Grenfell Tower block disaster

It is truly pissing me off this belief by elements on the left that cladding was put on buildings to 'gentrify' buildings and make them look nicer.
The cladding was put on so the buildings would become energy efficient and help reduce the countries CO2 emissions - if it made the buildings look nicer as a result of this great but it's all down to the UK trying to meet emissions targets. Subsequent to these decisions, anybody who wouldn't think that that the owners - mainly councils - wouldn't try and do this at the lowest price possible is living in cloud cuckoo land
Correct, its already been said plenty in this thread, but largely ignored.

Many of these 60/70's buildings were badly built, they leaked, had little or no insulation, and were damp to the point of being unhealthy, so the cladding was there to improve the situation greatly, until it became obvious about 10 days ago, that many of these councils went for the cheapest improvements possible, and now looking like some/many were illegal or unsafe.

Politically nobody is getting away with this, its a huge can of worms for all parties.

Pretty sure its now a condition of planning consent, that any large development must include social housing.

I live in a development of 400 flats, and I think 10% had to be social housing.

Not sure it's a condition as such but possibly planning often only permitted if it includes it. Some get through without it I think.

I can't understand what the problem is.
There is a development of social housing ready for folk to move in to, so it makes perfect sense to house these families there.
I bet these yuppies who are complaining were down the community centre with their donations and flowers the morning after the fire showing a community spirit but god forbid if they move in a few doors down from the elite. Disgusting people.

Yes you could be right, I'm sure there are people who know the rules on here though @worsleyweb

Not generally in manchester - general rule is that a section 106 payment is made for every apartment you build you pay 5000 (max) to a contribution towards an affordable housing pot. All depends on how viable your scheme is though. There will be a huge emphasis under Andy burnham to divert funds from the devolution housing fund to a social housing programme. Not easy to implement though.

I can't understand what the problem is.
There is a development of social housing ready for folk to move in to, so it makes perfect sense to house these families there.
I bet these yuppies who are complaining were down the community centre with their donations and flowers the morning after the fire showing a community spirit but god forbid if they move in a few doors down from the elite. Disgusting people.

are you a yuppie?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.