How to bulk up?

richards30 said:
Any tips for guys who cant get to the gym guys? I currently have a weight bench, dumbells and a 16kg cast iron kettlebell. I have a a manual/lifting job anyway but would love to grow my pecs and biceps quickly! Any tips bluemooners??
Using body weight alone is good for overall strength, but especially for pecs, try to do as many press-ups as possible, and try to vary them (for example do ten fast and ten slow etc..) this will also work your triceps as it is a pushing motion; and for biceps try to lift your dumbells at a comfortable weight, try to focus on form more than a heavy weight and try to get at least 3 sets of 8 reps. Hope this helps.

To gain the weight, I have been told I need to be eating at least 2,500 Cals a day.

I use Fitness Pal app and on average I have about 2,300.

I currently weigh approx. 11" 5' and my body fat is at about 15% or so, but want to lose that last bit for jollies in May.

Would someone have a look at my diet below, which is very similar day to day and tell me where I can eat more please?

Brekkie - 100g Porridge oats with tablespoon of Honey

Mid Morning - Tin of tuna/mayo/sweetcorn buttie

Dinner - half bag of rice with tin of mackerel.

Tea - chicken/steak/etc plus veg/cous cous/jacket spud/rice (basically healthy meal)

Protein supplement drink after exercise.

Any advice guys (or gals) as to where I can add some good cals/carbs/fats/protein please?

Salford_Blue said:
To gain the weight, I have been told I need to be eating at least 2,500 Cals a day.

I use Fitness Pal app and on average I have about 2,300.

I currently weigh approx. 11" 5' and my body fat is at about 15% or so, but want to lose that last bit for jollies in May.

Would someone have a look at my diet below, which is very similar day to day and tell me where I can eat more please?

Brekkie - 100g Porridge oats with tablespoon of Honey

Mid Morning - Tin of tuna/mayo/sweetcorn buttie

Dinner - half bag of rice with tin of mackerel.

Tea - chicken/steak/etc plus veg/cous cous/jacket spud/rice (basically healthy meal)

Protein supplement drink after exercise.

Any advice guys (or gals) as to where I can add some good cals/carbs/fats/protein please?
Personally.......

Midmorning -tuna on wholemeal pitta.

Eggs on rye bread after training

Id end the day as it started with porridge,add a protein powder(40g) to both meals(100g at brekky 50g before bed) for nutrition and taste

upnorthblue4 said:
117 M34 said:
How long do people stick with a workout for?
I've done the exact same things for this week as I did last week and not sure if I should mix it up a bit to keep it fresh or stick with it
You should aim at changing your routine every week, even if its just changing the sets you do first, or changing the day you train a certain body part. Shocking the body is the most effective.
Balls imo.
Lifting heavier every week is enough to "shock" the muscles.

Mrmcfc said:
upnorthblue4 said:
117 M34 said:
How long do people stick with a workout for?
I've done the exact same things for this week as I did last week and not sure if I should mix it up a bit to keep it fresh or stick with it
You should aim at changing your routine every week, even if its just changing the sets you do first, or changing the day you train a certain body part. Shocking the body is the most effective.
Balls imo.

Yeah I agree.. But what about when you hit a plateau?

upnorthblue4 said:
Mrmcfc said:
upnorthblue4 said:
Balls imo.

Yeah I agree.. But what about when you hit a plateau?
Deloading is very effective.

As Mrmcfc mentioned or eat more and/or rest more, if you're eating the same day in day out there comes a point of diminishing returns, if you're not giving the muscle/CNS time to recover it's a bit like taking one step forward, one step back (two with some people) and again you don't recover sufficiently, 'shocking the body' is bollocks, people change routines (sometimes far too often) to avoid boredom/stagnation.

Can anyone help aid my quest for a power cage,bench and about 150k Olympic bar/weights?

Obviously I want to spend as little as is required for the best/right quality, ideally no more than 1k.......cheers for any input :-)

FantasyIreland said:
Can anyone help aid my quest for a power cage,bench and about 150k Olympic bar/weights?

Obviously I want to spend as little as is required for the best/right quality, ideally no more than 1k.......cheers for any input :-)

Got my stuff from these mate (link for cage and bench, then follow the other links for plates and bars) <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/packages/powerline_power_rack_system_with_lat_and_bench/11689_p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/pac ... 689_p.html</a>

I know one or two people who've moaned about service (mainly because they were in far flung reaches of the British Isles) but I found them superb, and they let me pick and choose what weights I wanted for the 150kg deal, but that was about 6 years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.