Greta Thunberg

Oh, come off it.

The BBC and pretty much every other media outlet, political commentator, you name it, has been banging on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it for like 10 years. We're actually getting numbed to it. And as the hysteria and disruption from the fucking idiots running the extinction rebellion crap gets ever more offensive, I seriously wonder whether they are doing more harm than good. They have lost all sense of proportion, and with it, a great deal of credibility.

To say that climate change as an issue has no greater share of the media/public's attention now than it has had over the last ten years is arrant nonsense.

Whether the extinction rebellion movement does more harm than good is a separate point entirely, and I suspect that we would agree that extremist views always tend to be lacking in proportion and credibility alike. The simple reality however is that ten years ago there were many (outside scientific circles, where it was acknowledged for what it was) who simply denied that climate change was occurring. Now the debate has moved on, and the discussion is not whether it is occurring - it is - but to what extent climate change is man made. Even that discussion is being moved on, and the public at large is becoming more aware of the environmental need to use less plastic, reduce carbon emissions etc.

Again, I cannot regard a heightened public awareness of these issues to be anything other than a good thing.

To say that climate change as an issue has no greater share of the media/public's attention now than it has had over the last ten years is arrant nonsense.

Whether the extinction rebellion movement does more harm than good is a separate point entirely, and I suspect that we would agree that extremist views always tend to be lacking in proportion and credibility alike. The simple reality however is that ten years ago there were many (outside scientific circles, where it was acknowledged for what it was) who simply denied that climate change was occurring. Now the debate has moved on, and the discussion is not whether it is occurring - it is - but to what extent climate change is man made. Even that discussion is being moved on, and the public at large is becoming more aware of the environmental need to use less plastic, reduce carbon emissions etc.

Again, I cannot regard a heightened public awareness of these issues to be anything other than a good thing.
Whatever Chris - knock yourself out. Or knock one out, if you're bored.

Cancer treatments have come an incredibly long way though, haven’t they.

We’re not advocating putting ER in No.10. We’re saying just listen to them and act more than we are.

What awareness or call for action are these people raising because I don't think it's working.

Turning off our PC's/Phones/Laptops etc etc would be the first place to start if we cared so much.

What about those who drive diesel/petrol cars (IE everyone), are they going to give up their cars sharpish?

I'm guessing not.

Meanwhile, let's just drive our car to the protest, buy a bottle of Evian along the way and text about it shall we?

What awareness or call for action are these people raising because I don't think it's working.

Turning off our PC's/Phones/Laptops etc etc would be the first place to start if we cared so much.

What about those who drive diesels/petrol cars (IE everyone), are they going to give up their cars sharpish?

I'm guessing not.

Meanwhile, let's just drive our car to the protest, buy a bottle of Evian along the way and text about it shall we?

Are you kidding?

It’s front page news every week, Greta Thunberg has leaders from every UK party in audience, she has the most powerful man in the world quoting her tweets, the UN are constantly on about it and you personally are posting on a 40+ page thread, on a football forum.

That must be a joke.

Are you kidding?

It’s front page news every week, Greta Thunberg has leaders from every UK party in audience, she has the most powerful man in the world quoting her tweets, the UN are constantly on about it and you personally are posting on a 40+ page thread, on a football forum.

That must be a joke.

So what? She is a very useful tool for those leaders electorally to say they are doing something about climate change but the fact is none of them are doing anything nor can they.

Why do you think the Paris accord set carbon targets for a date when every signatory would be dead of old age?

I've just read Labour's manifesto and it mentions just two policies. Hell Labour are committing to a mass spending spree that will INCREASE carbon emissions?!?!

The Green Party have one paragraph on actual solutions, all of which will make no difference whatsoever to carbon emissions. Having a solar panel on everyones roofs will. not. work.

I can only handle detail and I'm sorry I really am struggling.

In this brave new world will we be giving up cars travel of most kinds and acquiesce to being liquidated when we get to a certain age to prevent too much damage to the environment? How far are we going to go with saving the planet? Should we decrease the population, stop people driving cars, prevent the sale of goods unless they are locally made from renewable raw materials?

What should we do and should we start it tomorrow?

In this brave new world will we be giving up cars travel of most kinds and acquiesce to being liquidated when we get to a certain age to prevent too much damage to the environment? How far are we going to go with saving the planet? Should we decrease the population, stop people driving cars, prevent the sale of goods unless they are locally made from renewable raw materials?

What should we do and should we start it tomorrow?

Everything you have said will fix it and we can start tomorrow.

I don't think we will see many on the protest march though.

Everything you have said will fix it and we can start tomorrow.

I don't think we will see many on the protest march though.

If everyone did it then I am up for it, it will turn the world on its head. My suspicion however is that the residents of necker island and people like that just wont play ball, it'll just be the less well off running around in peasant clothes eating turnips again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.