Golf Thread

Wanted to play Dornock for years but never made it. I have played 39 of the top 100 in Scotland Royal Aberdeen is right up there. best Ive played in the state is Shadow Creek and Cascata
39 of the top 100 is a very stout performance!

I've not played Shadow Creek nor Cascata, though I'd love to. I've had friends tell me Shadow Creek is so incredibly manicured it puts Augusta to shame.

I did get on Cypress Point once -- almost 40 years ago when I was in college -- a very, very last second invite; i.e. at 11 pm I was told I had to get up at 4 am and drive from San Francisco for an 8 am tee time. Had to change shoes in the parking lot -- non-members not allowed in the clubhouse back then (they may not be still). Spectacular though I hadn't swung a club in months so I was awful.

I liked Royal Aberdeen a lot. My buddy and I played the 16th tee to green with putters. My favo(u)rite after Dornoch in the general vicinity was Cruden Bay. What a quirky, wonderful track.

One good story -- we played Nairn that trip too. On the 18th (a par 5) we each had about 50 yards in for our third with the match all square. I was away and hit a six-iron running chip to maybe 25 feet or so -- very links of me; I was proud. He decides from his bare lie to hit a half sand wedge. He did exactly what you'd expect -- he dead skulls it. It goes screaming through the air at the speed of sound, flies everything, hits the clubhouse window (which is right next to the green), then bounces back onto the green to four feet! I swear to God. I miss, he makes, but he's such a gentleman he called the match all square because he felt so bad. People eating lunch in the clubhouse didn't bat an eye so stupid Yankee tourists trying to hit that shot must happen all the time!

Last edited:
We must sort something out this summer once we're back in the swing of it and muscles that haven't been used for ages stop aching.

Do your golfing buds have 'team names'?

We have the NMP (North Manchester Possé) me & partner v SS (Southern Softies) a cockney West Ham fan & Stalybridge born Chelsea lover.

We play Texas scramble to keep the game moving.It's not improved our game but certainly made it more competitive feels like the Ryder Cup at times driving the valley on the 18th.
Golf Junkies mate, we're not drug addicts, just run from the Junction pub in Ashton! Love the Texas Scramble, always play thst on away trips after a boozy overnight stay. Will get it done, keep in touch.

So my nee Callaway Mavrik Irons arrived yesterday. Went out and shot a 2021 best of 83 but boy those things are long. I was over the green so many times so I reckon I should be able to break 80 once I’ve properly gapped the distances.

D1EF1FB9-D5EF-4C71-A272-4C274A2C3212.jpeg
ABA3D239-A591-438B-BE02-5BCA065602CB.jpg

I’ve never hit a 195 yard 8 iron in my life and my PW is usually 125 on a good day, let alone 145 with an easy swing. Madness how much technology has come along in comparison to my X-22 Tours (from 2008) that I’ve been using.

So my nee Callaway Mavrik Irons arrived yesterday. Went out and shot a 2021 best of 83 but boy those things are long. I was over the green so many times so I reckon I should be able to break 80 once I’ve properly gapped the distances.

View attachment 12669
View attachment 12670

I’ve never hit a 195 yard 8 iron in my life and my PW is usually 125 on a good day, let alone 145 with an easy swing. Madness how much technology has come along in comparison to my X-22 Tours (from 2008) that I’ve been using.
So I’ve had to order a Gap Wedge from Callaway as I’ve now got a huge space from AW (140 yards) to my 54 degree (105 yards)

I’m literally going to be playing 5 wedges (Pw, Aw, Gw, 54 and 60 degree) now which seems very weird and means I’m going to have to jettison a fairway wood.

View attachment 12669
View attachment 12670

That’s because it’s 31.5 degrees, more akin to a 6 iron. The technology is good though because even with the stronger degrees it is easier to get the ball in the air and to land softer

That’s because it’s 31.5 degrees, more akin to a 6 iron. The technology is good though because even with the stronger degrees it is easier to get the ball in the air and to land softer
Yeah the technology is crazy. I’m aware I’ve not suddenly become super strong.

That’s the problem with new irons now, the lofts are jacked. Even my JPX 921 forged aren’t standard. I pull a 9 iron out knowing it’s an 8 iron old school loft. So the number on the club really doesnt mean anything. It’s getting the right gaps sorted and the right gap in wedges that’s important.

That’s the problem with new irons now, the lofts are jacked. Even my JPX 921 forged aren’t standard. I pull a 9 iron out knowing it’s an 8 iron old school loft. So the number on the club really doesnt mean anything. It’s getting the right gaps sorted and the right gap in wedges that’s important.
Difference being that hitting my PW 150 is far easier than hitting my old 7 iron the same distance, plus the roll out/landing is far shorter as the apex of the flight is far higher.

Anyone playing tomorrow?

Got nine holes booked for after work on Tuesday then 18 on Easter Monday. Weather on Tuesday is supposed to be 21 degrees then next week, it’s saying 7 and potential snow - the joys of U.K. golf in spring!

Can’t wait. Don’t mind the pubs being closed at all, really struggled with not being able to play golf though!

After watching what seems like a million YouTube instruction videos since Xmas I'm off to Antrobus driving range to clear the cobwebs, don't want to embarrass myself in the first medal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.