Greta Thunberg

Greta has been using public transport but she is supported by a team of people and a media hype which increases her CO2 output beyond any normal person. Her personal contribution would be a lot lower had she just stayed at home and not bothered.

Many in XR and who support XR live in the Twitter and social media sphere. Social media is powered by some of the most power intensive data servers in the world... Where does that electricity come from?

We then have people coming from all over the country travelling to protests on coaches, diesel trains, they then eat food from London food places which contributes to pollution.

What about the Police resources, their travel and their food needs etc? What about peoples public transport journeys who were inconvienced so they had to drive or get a taxi?

What about Emma Thompson taking a 12 hour flight from Los Angeles to attend XR rallies? Or, Prince Charles and his son jetsetting around the world to tell us to stop flying?

It's a fashionable fad and a hypocrisy which in reality has only increased our CO2 output.

I would've thought that if the campaigning of one person, in spite of an increased environmental footprint, prompts scores of others to reduce theirs, then it's beneficial and offset.

I would've thought that if the campaigning of one person, in spite of an increased environmental footprint, prompts scores of others to reduce theirs, then it's beneficial and offset.

I can bet you that many of the people who are most vocal like Prince Harry etc have a carbon footprint that is a million times larger than the average person.

You are right but why is it that the average person has to suffer and examine their behaviour whilst the rich and celebrity elite tell us what to do yet carry on enjoying themselves?

I was always taught that the only way to set an example is to practice what you preach.

If you don't do that then your message is lost, particularly when that message is communicated by the medium of disruption and pi@@ing people off.

Greta can be admired for trying but she is really mixing and associating with the wrong people. Particularly as her every move is now a Trump protest and not a climate protest.

I can bet you that many of the people who are most vocal like Prince Harry etc have a carbon footprint that is a million times larger than the average person.

You are right but why is it that the average person has to suffer and examine their behaviour whilst the rich and celebrity elite tell us what to do yet carry on enjoying themselves?

I do agree with that. It definitely puts a lot of normal people off when they see rank hypocrisy from celebs and the like (don't think GT quite falls into that bracket tho, for me anyway). it's why I think that states need to take the lead and enforce action and embed the thinking that we're all in involved in the solution. It's a fanciful idea, but things like an earlier poster mentioned such as sustainable road resurfacing - whilst I hadn't heard of it, should be standard practice.

I was always taught that the only way to set an example is to practice what you preach.

If you don't do that then your message is lost, particularly when that message is communicated by the medium of disruption and pi@@ing people off.

Greta can be admired for trying but she is really mixing and associating with the wrong people. Particularly as her every move is now a Trump protest and not a climate protest.
Spot on.

There was some campaigner on the radio just before Christmas - cannot remember who, someone in the UN - who when grilled by the interviewer as to how they travelled to all of these various summits and events, fessed up that they fly in business class, because that is allowed under their travel policy.

So voluntarily outputting maybe 2 or 3 times the CO2 compared to had they flown in economy.

Rank hypocrisy which inspires people to make no effort at reducing their own carbon footprint whatsoever.

Come on Bob, does alarmist language and the declaration of an emergency mean we should relax about their message?

If my house was on fire then that is an emergency so as a result should I protest about the fire or should I stop pouring petrol on it?

You can't have one group preaching and protesting whilst simultaneously observing silence on the fact that even their own preaching fuels the fire.

Anarchy to prevent regular people from using forms of transport that help is the height of the utter stupidity of the climate change movement.

Pouring petrol on your house fire will likely see you banged up for arson.

I don’t care either way on celebs doing their bit for whatever worthy, or unworthy, cause they are championing. I certainly don’t care if the Thompson bird gets on a scheduled flight to help promote climate action. The flight is going ahead whether she is on board or not so who cares and what do you expect her to do anyway? Walk?

And like it or not, and no one actually does, protesting like XR only works if you are a complete pain in the arse. Women suffrage? Massive pain in the arse. Civil Rights movement in the US? Ditto. First rule of protesting. Piss people off and have Piers Morgan ranting on the telly. Things Pier’s would have said about women protesting for the right to vote, upsetting the King’s horse and spoiling ‘ordinary peoples day out’. Posh bints from the elites ruining it for the man in the street. Get back in the kitchen and cook some dinners yada, yada.

I don’t care either way on celebs doing their bit for whatever worthy, or unworthy, cause they are championing. I certainly don’t care if the Thompson bird gets on a scheduled flight to help promote climate action. The flight is going ahead whether she is on board or not so who cares and what do you expect her to do anyway? Walk?

And like it or not, and no one actually does, protesting like XR only works if you are a complete pain in the arse. Women suffrage? Massive pain in the arse. Civil Rights movement in the US? Ditto. First rule of protesting. Piss people off and have Piers Morgan ranting on the telly. Things Pier’s would have said about women protesting for the right to vote, upsetting the King’s horse and spoiling ‘ordinary peoples day out’. Posh bints from the elites ruining it for the man in the street. Get back in the kitchen and cook some dinners yada, yada.
Don't mind them. They're just pissed off because now when they Google "16 year old Swedish schoolgirl" they get Climate protest videos.

I think you know it wasn't literal but apparently the world is burning and the fire is precipitated by everyone who contributes to it, yes EVERYONE.

Clearly it isn't all as urgent as we thought then so we can all rest easy.....

And since the planes are going anyway then I might as well book myself on two holidays this year eh?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.