Hughes - I AM A BIG NAME [Merged]

Re: HUGHES - I AM A BIG NAME

Gaudino said:
Don't think he talks us down....just being realistic and not getting carried away.

I beg to differ.

He is always trying to paint us as being crap so that the crap results he's delivering don't get him the sack. We should already be qualified for Europe with the money he has spent and the fact we are struggling to do so demonstrates what a crap job he has done.

I think if the owners want 'galatico's' as they call them, then IMO i don't think they will come anywhere near with hughes in charge, but that's just me.

BobKowalski said:
Its a totally different industry today but leadership is leadership and that is a constant. Leeds is a good point and demonstrates that no matter the qualities of the individual involved sometimes shit happens. Hughes is not Clough though - as for Jose like Hughes he was given the chance and took it. Hughes so far for me just doesn't have the necessary skills or abilities .

It may be unfair to dismiss Hughes abilities but then I would feel the same about Bruce or Fat Sam or McClaren. Leadership is a quality that you either have or you don't. Hughes for me never had it and never will. Judging someone is what we all do and what ADUG will do in the summer. ADUG are not going to employ say Fat Sam in a million years. Is that fair given they are judging him without giving him a chance? I honestly don't get the argument that we have to give Hughes time or until Christmas (or whenever) to judge him. But then I would say that as for me the verdict is already in and has been pretty much from the start :)

I don't think I am wrong - people like yourself feel I am judging too harshly and too early which is fair enough. Only time will prove who is right

I see more in Hughes than the other names mentioned, McClaren was given a big job, and failed. Bruce is doing a good job at Wigan, as he did with Birmingham, who knows what he could do with money and a real scouting network. Fat Sam had his chance at the Geordies and as any manager there was always on a hiding to nothing; but he's never shown he has anymore than a PLan A: hoof it.

Hughes on the other hand, as much as i disliked him before he arrived, built Blackburn a small club into a hard to beat team of grafters and then slowly and successfully made them a hard to beat, attacking football team; Bentley, Pedersen, Santa Cruz/McCarthy and Tugay gave their supporters some great footballers the last 2 and a half seasons or so of his reign there... he also took a team near relegation into European Cup places season after season... look where they are now in his first season away, 2 managers in and a relegation battle most of the season.

Whilst he has his own ideas about how to build for the top, he seems to have been able change philosophies and be open to thing s around him, remeber the begining of the season when he tried all our attacking flair out on the pitch in a keegenesque "we'll just socre one more than you" attitude. over the last month or so i think we've seen the team begin to gel, i think after the development stage of this season Hughes should be given at least another season to prove this seasons work was not in vain and hopefully in the long run prove a few people wrong.

GStar said:
Our current crop aren't good enough and now they're a "fantasic base? ;)

now who is twisting words? ;) - i said our current crop could not win the chumps league and then explained the reasons why!

i suppose we will just have to beg to differ, i have seen absolutely NOTHING over the last 9 months from Hughes to suggest he is a great manager in the making and as such if i was a betting man i would be very happy to bet that when he leaves city he goes on to win fuck all after us as a manager, same as all the other shite we have appointed/sacked in the past 20 or 30 years.

Rammy Blue said:
GStar said:
Our current crop aren't good enough and now they're a "fantasic base? ;)

now who is twisting words? ;) - i said our current crop could not win the chumps league and then explained the reasons why!

i suppose we will just have to beg to differ, i have seen absolutely NOTHING over the last 9 months from Hughes to suggest he is a great manager in the making and as such if i was a betting man i would be very happy to bet that when he leaves city he goes on to win fuck all after us as a manager, same as all the other shite we have appointed/sacked in the past 20 or 30 years.

Haha, hence the ";)"...

I hope this time next year we'll be allowed a genuine answer.

If Hughes first priority was to lower all of our expectations then I for one have to give him credit, he's certainly done a cracking job of that.

Steve MCLaren did a similar job of lowering the expectations of England supporters not that long ago. I always thought that he was just a rubbish manager, I now realise I was being incredibly harsh on him.

Personally I'd prefer a manager capable of raising, not lowering my expectations but thats just me.

Rammy Blue said:

Personally, I think we now have a team that plays f*cking good football when it puts its mind to it. In Robinho, Ireland SWP and Elano we have players whose skill far exceed any players that have played for us since the 70's.

Overall the season has been very enjoyable in terms of our attacking football and the goals we have scored. If you don't see the potential in that, then your opinion as a football fan is pretty worthless to me.

We need a great Centre back, we need a true Leader on the pitch, we need a great Centre Forward who can help the midfield piece things together. These things will come with time.

It's just dreary harping on about results and trophies, they are not the reason why I'm a City fan, I want to go and seee my team play decent, skilfull football every week. Under Mark Hughes we've had a better season of true football than under any other manager since the 70's. We will learn lessons from this season and improve.

ColinBall said:
Rammy Blue said:

Personally, I think we now have a team that plays f*cking good football when it puts its mind to it. In Robinho, Ireland SWP and Elano we have players whose skill far exceed any players that have played for us since the 70's.

Overall the season has been very enjoyable in terms of our attacking football and the goals we have scored. If you don't see the potential in that, then your opinion as a football fan is pretty worthless to me.

We need a great Centre back, we need a true Leader on the pitch, we need a great Centre Forward who can help the midfield piece things together. These things will come with time.

It's just dreary harping on about results and trophies, they are not the reason why I'm a City fan, I want to go and seee my team play decent, skilfull football every week. Under Mark Hughes we've had a better season of true football than under any other manager since the 70's. We will learn lessons from this season and improve.

says it all really.

moomba said:
If Hughes first priority was to lower all of our expectations then I for one have to give him credit, he's certainly done a cracking job of that.

Steve MCLaren did a similar job of lowering the expectations of England supporters not that long ago. I always thought that he was just a rubbish manager, I now realise I was being incredibly harsh on him.

Personally I'd prefer a manager capable of raising, not lowering my expectations but thats just me.
i was thinking the same as this.

bobmcfc said:
moomba said:

i was thinking the same as this.

damn right, however as i have posted many times before Hughes certainly isn't lowering MY expectations - so confident am i that he won't be here next season i have stuck £50 on us to win the prem next year.

crazy i know but fuck it, I BELIEVE.

CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.