Hoffenheim (A) Post Match Thread

I don't think it was a red but I bet Hoffenheim fans, or a number of them will think it was.

They clearly thought Sane had dived as well although the TV coverage showed the opposite which shows how difficult it is to form an opinion in real time.

City fans have over 30 odd years formed an opinion that we have been fighting against the odds and for most of the time we have, but really I don't believe the UEFA competition is rigged. Possibly teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid get a number of decisions in their favour but they are expert divers and experts at piling pressure on match officials.
Explain the throw in incident? you can get away with a pen etc as the ref can say he was unsighted, the throw in incident was corrupt, absolutely 100%

At your post pal.

oh well.

i thought the goal we conceded was dreadful. that's all i'm saying.

thought the rest of the performance was largely decent, with a 20 min lull in the 2nd half. good result though.

Walker red? Meh. Not unless you are giving the red for the “tackle” (frustrated foot up at knee height) on David Silva, which was far more dangerous.

What makes Walker’s look bad initially is the speed of the challenge, because that kind of challenge has been outlawed everywhere in the world except Britain. However, in super slomo, it is clear that his studs are raised and he catches the player, which elevates it. On first viewing, I thought it was good, hard challenge. On second viewing, with the benefit of the slomo, it was a definite yellow. In the UCL, with the quality of some of the refs, it could have been worse. Then again, after the ref’s decision on throw in incident and the lack of penalty for Sané, I’ll take the yellow!

Ref made some strange calls, but we need to stop worrying about them and beat teams in a manner that the refs can almost do nothing about it.

That performance would have come with a 3-0 scoreline at Anfield. Pep needs to fix the defense and midfield for Sunday. Far too much passing for passing’s sake at the back. With Stones and Laporte in the middle, it seems like we are constantly on the front foot. With a Kompany and Ota, we fanny about waaaaay too slowly and we just give the opposition the chance to sit with 11 behind the ball, trying to find a non-existent space to exploit.

We are top of the League and our CL Group is wide open due to draws in our favor, but we appear to be (tin hat at the ready!) struggling with our movement and penetration at times, often running out of ideas and the impetus needed to breakdown the stalwart defence of even the most average of teams. We have made some so-so/bad teams look good for 70 minutes, then grab a couple of late goals and the 3-0 scoreline makes it look like we strolled it. Would like to FEEL like we strolled it a bit more than we have been doing recently.

When we were pinning them back in the later stages (before the last few mins) we looked in good nick with a back 3 with Stones and Dinho in front of them. Mahrez didn’t have much impact, and is a step down from the performances Sterling has been putting in. However, Bernardo is a game changing substitute and appears a shoo in for a start at Anfield.

Tbh, felt like Silva had not really stepped up in the way a senior Captain needed to, but his goal was ridiculously good. He may have lost a step, but to nick in, take the ball, and put it away...all in one brief moment of brilliance...was worthy of a game-winning moment.

Sergio took his goal well, but then got a stupid yellow that will probably cost us somewhere along the way.

Sané was his usual frustrating self. Flashes of brilliance, then strolling back onside. As Kroos said, sometimes it’s just a body language issue, but if we could inject a little Sterling-like effort into him, he would walk being world class, not just look like he wasn’t arsed half the time.

We deserved to win, and did, but it was (at best) an uneven, unconvincing display that will cost us dearly on the weekend if not vastly improved upon. We look a tad lethargic on the ball, with flashes of brilliance, though not nearly enough of them to dominate a decent team. Not only does Pep not know what his best team is with the injuries we have, but with Gundogan added to that list, we are beginning to look very lightweight in the middle of the park. Brilliant footballers, but lightweight.

Now, the team has four days to ready themselves for one of the biggest games of the season. Liverpool is EXPECTED to win, and a 1-0 City loss would surprise no one. 2-0 or 3-0 wouldn’t look good. However, we definitely have the wherewithal to not only not lose, but win there for the first time in 15 years. It is the last hoodoo team and ground in the new era, and now would be the most perfect time to lay down a marker on this season. My concern is that we are heading there without KDB and a banged up team that looks a little tired. That said, we have goals available from everywhere on the field, which might be something that can win the day. As always with any team playing Liverpool, it is how well we stop the player (and ball) slotting through the back line that will determine how our day goes on Sunday. Their pace and movement in the final third might be the best in the League, and they certainly ride their luck with the chances that fall to them, but we have the ability to create numerous chances against anyone and everyone, so the game may come down to the most clinical team.

Let’s hope we learn something from this game, it it behind us, and prepare as well as possible for the battle royale this weekend. 1 point or 3 is a win for us. Only an outright win and 3 pts will suffice for them, but that will also have the media creaming and claiming the League is over! Here’s hoping we make them all eat their pre-written, ready to print, words!!!

Last edited:
oh well.

i thought the goal we conceded was dreadful. that's all i'm saying.

thought the rest of the performance was largely decent, with a 20 min lull in the 2nd half. good result though.
Everybody has their opinions mate and I think I need to chilli out when it comes to people criticizing the team as I tend to look at us through blue tinted glasses too much and take offence when I shouldn't.
Was a bad goal to concede but I always know we'll score so I wasn't overly concerned.

I voted on a different thread a few days ago too stop booing UEFA CL anthem.........then the ref pulls that s* it tonight. One of the most inept, LOOK AT ME, dubious performances ever.......Again. They are all terrified of VAR let's not hear a single city fan voice any complaints about implementing it EVER. We will benefit from fair play almost every game......that was shocking tonight. Gave us eff all not even a fairly took David silva throw in !

THEY hate us .....we are a threat who just won't go away. B OOOO.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.