Holidays

Have you been to Florida recently? It's so expensive compared to a few years ago, partly to do with the exchange rate but prices hiked everywhere.

We were in Clearwater in September 2022, Saturday night in a bar, Manager tells us they're closing at 10pm as they're short staffed, went very quiet in the resort as virtually every bar/restaurant was looking for staff.

Dont know if it's changed @Mad Eyed Screamer maybe able to comment. He advised us to visit Tarpon Springs which is worth a visit, lovely Greek inspired resort famous for sponges of all things but plenty to see, well worth a visit if you're not too far away.

Had a great trip but spent around £4.5k in 14 days for two of us.
We always stay in Walt Disney World, so it's always expensive for us! Wasn't when we went for the first time as a family in 2009, but it is very expensive now.

Unfortunately will probably never go back with family to Florida, used to love Disney but they’ve destroyed it with greed it’s only for the rich or those fools easily parted with their money, having to stump up 20% in tips every time you eat or whatever is a joke as well. The pound is quite strong as well compared to recent years I wish it would go back to 2:1 them were the days.
We're comfortable, not rich, so I guess we must be in the "fools" category!

I agree with you though; what you used to get for free/cheap is now being ramped up in price. I do think that you can make the Genie+ system work for you if you are prepared to put a bit of cash aside in the holiday budget. e.g. paying $20 each for a ride on Tron or Flights of Passage may seem expensive, but you get a great ride with little wait and can get on with your day.

For next year's trip, we're taking advantage of the dining plan which gets us a lot of food, including 14 sit-down meals included in the price. Yes, the 20% tip for waiters will push the budget up, but overall we've done well.

We're staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge because this is our goodbye to Florida holiday ..... well, at least for a good few years anyway :)

We always stay in Walt Disney World, so it's always expensive for us! Wasn't when we went for the first time as a family in 2009, but it is very expensive now.

I agree with you though; what you used to get for free/cheap is now being ramped up in price. I do think that you can make the Genie+ system work for you if you are prepared to put a bit of cash aside in the holiday budget. e.g. paying $20 each for a ride on Tron or Flights of Passage may seem expensive, but you get a great ride with little wait and can get on with your day.

For next year's trip, we're taking advantage of the dining plan which gets us a lot of food, including 14 sit-down meals included in the price. Yes, the 20% tip for waiters will push the budget up, but overall we've done well.

We're staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge because this is our goodbye to Florida holiday ..... well, at least for a good few years anyway :)
Genie plus what a rip off. Used to be fast pass and free, so again fleecing, in 2017 we seated inside dining plan fast pass it was brilliant cost us about £6k all in including going to universal for 2 days, same holiday now is at least double! Disney going to have big problems when the new Universal opens up. I know where I’d be going for most of my 2 weeks.

Genie plus what a rip off. Used to be fast pass and free, so again fleecing, in 2017 we seated inside dining plan fast pass it was brilliant cost us about £6k all in including going to universal for 2 days, same holiday now is at least double! Disney going to have big problems when the new Universal opens up. I know where I’d be going for most of my 2 weeks.
Agreed, we did similar holidays for similar prices up to 2019. The fastpass system was much better (and free) but you have to work with what's available. But I don't blame people for not spending the money.

Unfortunately will probably never go back with family to Florida, used to love Disney but they’ve destroyed it with greed it’s only for the rich or those fools easily parted with their money, having to stump up 20% in tips every time you eat or whatever is a joke as well. The pound is quite strong as well compared to recent years I wish it would go back to 2:1 them were the days.
Indeed they were the days, used to venture off there in the 90s, Travel City £299 return including hire car, they even had there own jumbo departing Manchester, rent a villa from aroud £250 for the week, long gone those days now, was reading its down to the people up north going down there to retire pushing property prices up, in those days you could buy day passes for the parks in places like Burger King for a fraction of the gate price, i think they were returns from people who were leaving had not used up and sold back to the retailer

London buzzing today. So many tourists from overseas here for the summer. Convinced my wife and daughter to walk from our hotel on Euston Road to Covent Garden rather than take the tube which was great (walked 11k)

Had a few drinks and a bite to eat in that courtyard where the musicians and singers perform in CG marketplace. On the way back we ambled into the British Museum which had no queue and of course is free, bar a voluntary donation. Had a good look around parts of that and then a couple of £7 pints of San Miguel at the GA bar at the Pullman hotel near Euston Road.

I love London. Such a great City.

We always stay in Walt Disney World, so it's always expensive for us! Wasn't when we went for the first time as a family in 2009, but it is very expensive now
I've never been to Orlando Disneyworld but have been numerous times to Disneyland. The entrance prices are way more expensive in Orlando than in Anaheim.
With all the beaches and attractions near Anaheim like Knotts Berry Farm, SanDiego Seaworld, Six Flags magic Mountain, Universal Studios etc. are there any benefits going to Orlando.
Flight and packages are more popular to Orlando.
I know that the Orlando theme park(s) are larger and more modern but I think I'd prefer the original versions of Disney and Universal

Going to Sorrento in a couple of weeks, any recommendations where you can eat for reasonable prices, and somewhere to watch the Chelsea game?
Went a few years back when the kids were younger, maybe 8 years ago, absolutely loved it. A little pricey eating out with 4 of us but were self catering and really good local produce and beers etc. Amazing train network to go to Pompeii etc.
Regarding restaurants etc wander round and get amongst it. So many options it's crazy, enjoy.

I've never been to Orlando Disneyworld but have been numerous times to Disneyland. The entrance prices are way more expensive in Orlando than in Anaheim.
With all the beaches and attractions near Anaheim like Knotts Berry Farm, SanDiego Seaworld, Six Flags magic Mountain, Universal Studios etc. are there any benefits going to Orlando.
Flight and packages are more popular to Orlando.
I know that the Orlando theme park(s) are larger and more modern but I think I'd prefer the original versions of Disney and Universal
I’ve never been to the original Disneyland in Anaheim but I believe it’s much smaller. I would imagine that there’s definitely some historical value in visiting the original.

You can’t beat the epic scale of Disney World - not just the four parks and two water parks. Some of the hotels are incredible and worth visiting as attractions in themselves. To me, the whole thing is an architectural marvel. It’s more expensive than it used to be but it’s one of those experiences where you can see where a lot of that money goes. So yes, there are plenty of reasons to visit.

Enjoy mate, special times with your family can never be equated with expense, hope you have a great jolly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.