Hughes - I AM A BIG NAME [Merged]

Re: HUGHES - I AM A BIG NAME

GStar said:
i'd hope to be at the top in 10 years time

but to be there you would have to have the best players so why wait ten years when it can be done immediately?

Hughes has sucked too many people in with his excuses, it is not difficult as has been proved by other managers like Zola, Hiddinck etc to come in and hit the ground running.

once we hit the top 4 there is no club going to remove us, it is all about getting there and doing it as quickly as possible.

Bluemoon115 said:
Yeh, because Liverpool didn't win it with only one star player did they?

so why did we try and sign Kaka in Jan?

GStar said:
BobKowalski said:
GStar said:
One summer as billionaires and we should be challaenging the best the world has to offer weeek in week out... what a load of delusional rubbish.

Oh I don't know. Some of mankinds greatest achievements have been down to people who didn't listen to others saying it can't be done or its delusional. Its a mind set. You either have it or you ain't. I'd rather be inspired by a leader then live with the mind numbing negativity that Hughes brings to the table. I want this to be a mad, glorious ride that excites and awes me in equal measure. I would like us to be delusional as we would never know when we are beaten. And that kind of crazy mad thinking allied with virtually unlimited spending power and the rampant ego of a Mourinho in charge would scare the living f**k out of every team in Europe - and that would be half the battle won without a ball being kicked :)

You rasie a valid piont, but i'd argue the people who "went against the grain" were gifted individuals, i'd say its much harder in a team environment to get 25 people pushing in exactly the same direction simoultaneously... theres always resistence to change, its human nature (see Elano and how he's finally come round to our thinking).

We've been told we can't buy superstars yet we've kept trying, we won't nor, imo, should we want the 11 biggest names in football, whilst we may have a mad glorious ride under Mourinho for a few seasons something would give, you can't sustain that kind of thinking and build long term. Whilst everyone around us are loosing thier heads Hughes is the one making sure everyone knows we've achieved absolutely nothing yet, that we're out ground level with the potential to reach the sky, i like that approach too, and its taken a while but the players are coming round to it... i'd hope to be a tthe top in 10 years time, where as a mad rollercoaster ride could perhaps see us back where we were just over a decade ago.

Its much harder but under the right leadership great things can be achieved. Look what someone like Clough did. I mean Notts Forest in the old 2nd division and then twice European Cup winners? You'd have been slaughted for suggesting that may happen when he took over.

We all know we have achieved nothing yet. We don't need Hughes to tell us this. We do need to be inspired. The club. The players. The fans. And we are not entirely at ground level either. Forest yes (and Clough didn't walk around talking gloomily about the current state or future prospects for Forest either) but City are in a far better position to capitalise on our current wealth and go forward. The one thing we lack is leadership. Hughes is not a leader. With enough money he can do a decent job. No question. But decent is not what ADUG are after. Neither am I.

Rammy Blue said:
you relate this to the scum however in order to be the best you have to have the best players.

it is a very odd comparison you have posted - what kind of players do you think are required to win the chumps league?

if you think our current crop could win it you are seriously deluded, in order to win the chumps you would need a team full of players like Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldo (spits...), Drogba, Lampard, Gerrard, Torres etc etc.

if your low aspirations mean you don't want to see us win evrything then fair enough however i want it all and as such buying the best and buying them quickly is the only means to go about it when you have the resources that we have.

Ok you need to stop putting words in my mouth, i explained pretty throughly why i dont believe my stance is of "low asperations". I also never said our current crop could win the Chumps league and no you don't need a team full of superstars to win the CL. It's the team players amongst the few superstars which make the 11 on the pitch so great. The Mikel or the Essien's of Chelsea, even the Kalou's and Belletti's that come off the bench without complaining. It's, beleive it or not the Park and the Fletchers alongside the ROnney's and the Ronaldo's, The Sktel's, Agger's and Benayouns amongst the Torres' and the Gerrards'.

11 Superstars wont win you the league in a season, or 4 seasons if Madrid are looked at. Chelsea didn't go for Ballack and Shevchenko in thier first summer, it took them over 3 years to get there. They bought Del Horno, Diarra, Wright Philips etc then Carvallho, Drogba Kezmen and tried to build thier own Superstars (Drogba at Monaco was good, but he was no VIlla at Valencia in terms of reputation).

And even when Chelsea went for the huge names they haven't paid off, not to mention CHelsea were just of CL places when they started their "project".

There is no backing to show a big name manager and a pot of caash = instant success, there no reason we should be demanding it done that way when their are much more stable, sustainable and respectable ways of getting to the top which are going to make the ride to the top even more enjoyable.

BobKowalski said:
Its much harder but under the right leadership great things can be achieved. Look what someone like Clough did. I mean Notts Forest in the old 2nd division and then twice European Cup winners? You'd have been slaughted for suggesting that may happen when he took over.

We all know we have achieved nothing yet. We don't need Hughes to tell us this. We do need to be inspired. The club. The players. The fans. And we are not entirely at ground level either. Forest yes (and Clough didn't walk around talking gloomily about the current state or future prospects for Forest either) but City are in a far better position to capitalise on our current wealth and go forward. The one thing we lack is leadership. Hughes is not a leader. With enough money he can do a decent job. No question. But decent is not what ADUG are after. Neither am I.

I'd say Clough was a unique manager in a very different industry to the one we are now, and even then, he failed at Leeds becasue they expected instand success and wouldn't come round to his ways of thinking, what could they have done had they fully embraced him?

And with Hughes never being given the oppourtunity to prove if he can be "great" or not how would we ever find out, to dismiss him or anyone else without a chance is unfair, Mourinho would still be an assistant to an assistant of an assistant at Barca if other clubs hadn't taken the chance and given him an oppourtunity.

