Golf Thread

I love my Mavrik driver, swing it remotely right and it’s ridiculously long and forgiving.

Good to know that. My cousin, who’s an ex pro, works for Callaway and he’s managed to get me a free custom fitting and full set next month (I’m long overdue a new set, he used to work for Orka so I’ve got a set of them currently). I had had my eye on Ping until he told me.

Villa Sol is ok but a lot of similar holes.
Both Vale courses are pretty good. Palmares is different if you fancy a road trip from Villamoura. Faldo course is a good test off the back tees and so is Victoria. You then release how far the Pros bomb it off the back tees.

My mate goes about 6 times a year. He’s now on first name terms with all the door staff on all the bars and ‘clubs’ around the marina...haha. Not sure he gets a discount yet in some of the well known haunting places.
Had some good sessions around the Marina, lost a member of our party once due to a good drink. I think Figo has a bar there we used to go in

Been golfing in Spain more than Portugal but we always try and play less well known courses, better value for money and not as long. I enjoyed Boa Vista last time we went, is Palmares near there?

Can you recommend any shorter courses in Portugal? Like to play the ones where a bit of strategy is involved and not just the 300 yards bomb off the tee which is out of my range (and most of our group).

Thanks for the replies, gents. My first ever putter was by Fazer as a kid.

Sounds like I'd be better going somewhere like a club or American Golf when available, and try a few out. I've seen some really good deals on the likes of eBay for second hand sets, but it's pot luck I guess.
A mate of mine just returning to the game and also a left hander has just bought these which seem to be OK judging by some of the practice shots I've seen him take:

Woodworm Golf ZOOM V2 Mens Left Hand Golf Clubs Set with Bag: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Good to know that. My cousin, who’s an ex pro, works for Callaway and he’s managed to get me a free custom fitting and full set next month (I’m long overdue a new set, he used to work for Orka so I’ve got a set of them currently). I had had my eye on Ping until he told me.
I’ve never been a huge hitter of the driver but I was suffering a chronic fade/slice and granted I’ve been working on my swing path, but the Mavrik has been much more forgiving and increased my distance by 15-20 yards I’d say (my 2 longest drives from today):

C2B097F4-6876-4BF7-8A47-BDE02A7F6E76.jpeg
5C3F35A0-367A-489C-B0E1-D51BCC9CEEF2.jpeg

and yes I bogied both holes as I’m a nob but the point is that I was very rarely hitting it further than 255 yards with my old TM R11S without wind assistance and it was a still calm today.

I hope you enjoy it mate when you can get out.

I’ve never been a huge hitter of the driver but I was suffering a chronic fade/slice and granted I’ve been working on my swing path, but the Mavrik has been much more forgiving and increased my distance by 15-20 yards I’d say (my 2 longest drives from today):

View attachment 12181
View attachment 12182

and yes I bogied both holes as I’m a nob but the point is that I was very rarely hitting it further than 255 yards with my old TM R11S without wind assistance and it was a still calm today.

I hope you enjoy it mate when you can get out.

I’m the same with my bad shot with the driver. It’s odd as with my irons, I’ve now got a slight draw more than anything (I’m in that dangerous stage of being able to shape the ball both ways and I need to go back to just keeping it simple).

Had a lesson before lockdown and a lot of my issues were down to the grip rather than the swing path - slightly different to most though that I had a really strong grip but I wasn’t releasing it properly through the swing. Making that more neutral and almost imagining I’m hitting a topspin tennis shot seemed to work. Sod’s law will be it’s been that long, I’ll revert back to type again when I finally get to play!

Thanks mate, that’s some good distance you’re getting on the driver. Tbh, I’d take anything 250 upwards if it improved my chances of finding the fairway more often!

What app is that that you’re using out of interest?

I’m the same with my bad shot with the driver. It’s odd as with my irons, I’ve now got a slight draw more than anything (I’m in that dangerous stage of being able to shape the ball both ways and I need to go back to just keeping it simple).

Had a lesson before lockdown and a lot of my issues were down to the grip rather than the swing path - slightly different to most though that I had a really strong grip but I wasn’t releasing it properly through the swing. Making that more neutral and almost imagining I’m hitting a topspin tennis shot seemed to work. Sod’s law will be it’s been that long, I’ll revert back to type again when I finally get to play!

Thanks mate, that’s some good distance you’re getting on the driver. Tbh, I’d take anything 250 upwards if it improved my chances of finding the fairway more often!

What app is that that you’re using out of interest?
It’s the Garmin golf app. I was using Arccos previous but the new watch came with Garmin sensors so sold my Arccos stuff. It’s all automatic shot/club tracking so I don’t have to fiddle with my phone or edit my round afterwards. It’s handy for the stats and seeing just how far you are actually hitting the clubs rather than what your ego thinks you hit them.

Had some good sessions around the Marina, lost a member of our party once due to a good drink. I think Figo has a bar there we used to go in

Been golfing in Spain more than Portugal but we always try and play less well known courses, better value for money and not as long. I enjoyed Boa Vista last time we went, is Palmares near there?

Can you recommend any shorter courses in Portugal? Like to play the ones where a bit of strategy is involved and not just the 300 yards bomb off the tee which is out of my range (and most of our group).
The Old isn’t that long but tree lined and you can easily get blocked out if you aren’t exactly at the corner of the doglegs. For easier game and good for less experienced players, Laranjal is quite good.

It’s the Garmin golf app. I was using Arccos previous but the new watch came with Garmin sensors so sold my Arccos stuff. It’s all automatic shot/club tracking so I don’t have to fiddle with my phone or edit my round afterwards. It’s handy for the stats and seeing just how far you are actually hitting the clubs rather than what your ego thinks you hit them.

Yeah, I got a shotscope watch for similar but haven’t been able to use yet. Definitely an area I need to improve on - thinking the distance I hit a seven iron for example is actually only the one out of ten shot that goes completely clean!

Yeah, I got a shotscope watch for similar but haven’t been able to use yet. Definitely an area I need to improve on - thinking the distance I hit a seven iron for example is actually only the one out of ten shot that goes completely clean!
I bought the shotscope just before the last lockdown. I’m just trying to figure out how to clear my history so I can start again with my new clubs

Yeah I used be like that and would say “I can hit a 7 iron 170 yards” but my stats tell me I CAN hit it 172 and also 130 but I usually hit it 156. It does help a great deal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.