Greta Thunberg

I know a bit about this, part of my old job, the earth goes through warming and cooling cycles, it’s a fact, we’re going through a warming cycle, mass deforestation more so than any other factor is probably going to be the biggest factor, then factor in emissions, it’s not rocket science, sort things out for a bit of equilibrium.

I think Greta Thunberg is a pretty remarkable young woman. The ire she provokes in a particular demographic just endears her to me more, tbh.

That wouldn’t be a particular meat from a pig now would it?

Yeah you’re one of those religious/cult types I talked about earlier.

Each to their own.
Haha, you literally have no answer to any real debate on the topic. Exactly like we've seen on this thread generally, your only response is to label those that disagree with you because you can't actually address their arguments. As soon as anyone asks you a difficult question, you stick your fingers in your ears and flounce off the thread.

Love a good study.

Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters..

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

So only a year left.
Ah, so that's what your side means when they claim they've read a report. They mean they've read some biased journalist's bullshit summing up of the report. That explains a lot.

They showed a bit of the rally she attended in Australia on Sky, an Aussie shoolgirl on stage, passionately demanding that this is sorted out, to huge noise from the huge crowd of mainly youngsters & it goes back to the studio, the presenter says something like "I'm not sure shouty teenagers is the answer to this, but...".

Talk about missing the fucking point.

Trouble you have is extinctions have happened since life first began and long before man appeared.

Climate change is cyclical in that it has been hot and cold with low and high sea levels and the landmasses are not some stable platform, they are forever moving.

I've no issue in the claim that we have seen a huge increase in the rate of global warming and that we have played a part in that but i refuse to accept we are the sole reasons for it as we are not.

Mother nature is far more powerful than we are and will do what it has done for billions of years regardless of what we do.

Talk of mass extinctions and the end of the world is pure out and out hysteria spread for political reasons and its become the new religion and almost cult like imo.

We do our bit as a family, recycle when and where we can but i dont buy into the hysteria im afraid.
Spot on.

And projections about what may or may not happen over the next 2,000 years are COMPLETELY meaningless.

Why? Because (a) it's very difficult if not impossible to extrapolate that far out. And (b) - and this is really important - they assume that mankind over that entire period is powerless to do anything about it, and just sits back relaxed and watches it happen.

This is of course nonsense. Absolute nonsense. Who knows what technology we may develop over the next 100 years let alone 2,000.

How about self-replicating nanobots which assemble themselves into a series of enormous sun shades orbiting high above the earth, blocking out sunlight and returning us to a period of global cooling to rebuild the icecaps?

Calls for draconian measures today to prevent something which may or may not occur over 2,000 years would be like asking the ancient Romans to use all their resources to build a cobbled single track road across the Mediterranean, when nowadays we just get on a plane. It would be pitiful.

Are you denying that extinctions have happened because of human activities?

Study
Of course not.

I'm denying that human extinction is an imminent threat - something that the more gullible seem to have decided is going to happen. As a result of the relentless propaganda and brainwashing.

And other extinctions happen all the time. Would it be "nice" if we had dinosaurs roaming the planet? Well it would be nice for the dinosaurs but I doubt we'd have so many mammals to care about were that the case.

I'm more concerned about us continuing whaling, poaching rhinos, tigers and killing elephants. None of which are climate related issues.

Spot on.

And projections about what may or may not happen over the next 2,000 years are COMPLETELY meaningless.

Why? Because (a) it's very difficult if not impossible to extrapolate that far out. And (b) - and this is really important - they assume that mankind over that entire period is powerless to do anything about it, and just sits back relaxed and watches it happen.

This is of course nonsense. Absolute nonsense. Who knows what technology we may develop over the next 100 years let alone 2,000.

How about self-replicating nanobots which assemble themselves into a series of enormous sun shades orbiting high above the earth, blocking out sunlight and returning us to a period of global cooling to rebuild the icecaps?

Calls for draconian measures today to prevent something which may or may not occur over 2,000 years would be like asking the ancient Romans to use all their resources to build a cobbled single track road across the Mediterranean, when nowadays we just get on a plane. It would be pitiful.

So long as you are right, no problem then (unless it continues to accelerate & millions die).

If however, you are wrong, unfortunate but hey ho.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.