How would you rate our transfer window?

I'd go 6.5/10.
Bit disappointing we didn't sign a defensive midfielder
I was wanting one at first but I watched the Spurs away game back over the Summer and I reckon Gündoğan may even be better than Fernandinho in that position. Maybe not with interceptions but with the tempo of the game from deep he’s a superb player. I’d be starting him there’s more and more if I were Pep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people seem slightly underwhelmed but for me there's a lot more to a transfer window than simply who you buy. I would break it down into these main components:

1) Bringing in the right players:
It's disappointing a successor for Fernandinho hasn't been identified and brought in this Summer. That said, we don't know if there's a plan further down the line and for all the complaints I've heard, not many people have put forward many suitable candidates. Gomes could end up being a real coup though.
Mahrez is definitely a great acquisition though and we brought the CM we needed in in Laporte in Jan and it'll be interesting to see if he can build a partnership with Stones.

2) Not bringing in the wrong players:
Following on from the point on Fernandinho. I'm glad we didn't panic and bring in an inferior player for the sake of it. Not buying another Fernando or Garcia was a good move. The vacancy remains open and we are in a position to go for a top class player in that position when he emerges.

3) Retaining your best players
It can't be overstated what an amazing achievement it has been to hold onto the likes of Aguero, Silva etc at the peak of their careers and more recent additions like KDB also seem very settled. It's a challenge to hold onto players from around the world with other options available to them but we seem to have a knack for keeping these players happy and settled. Look at the players Liverpool and now Chelsea have lost over the years.

4) Selling players you don't need
Many disagree but I'm happy with the fees we've gotten for the players we've moved on. We've also retained an option to bring Maffeo back so that's good business too.

All in all, it's hard to rate any window in isolation as transfers this summer weren't as vital to us as they are to other clubs as we had fewer areas to improve on. The key to our success this coming season is more tied up in maintaining our level and continuing to phase in/get the best out of the players we already acquired to take over from our older players e.g Bernardo. We also need to see a bit more from Jesus I think, but the potential is clearly there.

Anyway, I'm giving us a solid 7.5.

Some great points mate agree, not with the solid 7.5 though. Imagine what a 9.5 would be !

The transfer market has burst its bubble with the football uneducated agents, these wide boy deluded business men smell some money and want a peace of it. Therefore the market has gone sky high. With this in mind I am glad we rejected offers for players that had one good season, their claim to fame is that madrid are interested so the price is 60m, or a Barcelona reject & cant get a game but because he was at barca the starting price is 50m. Could go on really but think the point is clear.

I was a bit worried that we only made one major signing, but major he is and Mahrez will fit in well so a big strengthen. We only needed a DM really, not as though we needed a defensive re build a forward and two midfielders.

We invested well last summer, this summer was to be more focussed on getting rid of what we didn't need, invest in youth and up the loan players. These three areas have gone well over summer. The last thing we wanted was a desperate buy, only to fail and either lose millions when we sell the player or making him the highest paid golfer in the country !

Look at what we have got, Mendy back / B.silva looking world class / Foden defo ready / talk of stones or LaPorte trying a DM role ( we have the perfect manager to teach them look at what he has done for Delph.

Any doubts about not making another major signings went right out the window when I watched the charity shield. No KDB, no silva, no ederson but look how we played.

Im giving it 8.5

I was wanting one at first but I watched the Spurs away game back over the Summer and I reckon Gündoğan may even be better than Fernandinho in that position. Maybe not with interceptions but with the tempo of the game from deep he’s a superb player. I’d be starting him there’s more and more if I were Pep.
Got to disagree with you on that one mate. I like ilkay but he's not on Fernandinhos level for me

The centre mid issue looks like it would be sorted with Jorghino, it didnt happen but its not the end of the world. Delph is a clever enough footballer to adapt to what Fernandinho does and he looked pretty tidy playing for England there at Elland Road before the world cup. Gundogan looked sharp the other day at Wembley and we also have the new recruit from PSG. If we start smashing up teams early doors in games it will give pep more time to integrate him as well as get Foden and Diaz on the pitch more.

Defence doesnt need any more work to it, think we have the strongest combination of centre halves in Europe at the moment and arguably with the full backs being so strong. Mendy will be like a new signing, god help any right back having to deal with him and Sane this year.

The combinations we can play across the front will be the big plus for us this year, there were times when Sane and sterling dropped off a little bit in form and maybe needed taking out of the firing line but still had to play because of Jesus' injury and us not landing Sanchez. You could see the thinking why they wanted him but Mahrez gives us a much better option of someone who can play either side or even in the middle.

All in all decent window 2 good players in every position, there will be difficult decisions for Pep to see who just makes the bench if we need to add in January we can.

Seeing as we were after two main players and got one means 5/10 but there were some interesting youngsters signed as well given, that transfer fees for the moment seem to continue on the up this to me represents the way to go. If they are not quite up to our standard they can be sold, if they make it, they save a fortune. A win win situation only have to look at the incomings to see this is the way forward. So overall a 7.5

Easily an 8 out of 10.

I think people underestimate how good Mahrez is and the fact that his statistics over the past three seasons are comparable with Hazard and Coutinho's shows just how much of a bargain we got. I mean £60 million wouldn't even get you Harry Maguire in this market!

It would have been nice to have got another midfielder in but I think there is a lot more to come from Gundogan and it's better to save the money for the right player than waste it on the sake of a short-term gap player.

I actually think we will sign a top defensive midfielder in January and then next summer we'll go big on a top class forward.

I'm comfortable with it. A defensive/holding midfielder would have been nice, but the fact we didn't get one isn't disastrous. There's a few in the squad that could "do a job" in that position, à la Delph at LB last season. Plus, as has been said, we've lost none of our major players. We just need to get Raheem to sign that contract, and the job's a good 'un.

7.5/10

Mahrez makes it better than previous summer windows after league wins where we were complacent. - 2.5 as we missed out on Jorginho and didn't have a plan B.

If you look at previous windows in comparison then you can see we are trying to cut out taking risks and buying players that we'll just end up selling and losing money on.

11/12 - Aguero, Nasri, Savic, Clichy
12/13 - Javi Garcia, Nastasic, Rodwell, Sinclair, Maicon
13/14 - Fernandinho, Jovetic, Negredo, Navas, Demichelis
14/15 - Mangala, Fernando, Cabalerro. Zucullini
15/16 - De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi, Delph, Roberts, Unal
16/17 - Stones, Sane, Gundogan, Nolito, Bravo, Moreno
17/18 - Mendy, Walker, B.Silva, Ederson, Danilo, Douglas Luiz

Our 3 windows before this one have made it so we only have to buy 1 or 2 players each summer for the next few years. Then if we need something in the here and now we'll do it in Jan(Laporte, Jesus). This should hopefully mean instead of buying the likes of Nolito, Jovetic, Fernando, entire 12/13 window we will start bedding in youngsters in those places. Also means the players we do buy can be expensive as we don't have to budget for multiple positions. Good times

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.