High end restaurants

El Celler de Can Roca in Girona.

Utterly incredible dining experience, although the bill was astronomical.

Well deserving of being voted best restaurant in the world a couple of times in last few years, highly recommend if anyone is staying in Barcelona as only an hour or so on the train.

I've eaten at Pierre Gagnaire in Paris a couple times, absolutely incredible.

Also El Bulli before it closed. Jason Atherton at Maze, Benares in Mayfair.

All top of their game.

If I had to choose though, would say De Friscos or Peter Luger Steak House in NYC.

For pizza, Paulie G's in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.
I had an amazing sirloin at Del Friscos behind the WTC last summer and funnily enough I was told to go to Peter Luger but didn’t make it across to Brooklyn.

Been there, tried it and got the XL t-shirt! When I had money to burn, I happily used to go to all the supposed high end eating establishments, paying daft amounts as I perceived myself as a foody.

Now, I enjoy finding cheaper restaurants that haven"t been overpriced and overhyped and come away so much happier.

Last time in Edinburgh a friend had recommended Ten Hill Place which is part of the Royal Surgeons College, Alan Dickson is a cracking chef. The Black Swan at Ravenstonedale is also fantastic, young head chef Scott who would be getting touted at a much higher calibre if in London. Local to me is The Bay Horse Inn at Bay Horse, decent food in a non pretentious pub/Inn beats sitting in a clinical dining room for me nowadays.

Last edited:
For me it's not just about the food, it's the whole experience and on the basis of that, my top 5 would be (no particular order) :

1. Vong's on the top floor of the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong (sadly no longer there).
2. Tali Wiru dining under the stars at Uluru (Ayers Rock)
3. Bauer Hotel in Venice, on the terrace for the Festa del Redentore with the amazing fireworks
4. Harry's Bar in Rome - best Turbot I've ever eaten, baked in salt and served with porcini mushrooms
5. Michael Caines' place when he was at Gidley Park

Last edited:
I had an amazing sirloin at Del Friscos behind the WTC last summer and funnily enough I was told to go to Peter Luger but didn’t make it across to Brooklyn.

I've never eaten steaks as good as I have in Texas. In the US generally, you can get a pretty decent steak in many places, but Texas steaks are something else. Cool Rivers in Dallas is a personal favourite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.