Greta Thunberg

Micro level change is irrelevant, the UK is responsible for barely 1% of the total CO2 output. What can the UK government do beyond reduce its contribution within its 1% sphere? What are the people on the streets expecting to happen?

What they are expecting to happen is one thing, what they are actually achieving is to raise awareness of something that this time last year was nowhere near the high profile issue it is today.

Raising awareness of the issue of climate change and the damage it can do can only be a good thing.

What they are expecting to happen is one thing, what they are actually achieving is to raise awareness of something that this time last year was nowhere near the high profile issue it is today.

Raising awareness of the issue of climate change and the damage it can do can only be a good thing.

As I said in a previous post we are more than aware of cancer but awareness alone cannot cure cancer.

If you read the environmental manifesto of extinction rebellion then the method is clear - radical action that will seriously harm society and change our way of life for the worse.

Who is raising awareness of that in the marches?

Which in effect is why having her as a figurehead is a good thing.
The way I see it, those that are criticising her or who she is supposedly representing are not completely wrong but perhaps missing the point that others of us see as a means to an end.
Scott Morrison's little rant the other day was very true, regardless of what you may think of him or his policies.
The youth of today are the biggest consumers on the planet and they do need to be woken up.

What Thunberg is doing is engaging the youth of today. I wouldn't agree that the majority of those going on strike know what they are supposed to be striking for.
Most are there for a day off and to tell the establishment we're watching you, but know little more. However if only 10% of them are genuinely interested they will inform themselves and this will spread amongst that generation.

Where Morrison is right, is that these same youth that are striking need to now take affirmative action and show by their own own actions, how us the older generation should be acting.
We are all consumers and it's consumerism on steroids.
They need to get themselves and then their own peers properly informed. They are the next generation of voters and they need to make the next generation of MP's and policy makers worried that there is a groundswell of opinion that won't tolerate what we have been doing up until now.

Will it work? I doubt it. I think we're fucked. Too far gone. We're a virus.
Will mankind be wiped out in the next 20, 50, 100 years? I doubt it. But there may be some severe changes to humanity coming that I'll never live to see.
Hopefully my son won't either.

As I said in a previous post we are more than aware of cancer but awareness alone cannot cure cancer.

If you read the environmental manifesto of extinction rebellion then the method is clear - radical action that will seriously harm society and change our way of life for the worse.

I think people are already aware of the materialistic self interest of the human race, not sure a human beings are cunts banner is needed. You could start a protest if you’re inclined mind.

There's no "cake and eat it" option here, it depends whether you feel inclined to take a bit of a hit to your way of life now to help future generations or just shrug your shoulders in a "jam today, please" kind of way. I'm not condemning or affirming either option, just pointing them out.

Which in effect is why having her as a figurehead is a good thing.

The way I see it, those that are criticising her or who she is supposedly representing are not completely wrong but perhaps missing the point that others of us see as a means to an end.

Scott Morrison's little rant the other day was very true, regardless of what you may think of him or his policies.

The youth of today are the biggest consumers on the planet and they do need to be woken up.

What Thunberg is doing is engaging the youth of today. I wouldn't agree that the majority of those going on strike know what they are supposed to be striking for.

Most are there for a day off and to tell the establishment we're watching you, but know little more. However if only 10% of them are genuinely interested they will inform themselves and this will spread amongst that generation.

Where Morrison is right, is that these same youth that are striking need to now take affirmative action and show by their own own actions, how us the older generation should be acting.

We are all consumers and it's consumerism on steroids.

They need to get themselves and then their own peers properly informed. They are the next generation of voters and they need to make the next generation of MP's and policy makers worried that there is a groundswell of opinion that won't tolerate what we have been doing up until now.

Will it work? I doubt it. I think we're fucked. Too far gone. We're a virus.

Will mankind be wiped out in the next 20, 50, 100 years? I doubt it. But there may be some severe changes to humanity coming that I'll never live to see.

Hopefully my son won't either.

The key thing is change doesn't require protest, change requires change. How many of the politically involved youth are engaging in change though? None.

Greta is rightly raising awareness and that is a great thing, especially when it comes to engaging government.

BUT, more importantly will it seriously make any difference to the reality that is we must change our behaviours? No because human nature tells us why should I do that?

The hypocritical nature of it winds people up the most, for example Emma Thompson takes planes from LA to London to protest. Greta's support team for her Atlantic crossing also used planes. Leading Hollywood stars spout tons of CO2 into the atmosphere travelling to discuss the issue. Even Greta's social media campaign uses electricity to power Twitter/Facebook etc data servers....

We can all protest and say how terrible it is but unless we all give up on our cushty consumption based lives, nothing is going to change.

Cancer treatments have come an incredibly long way though, haven’t they.

We’re not advocating putting ER in No.10. We’re saying just listen to them and act more than we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.