense.
Australia has already increased its spending by significant amounts since 2010 and will have to increase its spending by a lot more in the next decade and it will as both Labour and Liberal governments are committed to the spending.

300 billion is a drop in the ocean west , Australia's GDP spend on covid to date is over 4 per cent with no budget for it in the forward estimates in 2019 having lashed out almost 140 billion alone in payments to individuals and business and that doesn't include much of State Government payments that's Australia not the USA not the spend on vaccines and infrastructure and quarantine and contact tracing and the list goes on.

What do you think the current debt ceiling in the USA almost never to be decreased again is?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.