How to bulk up?

quiet_riot said:
I've been avoiding cereals altogether as part of my paleo diet. But found that it's a faff scrambling or boiling eggs in the morning. You reckon Weetabix are ok, FI?

Weetabix are fine mate,i just add a couple of scoops of powder to 3 or 4 of the rascals.

Bottled liquid egg whites are handy for scrambling or just adding to your porridge/weetabix/shakes etc ......

Personally I would swap the protein bars for shakes.
Maybe as a pre-workout meal/snack 1 piece of granary toast with a big scoop of natural peanut butter?

Also sardines, cottage cheese and 0% low fat greek yoghurt have great macros for building muscle.

The yoghurt I'm buying atm has 10.3g per 100 protein and only 4g carbs. Usually have half tub per day mixed with a scoop of whey for taste

FantasyIreland said:
JamesMCFC said:
What do you recommend for breakfast then?

Porridge and a protein shake?

Thats fine,although i'd add some berries to the porridge.Weetabix,Shredded wheat or sugar free muesli are also good.

6 egg whites and 1 yolk or 30g protein shake.
I take it I'm ok with 4x oatabix, handful of raspberries and protein shake for brekkie mate?

I was saying to Harry earlier, I've only trained for strength endurance before (GB rowing and very poor level of rugby), this is the first time I've looked to "build" so to speak.

It's fine SWP, it's all a matter of being consistent with eating, training and rest mate, that's a very good start to the day, and I'm sure you'd rather eat that than homemade chicken curry with a tin of tuna thrown in ?

This is my average day, think i need to make a few tweaks.

Breakfast.
2 egg omlette, splash of milk, chorizo/pepperoni for taste
Oatmeal (oat so simple)
Teaspoon of peanut butter

Mid Morning
Protien shake
Banana
Handful of Cashews

Lunch
Tin of tuna
Uncle Bens wholemeal rice

Mid afternoon
Protien shake
piece of fruit
some more cashews

Post workout
Protien shake
Banana

Tea
Chicken/Turkey/Steak
Sweet potato
Veg

Macros don't seem to be too bad; 170 - 200g protein a day, 150g-200g carbs decent amount of good fats.

Could do with getting a regular gym partner again though, worked more intensely and saw more progress.

Pretty good diet above mate,possibly a little shake heavy,however,far better than most.

Up the protein at brekky,have some oily fish occasionally and mix up the nuts a bit - almonds/walnuts etc. Maybe add some greens to your lunch and a snack before bed is also a very good idea.

Dirty Harry said:
It's fine SWP, it's all a matter of being consistent with eating, training and rest mate, that's a very good start to the day, and I'm sure you'd rather eat that than homemade chicken curry with a tin of tuna thrown in ?
You're just a mental Harry!

FantasyIreland said:
Pretty good diet above mate,possibly a little shake heavy,however,far better than most.

Up the protein at brekky,have some oily fish occasionally and mix up the nuts a bit - almonds/walnuts etc. Maybe add some greens to your lunch and a snack before bed is also a very good idea.

Definitely shake heavy, i can't get much more down me at breakfast currently, i'd rather get all the good stuff from the yolks (protien, fats etc) than a load of egg whites... but my morning appetite isn't as large as it was.

I do need to look at lunch, its so quick - rice 2 mins, open tuna, done.

Interestingly, have you seen this "If It Fits Your Macros" IIFYM

I think its mainly for cutting but the philosophy is based on the fact that this eating regularly throughout the day is a myth, so too is the GI index - as 'fast' digesting carbs become slower acting when eaten with protein/fat.

Would you agree that meal timing is much less important than originally believed?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.