GStar said:
Rammy Blue said:
you relate this to the scum however in order to be the best you have to have the best players.

it is a very odd comparison you have posted - what kind of players do you think are required to win the chumps league?

if you think our current crop could win it you are seriously deluded, in order to win the chumps you would need a team full of players like Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldo (spits...), Drogba, Lampard, Gerrard, Torres etc etc.

if your low aspirations mean you don't want to see us win evrything then fair enough however i want it all and as such buying the best and buying them quickly is the only means to go about it when you have the resources that we have.

Ok you need to stop putting words in my mouth, i explained pretty throughly why i dont believe my stance is of "low asperations". I also never said our current crop could win the Chumps league and no you don't need a team full of superstars to win the CL. It's the team players amongst the few superstars which make the 11 on the pitch so great. The Mikel or the Essien's of Chelsea, even the Kalou's and Belletti's that come off the bench without complaining. It's, beleive it or not the Park and the Fletchers alongside the ROnney's and the Ronaldo's, The Sktel's, Agger's and Benayouns amongst the Torres' and the Gerrards'.

11 Superstars wont win you the league in a season, or 4 seasons if Madrid are looked at. Chelsea didn't go for Ballack and Shevchenko in thier first summer, it took them over 3 years to get there. They bought Del Horno, Diarra, Wright Philips etc then Carvallho, Drogba Kezmen and tried to build thier own Superstars (Drogba at Monaco was good, but he was no VIlla at Valencia in terms of reputation).

And even when Chelsea went for the huge names they haven't paid off, not to mention CHelsea were just of CL places when they started their "project".

There is no backing to show a big name manager and a pot of caash = instant success, there no reason we should be demanding it done that way when their are much more stable, sustainable and respectable ways of getting to the top which are going to make the ride to the top even more enjoyable.

apologies if you think i am twisting your words.

no club has EVER been in the position we are in so you cannot draw comparisons imo.

i personally think the core of about 14 players we have (can't be arsed listing them but you know my drift...) are a cracking base upon which a great side can be built but we don't need to be adding 5 or 6 more of the same ilk, we now need to be adding 3 or 4 £30+ million players to ignite the side and allow us to be a challenge against the top 4 sides.

IMO these stars will not consider City to be a viable option until we have a world class manager.

Rammy Blue said:
apologies if you think i am twisting your words.

no club has EVER been in the position we are in so you cannot draw comparisons imo.

i personally think the core of about 14 players we have (can't be arsed listing them but you know my drift...) are a cracking base upon which a great side can be built but we don't need to be adding 5 or 6 more of the same ilk, we now need to be adding 3 or 4 £30+ million players to ignite the side and allow us to be a challenge against the top 4 sides.

IMO these stars will not consider City to be a viable option until we have a world class manager.

Our current crop aren't good enough and now they're a "fantasic base? ;)

I see what you're saying an to extent i agree, 2,3 or 4 top quality names would be great motivation and give our squad a real chance of at least challenging for CL football. However where i disagree is that it's the lure of European, specifically CL football that will draw the players in, will palyers turn down the chance to paly for Barca because Pep Guardiola is their manager? Of course not, has Robinho spat is dummy out, refused to play for us and engineered a move away at the end of the season because he's playing under Hughes?

As i said above without being given a chance to prove your potential how do you ever become great? We can all strongly state we don't believe Hughes can be great but not one person who says that can claim it to be true or 100% fact.

Bluemoon115 said:
Rammy Blue said:
Bluemoon115 said:
Yeh, because Liverpool didn't win it with only one star player did they?

so why did we try and sign Kaka in Jan?

Quite typical of you, I prove you wrong so you completely change the subject.

how is this "typical"?

Liverpool won the champs league with a team that on paper i am sure was a hell of a lot better than ours and of course this was 4 years ago - also think dippers fans would find it a bit harsh saying only 1 star player......

let's look at the 4 teams in the semi's this year then? - sure there are probably 4, 5 or 6 players in each of those 4 teams that would be considered star players?

my point about kaka was relating to the fact that our owners have already shown their hand with their intentions which is to buy world star players not the injury prone shite that hughes wants to buy.

do you think ADUG remember the signings of bellamy, given, bridge and de jong OR do you think they remember more the failed signing of kaka?

GStar said:
BobKowalski said:

I'd say Clough was a unique manager in a very different industry to the one we are now, and even then, he failed at Leeds becasue they expected instand success and wouldn't come round to his ways of thinking, what could they have done had they fully embraced him?

And with Hughes never being given the oppourtunity to prove if he can be "great" or not how would we ever find out, to dismiss him or anyone else without a chance is unfair, Mourinho would still be an assistant to an assistant of an assistant at Barca if other clubs hadn't taken the chance and given him an oppourtunity.

Its a totally different industry today but leadership is leadership and that is a constant. Leeds is a good point and demonstrates that no matter the qualities of the individual involved sometimes shit happens. Hughes is not Clough though - as for Jose like Hughes he was given the chance and took it. Hughes so far for me just doesn't have the necessary skills or abilities .

It may be unfair to dismiss Hughes abilities but then I would feel the same about Bruce or Fat Sam or McClaren. Leadership is a quality that you either have or you don't. Hughes for me never had it and never will. Judging someone is what we all do and what ADUG will do in the summer. ADUG are not going to employ say Fat Sam in a million years. Is that fair given they are judging him without giving him a chance? I honestly don't get the argument that we have to give Hughes time or until Christmas (or whenever) to judge him. But then I would say that as for me the verdict is already in and has been pretty much from the start :)

I don't think I am wrong - people like yourself feel I am judging too harshly and too early which is fair enough. Only time will prove who is right

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.