Haaland the superstar

Having a superstar has changed our club. It's almost like all the shit they throw at us doesn't matter as much because fans live a superstar.

It's certainly made me think Ronaldo would have been a good purchase, though still glad he didn't come here.

Imagine us buying vinicious junior in future, the impact would be the same.

Maybe we've turned a corner as a club.
Oh no, not the dreaded turning of the corner.

I asked the question when we signed him whether he is the biggest signing in PL history, and IMO he is.

Whilst other leagues have signed Mbappe, or Neymar or Ronaldino or Kaka or Ibrahimovic etc, I don't think the PL has ever previous *signed* a true Galactico. But even before his 42 goals (and counting) I think Haaland is that.

He's the player every club in the world would have broken the bank for. And we got him :-)

He's worth his weight in gold in shirt sales alone and will probably entice more young kids into supporting City than anything else we could possibly have done.

Haaland is a game changer with kids, he is everything a kid wants to be.

Perception wise he is huge, he is quick, he is strong, he is the epitome of masculinity. And he scores for fun, enjoys scoring for fun and has epic celebrations. How many kids will have Haaland as there 9 playing play station games or whatever is popular.
He is Roy of the Rovers :-)

Everyone can have their own varying definition of exactly what defines a “superstar “

But I think one think would be virtually unanimously agreed. That City have never signed anybody who generated as much excitement and anticipation as Haaland, before he even kicked a ball. You only had to see the mad scramble for those silver season tickets for evidence of that.

The closest I can remember was when we signed Trevor Francis. That announcement made one of the “dongs” at the start of News at 10.

But it pales into insignificance compared to this.

I had girls at work who I haven’t heard even mention football in the whole time they’ve work there, asking me what I thought of the signing.

We've never had anyone like him. Aguero and co don't come anywhere near close to his profile. He's absolutely the next in line to follow Messi and Ronaldo as the footballer kids pretend to be. Kids will be City fans just because they want to be him. KDB a superstar too, but not to the same level as Haaland, but way more than Aguero/Yaya etc.

I don't know whether he's a superstar. But I will admit this. In decades of following the club, I don't remember other club's supporters following one of our players with so much fascination (horrified fascination, in the case of certain clubs). You hear fans talking about Haaland almost wistfully.
He makes football fans excited about football, almost regardless of allegiance (unless he's directly hurting their team, that is).
It is a bit of a pity to think that, whatever else he wins (and it will be a lot), he'll never be a World Cup winner.

Maybe eventually, but stick him in a City kit, and now try to imagine how many Fifa world players or Ballon d'Or awards he'd have won throughout his career.

Spain had the whole thing tied up for years. Messi at 22 was nowhere near Haaland's numbers. Or Ronaldo.
I’ve seen some bad takes in my time but this is right up there. When Messi was 22 he was scoring 50+ goals a season, winning absolutely every trophy in club football on offer and cleaning up every personal football award possible.

Also whilst we’re at it, ronaldo at 22 was nowhere near 50 goals a season.

I don't live in Manc about an hour away now seeing quite a few youngsters with City shirts on, could be the our success over the last decade taking effect, but there as definitely been a spike since since we signed him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.