How many Years ?!!

Most people I know I have done so for a long time and they all know how long I’ve been going so would never say anything. I even had match going rags coming up shaking my hand and saying they were made up for me after our first title win saying I deserved it after all bad times they knew I had suffered (although in my eyes they weren’t bad times, they were great!)

Can’t see me ever saying that to one of them but fair play it was appreciated at the time.

Ordering drinks in a pub in Tenby wearing a City t shirt, the barman said to me "we seem to get a few of City fans coming in recently". Anticipating what he was suggesting, I replied "I've been a City fan for over 50yrs so don't worry about that". Walking away with my drinks I turned back to say "..and I'm from Manchester".

I was born in Manchester but have lived in the US since '81. I always find it hilarious when american "sahccer" fans ask me how long I've supported City. This is usually with a heavy NY accent spoken by either a rag, pool, or chelsea fan. I just laugh & ask them if they're sure they want to go down that road. When it's utd fans, I make sure to tell them the little part of both our histories that involve Manchester Central and City's saving utd's existence. They never know that story for some reason LOL

I was lucky enough to start following in 2007-08. I knew next to nothing about football but knew that I hated the scum and that I hated front runners. I didn't get to experience too many of the lean years but I got to see some of them. Overtaking them and winning a title while Slur Alex was still at the helm was one of the most poetically beautiful things I've ever seen in sports. The ensuing domination has been amazing.

Yes I was at OT that night 1 down after 2 minutes and we finished with a 3-1 win.
IIRC, didn't Best score after 37 seconds? King Colin was superb that night, getting the equaliser, then George Heslop with his first goal for City, followed by Frannie's penalty after Bell was carried off following an assault by Burns.
The highlight for me was hearing the chant of City from all round the ground for the rest of the game.
A brilliant night.
As a mere 17 year old at the time, it was the best night since Bert's Testimonial.

Me dad took me to my first game when I was about 5 or 6 (1954/5). Sat me on the wall behind the goal in the scoreboard end. Sat there in the sun not having a clue what was going on, some say nothings changed then. When they pulled the Hulme terrace houses down we moved upmarket to Moss Side, me dad wasn’t stupid only 5 minutes from Maine Road. Off and on to games me dad could afford to take then I started diving in at home games free with 20 minutes to go when they opened the gates. Then when started work every home game and quite a few away with Fingland’s (they still around? They used to be the City coach). Joined the army in 67 but still managed to get to home games when not on duty. Then sent to Germany, it was like dropping off the map. Only BFBS to listen to so only heard City once every ‘decade’ even the papers we got were London ones so the only reports you got were when we played in London. Certainly never on tv. Took me nearly 5 months to see Nellies goal in the cup final when it was on Pathe News on the cinema. Did get to see the ECWC final live from Vienna on the tv.

Suffice to say only managed the odd game when in this country. When the rags started winning everything it was insufferable as just about everyone was a f..king rag and you can imagine the stick. Particularly as I was REME and was constantly moving from unit to unit. Left the army in 91 and became a teacher, wages were worse than pathetic but started to get to about a game every 6/8 weeks. Finally when I retired I had a) the money for a value gold ST and b) found out about the Kings Lynn supporters club so could lift share. The rest is history and living in dreamland. It has been a long hard road trying to follow City half way around the world in the days before th’internet.

I love it that there are so many old buggers on here,we shared a long journey together and now it was all worth it,i still have ny fingers crossed until we are 5 nil up in extra time but i wouldn't change that habit for the world

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.