Haaland the superstar

For me, he is a wonderful, dynamic footballer who offers so much to the club/team and our future. The adulation he (quite rightly) receives by both our fans and others is fully deserved. If he stays long enough he will be OUR superstar not a superstar

Maybe it is my age but on Boxing Day December 1977, a man returned after two years from a horrendous injury. At half time it was 0-0, by the end of the game we beat Newcastle 4-0 (Tueart hat-trick). But the only name sung for that whole half was King Colin

Unfortunately don't think it was recorded/filmed, now he is OUR REAL superstar, he trancends all others

Last edited:
True Legends and Superstars transcend eras and generations, they are timeless.

Colin Bell has achieved that completely and is as great now as he was at his peak.

Vincent,David & Kun will probably do likewise along with KDB.

Emperor Erling is a superstar in the eyes of millions of youngsters but it’s not certain that he’ll be a legend unless he stays with us for most of his peak career and brings us the CL with hat tricks galore !!

Aguero was a superstar.

Jack Grealish has lots of adoring fans (admittedly not a superstar yet)

Mahrez is hero worshipped by many.

Yaya was too.

But Haaland is possibly going to be the next level above, even the greatest we’ve had playing for us.
Of course jack is a superstar

Sorry to piss on your chips Rascal,but our first genuine superstar actually played for City approximately 100-120 years ago.
Step forward the original "Welsh Wizard" -
Billy Meredith !!!
Some might say..City greats Frank Swift,Bert Trautmann and arguably the supremely talented Peter Doherty were genuine superstars also.
It's fascinating reading about Doherty,the Irishman known as " the genius of geniuses " ...high praise indeed.

Scanning through the book Who Said City Couldn't Play!
by Philip Neale,about the title winning 1936/37 season,I noted the match report of the home game against Huddersfield Town,( sat 13th March Maine Road) a powerful and well respected team back in the day..City won 3-1..

" just after half time Doherty broke away from the Huddersfield defenders and let fly a brilliant shot that went under keeper Hesford to make it 2nil to City.."

" The third goal was also scored by Doherty..his 19th of the season.it was a goal that would be talked about for sometime to come.The Irishman burst through towards goal and with his left foot hit the ball instantly and the net bulged. Everyone seemed surprised and several seconds elapsed before the crowd realised what had happened!"

Pissing on chips is the whole point of the post, my grandad maintained he would never see a player like Peter Doherty again in his life time and he thought Best was brilliant.

It could also be argued on a remedial level that Max Woosnam was our greatest superstar, after all didnt he win wimbledon and olympic medals..

Without wanting to piss on your chips Manclad, this is about the here and now, where footballers are global. Was Billy a superstar, yes, in Manchester, but worldwide, No.

Unless you have evidence of Peruvians, Indians, Chinese etc wearing Meredith shirts your point is fucking ridiculous.

Billy Meredith came from Chirk, not far from where I live now. None of the people I've met from Chirk have ever heard of Billy.

The media / internet etc creates worldwide superstars. This is Haaland's time. All he needs now is a toothpick.

:-)

I'm 58 and have been going to City for forty three years. I have never seen anyone like Haaland in all that time. His effect off the pitch is staggering and yes, i know rag dads who've taken their kids to Eastlands purely to see Haaland in the flesh.
Agree 100 per cent. We have had plenty of great players but Haaland is a Galactico with huge global fame. He is a game-changer for the club commercially. I met a retired American couple yesterday. They are touring Britain and have zero interest in sport of any kind. But they told me their grandchildren, nephews and nieces are obsessed with the PL and especially "this guy Haaland."
They said they thought soccer could be the number one sport in the USA one day because NFL was too expensive and dangerous for kids to play. They were from Washington DC which is not exactly a hotbed of soccer.

Some might say..City greats Frank Swift,Bert Trautmann and arguably the supremely talented Peter Doherty were genuine superstars also.
It's fascinating reading about Doherty,the Irishman known as " the genius of geniuses " ...high praise indeed.

by Philip Neale,about the title winning 1936/37 season,I noted the match report of the home game against Huddersfield Town,( sat 13th March Maine Road) a powerful and well respected team back in the day..City won 3-1..

" just after half time Doherty broke away from the Huddersfield defenders and let fly a brilliant shot that went under keeper Hesford to make it 2nil to City.."

" The third goal was also scored by Doherty..his 19th of the season.it was a goal that would be talked about for sometime to come.The Irishman burst through towards goal and with his left foot hit the ball instantly and the net bulged. Everyone seemed surprised and several seconds elapsed before the crowd realised what had happened!"

My dad always said that Frank Swift was the best keeper he ever saw, and that Peter Doherty was the best outfield player.

When I suggested that Colin Bell was better than Peter Doherty, he just laughed out loud and ended the conversation.

I agree with your post 100% pal, but I would argue that the players you have mentioned are between 30/50 years later than Billy Meredith.
Rascals original post asked if Erling Haaland is City's first superstar,and my reply argued that it was Billy Meredith who was City's first superstar,100+ years before Erling became a City player.
No internet,no TV or even radio to spread his name far and wide. Indeed very limited cinema available in the early years of the 20th century,just a few silent black and white reels showing him playing for City.
And yet he was known throughout England and Wales (not sure about Scotland and Ireland tbh) as "The Welsh Wizard".
And if you read Gary James book - " Manchester, the Greatest City" there is a whole chapter dedicated to Biily Meredith, which is titled. - " Meredith - The First Star" .
I rest my case M'Lud.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.