Haaland the superstar

I bought a Haaland scarf for a friends lad at Leipzig match last week. He and his dad are Notts County fans but the boy is mad on Haaland too cos he’s blond and just captivates young minds. Amazing as in Langstaff they have a guy producing almost similar numbers in his league.

We've never had anyone like him. Aguero and co don't come anywhere near close to his profile. He's absolutely the next in line to follow Messi and Ronaldo as the footballer kids pretend to be. Kids will be City fans just because they want to be him. KDB a superstar too, but not to the same level as Haaland, but way more than Aguero/Yaya etc.

He's also rapidly overtaking (or maybe even pulling away from) Mbappé, who is suffering massively from playing in a league no one watches, in a team where he'll never be the biggest star.

I agree with your post 100% pal, but I would argue that the players you have mentioned are between 30/50 years later than Billy Meredith.
Rascals original post asked if Erling Haaland is City's first superstar,and my reply argued that it was Billy Meredith who was City's first superstar,100+ years before Erling became a City player.
No internet,no TV or even radio to spread his name far and wide. Indeed very limited cinema available in the early years of the 20th century,just a few silent black and white reels showing him playing for City.
And yet he was known throughout England and Wales (not sure about Scotland and Ireland tbh) as "The Welsh Wizard".
And if you read Gary James book - " Manchester, the Greatest City" there is a whole chapter dedicated to Biily Meredith, which is titled. - " Meredith - The First Star" .
I rest my case M'Lud.
Can't argue with that Sir! I Doth my Cap

I might add however that Doherty goals in 1936/37 season cascaded City to a 1st ever Division one Championship...

Around Easter we had to play Liverpool ...and Arsenal at home...

We beat Liverpool 5-0 Doherty scoring once and earning a penalty when a Liverpool player rugby tackled him to the ground ,lol...
It was reported..."Citys superiority was overwhelming enough to
nullify analysis. Man for man they were much too clever for the Liverpool players ,who toiled painfully at their heels
City were so dominant that defender Sam Barkas
had very little to do and treated long stretches of the match more or less as a picnic.."

The match against top of the table Arsenal.April 1937..... in front of 75,000 fans at Maine road featured an opening goal by Doherty which surprised all who saw it by it's Ariel dexterity....Doherty hooked the ball into the roof of the net from a very tight angle.. one report described the goal as " A Masterpeice"

Another news report of the time..The Sporting Chronicle...described it thus " Tilson screwed the ball into the penalty area,where Doherty brought off a wonderful feat.....How he got the ball into the net from the acute angle at which he was situated,and while travelling at full speed I cannot say,but he did...and one of the finest goals I have seen for a long time put Arsenal one down"

Manchester City had displaced top of the league Arsenal at Maine Road April 1937 ,Peter Doherty proving instrumental in The Blues subsequent title win
City scored 107 goals,Doherty top scorer with 30 goals from 41 games

Let's see how Haaland superstar compares with Peter Doherty superstar as we take on both Liverpool and Arsenal in the next few weeks!
We could do with our history repeating itself !

Last edited:
Can't argue with that Sir! I goth my Cap

I might add however that Doherty goals in 1936/37 season cascaded City to a 1st ever Division one Championship...

Around Easter we had to play Liverpool ...and Arsenal at home...

We beat Liverpool 5-0 Doherty scoring once and earning a penalty when a Liverpool player rugby tackled him to the ground ,lol...
It was reported..."Citys superiority was overwhelming enough to
nullify analysis. Man for man they were much too clever for the Liverpool players ,who toiled painfully at their heels
City were so dominant that defender Sam Barnes had very little to do and treated long stretches of the match more or less as a picnic.."

The match against top of the table Arsenal.April 1937..... in front of 75,000 fans at Maine road featured an opening goal by Doherty which surprised all who saw it by it's Ariel dexterity....Doherty hooked the ball into the roof of the net from a very tight angle.. one report described the goal as " A Masterpeice"

Another news report of the time..The Sporting Chronicle...described it thus " Tilson screwed the ball into the penalty area,where Doherty brought off a wonderful feat.....How he got the ball into the net from the acute angle at which he was situated,and while travelling at full speed I cannot say,but he did...and one of the finest goals I have seen for a long time put Arsenal one down"

Manchester City had displaced top of the league Arsenal at Maine Road April 1937 ,Peter Doherty proving instrumental in The Blues subsequent title win
City scored 107 goals,Doherty top scorer with 30 goals from 41 games

Let's see how Haaland superstar compares with Peter Doherty superstar as we take on both Liverpool and Arsenal in the next few weeks!
We could do with our history repeating itself !

Do you mean Sam Barkas, I ask because my dad always use to say we had both England fullbacks around that time Sproston and Barkas. Peter Doherty was my dads favourite player which is probably why I was christened Peter.

I cant sleep either.

Last edited:
Do you mean Sam Barkas, I ask because my dad always use to say we had both England fullback around that time Sproston and Barkas. Peter Doherty was my dads favourite player which is probably why I was christened Peter.

I cant sleep either.
Yep.Sam Barkas.cheers for spotting typo...bloody tablet has a mind of its own.
I just hope any lurking red Scouse read that wonderful match report snippet,lol.
During my time attending City matches week in week out it was Colin Bells name I heard time and again,over and over,and rightly so given his legendary status(older away supporters would also be misty eyed in recalling how good a player he was)...but there were two instances,only two,where a Blue has said,once in person ,and once I've read on hers,that Peter Doherty was a class above Bell.another one has added to that in this thread.
It's an engaging debate,a rare one given the passage of time..but I would have loved to see Doherty play football.

Yep.Sam Barkas.cheers for spotting typo...bloody tablet has a mind of its own.
I just hope any lurking red Scouse read that wonderful match report snippet,lol.
During my time attending City matches week in week out it was Colin Bells name I heard time and again,over and over,and rightly so given his legendary status(older away supporters would also be misty eyed in recalling how good a player he was)...but there were two instances,only two,where a Blue has said,once in person ,and once I've read on hers,that Peter Doherty was a class above Bell.another one has added to that in this thread.
It's an engaging debate,a rare one given the passage of time..but I would have loved to see Doherty play football.

Me too mate. I would have liked to see Wee Bobby Johnstone, Roy Paul and Ken Barnes as well to name but a few. All players my dad use to talk about. my dad would have been 102 in Feb

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.