How to bulk up?

Dirty Harry said:
How many days a week and how much time do you have for each session Woz ?

Btw, don't worry about not having a bench too much mate, not ideal, but for what you want plenty of scope to do what's necessary.

I'm unemployed at the moment so got plenty of time.

woz69 said:
Dirty Harry said:
How many days a week and how much time do you have for each session Woz ?

Btw, don't worry about not having a bench too much mate, not ideal, but for what you want plenty of scope to do what's necessary.

I'm unemployed at the moment so got plenty of time.

Ok mate, you could try something simple like this (and I'm bearing in mind you have plenty of time to fill, and something we can easily change if your circumstances do.

All 10 x 10 with a minutes rest in between

Monday - Chest

Barbell floor press http://jonesandb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Barbell-floor-press.jpg

Tuesday - Back

Bent over rows https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...4NnIlk6uB_nxd4YosOILA6uTsbvTJHWDmgkMb9uHvcngc

Wednesday - shoulders

Standing military press https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...WLdaKRCAgdr2KfbWIFQjs9vmsTq1hR6Og4CKcL_4BH3AQ

Thursday - legs

Squats https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...h3WZhLbmsIZwhLlSE3NrPocNORaSRKIRCJ1jy-kRN-xDF

Friday - arms

Barbell curl 5 x 10 https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...VF8FuojfB7O8FacJhhUDPOpbpqmtJeAoZRInle_W54yxX

Standing french press 5 x 10 https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...mNI_YnF93ZKdjWucfLDOryB0ULgs71JPjjbHw1HnbvazQ

Weight-wise, first week, well depends on what exercise you're doing, you can use more with the bigger muscle groups obviously (chest, back and legs), but, best would be just a few kilos either side for the first week, and get your balance and body accustomed to lifting, so concentrate on the lifts themselves and get acquainted with the form needed for each exercise, then second week, add a bit more, you only need to add a few kilos at a time woz.

If you're not keen on that, there's a thousand and one routines out there, just trying to keep it simple, but effective and keep you occupied for now.

AntiUnited said:
People should try the 5x5 Squating method it's really helped me get passed my current plateau. and if you are not incorporating squats into your program you really should!.
If you are not doing Squats or Deadlifts you need a new hobby is what I say

BoyBlue_1985 said:
AntiUnited said:
People should try the 5x5 Squating method it's really helped me get passed my current plateau. and if you are not incorporating squats into your program you really should!.

Totally agree. That being said people are intimidated by it or they don't want to look like a total puss starting low weights (ego thing) which puts them off. also you need a strong ass core. i only started doing front squats aswell and it pretty much humbled me had to cut 3/4 the weight(of my back squat) to do it proper form. Just Start with no weight dont give a fuk what people think and focus proper form go ATG from the start so when you increase you get more confident and better.

AntiUnited said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
AntiUnited said:

Totally agree. That being said people are intimidated by it or they don't want to look like a total puss starting low weights (ego thing) which puts them off. also you need a strong ass core. i only started doing front squats aswell and it pretty much humbled me had to cut 3/4 the weight(of my back squat) to do it proper form. Just Start with no weight dont give a fuk what people think and focus proper form go ATG from the start so when you increase you get more confident and better.
Have to agree with the front squat it takes alot to understand that you just cannot get near your back squat amount. Your legs are screaming for back squats to return. I got a personal trainer a couple of years back for a month to get me squatting properly as my form was terrible and had years of bad habits, always used to get bad back from doing squats. he took me all the way back to the 10kg training bar and worked me through it

BoyBlue_1985 said:
AntiUnited said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Have to agree with the front squat it takes alot to understand that you just cannot get near your back squat amount. Your legs are screaming for back squats to return. I got a personal trainer a couple of years back for a month to get me squatting properly as my form was terrible and had years of bad habits, always used to get bad back from doing squats. he took me all the way back to the 10kg training bar and worked me through it

Yep.. you had a good coach then(unlike some clowns that will start you off with 20 kg and teach you from there lol).. The only annoying thing is im on a cut atm and im losing my gains (Not alot but i feel strength fading a bit..) I used to double BP 40kgs each hand for reps now im struggling to hit the 6-8 count. which is more the strength training range.. also i fear my squats will go lower also :<.

Hi fellas,

Been on Starting Strength for a few months now, although I recently almost started again because I wasn't really following the exact plan more just the exercises to do each day.

I am having real issues with my bench press though. I am upping the weights on squats and deadlifts etc but bench press I just can't move past 35kg/40kg inc bar. Its incredibly annoying.

Is there anything else I should start doing to help this?

I'm planning to start hitting the gym soon, just a few requests for tips.

I plan to gain weight, I've done it before, relatively easily, so no help needed there. However, I'd like a bit of advice from our more experienced Gym rats on what exercises to take up in order to strengthen my core prior to gaining weight.

I have had issues previously with my back, I used to box when I was younger, and then got carried away with bulking. In hindsight I had poor form doing squats, and it contributed to an injury.

I had an MRI scan that showed I had a bulge on one of the discs separating my lower vertebrae.

When I packed in the bodybuilding this became less troublesome. There are no problems as of now, but I know this is something that will flare up again if I'm not careful.

I however do want to get back into shape, and stack some weight on again. I'm working on my posture, I just need some advice on strengthening my core, in order to lessen the chances of my back flaring up again when I put the weight on and begin lifting heavy weight.

And hopefully, when I've developed the core enough, to return to squatting and dead lifting.

I have a reasonable idea of what I need to do, but any advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated - particularly from anyone who has experienced a similar injury.

Cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.