Guardiola: “If the club wants me, I want to stay here”

I'm inclined to agree with this. There is no better job in football. I don't think he has quite the free rein you suggest - he reports into Txiki - but he is instrumantal to the whole club's decision making and he clearly works well with his bosses as well as his staff.

He's going to get tired and he's a family man. I know this has probably never been done before but if he wanted some time off I'd give him a year or even two and stick a caretaker in and let him come back.
R.jpg

Don't think that would work for him or for the club and caretaker. He wouldn't be able to fully stay away in that scenario and that would be a negative for the club and whoever took the caretakers job. Imo of course
He would. He’s intelligent enough to know the essential boundaries and I suspect they would suit him anyway if he wanted a break.

Pellegrini sort of backs up the point though, he did a great job but we got worse as time went on and it seemed to be that the players/board weren't fully committed to him - even the signings were seemingly made with Guardiola in mind rather than being players for his style of play.
We would probably accommodate him, but the scenario would worry me.
Pellegrini was a fraud. His success was mostly down to the foundations Mancini (and to a lesser extent, Hughes) laid before him. He may have been our 'charming man' but he had the charisma of a comatose sloth. This was characterized by him sat motionless in the dugout bereft of any leadership quality. He had no idea how to beat Real Madrid in the semi, just sat there arms folded looking gormless next to his right hand man, Dr Crippen..

Pellegrini sort of backs up the point though, he did a great job but we got worse as time went on and it seemed to be that the players/board weren't fully committed to him - even the signings were seemingly made with Guardiola in mind rather than being players for his style of play.
We would probably accommodate him, but the scenario would worry me.

I have no doubt players like KDB were bought for Pep.

I agree it would be a risk and Pellers certainly lost some authority when he announced he would be replaced.

You would though need to keep the existing coaching staff largely in place and that would I think help keep the players focused.

It would be a very unusual situation but if it was Pep take a year off and then come back and do five more, I'd be happy for the club to risk it.

Pellegrini was a fraud. His success was mostly down to the foundations Mancini (and to a lesser extent, Hughes) laid before him. He may have been our 'charming man' but he had the charisma of a comatose sloth. This was characterized by him sat motionless in the dugout bereft of any leadership quality. He had no idea how to beat Real Madrid in the semi, just sat there arms folded looking gormless next to his right hand man, Dr Crippen..
“The Stoned Corpse” as I nicknamed him.

We're currently the best run footballing operation out there and that infrastructure doesn't go away with Pep's departure, so it should be possible to continue to achieve a decent level of success for some time if we stay on our metal.

Is anyone likely to emulate Pep? Probably not and in the eyes of the press and maybe a proportion of fans that'll be cast as failure; but that's not what counts. What counts is what the club's hierarchy considers appropriate targets.
If the club and whoever they hire share a vision of what constitutes success and the overall operation continues to function well then I don't see it as inevitable that Pep's successor will fail.

Am I right in thinking that Pep’s contract runs to June 2025?

Fraud is really harsh but he was nowhere near the calibre of Mancini or Guardiola.

Was very lucky to win what he did and reverted to his mean towards the end.

Seems like a nice enough fella and I want him to do well in whatever he does but I was very glad when he went.

The "charming man" and the "engineer" thing made zero sense to me at the time and still doesn't.

To be fair he was for all intents and purposes a caretaker manager - the fact Pep was coming to City was an open secret for a good 18 months and I'm sure Pellegrini knew this more than anyone.

Kev and Sterling for example were 100% Guardiola signings, it was blindingly obvious. It was also blindingly obvious when City just let Klipperty jog over to the dippers without even the faintest whiff that we were interested in his services. The ink was probably already dry on Guardiola's contract.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.