Hughes tactically Naive?

mrjds777 said:
These Dunne comparisons need to stop. I am in a massive majority that loved Dunne, but also felt that like he could lose us the game at any moment. I don't feel like that with Lescott and the new defence. They might not be playing well yet but Hughes definitely did the right thing in his signings (and selling in my opinion).

I do.

One win out of five is just one of those ridiculous statistics that doesn't take into account the story of each game (10 men at Wigan, and just for the record A DRAW AT VILLA PARK IS GOOD AND ANY TOP FOUR TEAM WOULD TAKE IT).

Failing to recognise the brilliance of Petrov - he's been playing him the last few games hasn't he? And were most people not complaining about his failing to track back today?

Not where I was sat,in fact quite the opposite.

As for Ireland, your right, but if he had left out anyone else there would be similar moaning. From what I've heard and what i can gather he's probably the most thorough manager in the league, and yes he is the man to lead us to trophies and success.

GStar said:
Freestyler said:
I ain't gonna hold hughes responsible for the result today, but when has hughes ever really changed a match with subs or tactics?

never as far as i can recall.

Villa; Subbed on Ireland to set up the goal
Portsmouth; Dropped Robinho for Bellamy

In the interests of fairness...

He only brought Ireland on because De Jong had to come off with an injury, and Ireland was the only central midfielder on the bench.

Robinho (supposedly) asked to be rested for that game due to the crucial World Cup qualifier against Argentina.

One of my biggest gripes with Hughes is that he always leaves it too late to make an effective change - i.e. Wigan last week.

GStar said:
Freestyler said:
I ain't gonna hold hughes responsible for the result today, but when has hughes ever really changed a match with subs or tactics?

never as far as i can recall.

Villa; Subbed on Ireland to set up the goal True
Portsmouth; Dropped Robinho for Bellamy I assumed Freestyler meant changing a game in progress, besides I thought Robbie was injured?

*singingtheblues* said:
GStar said:
Villa; Subbed on Ireland to set up the goal
Portsmouth; Dropped Robinho for Bellamy

In the interests of fairness...

He only brought Ireland on because De Jong had to come off with an injury, and Ireland was the only central midfielder on the bench.

Robinho (supposedly) asked to be rested for that game due to the crucial World Cup qualifier against Argentina.

One of my biggest gripes with Hughes is that he always leaves it too late to make an effective change - i.e. Wigan last week.

Pretty much all of that.

Haha, ok, when he subs people on and it has a positive impact. Or when he drops players for performing badly and brings in players like De Jong who has kept his place or Petrov; who has performed well... its "forced" and no credit is due?

Also, so we can pick holes when we don't win, the fact we've already played a number of different formations this season, tweaking personel in order to best exploit our opposition should also be disregarded.

Guess this one can't be won... theres obviously times when Hughes has changed a game, whether it be before kick off or during the game, if you're not going to acknowledge those instances, and instead fall behind excuses, then i guess there's no point hving a discussion.

no direct criticisms to direct because it might take too long to go through but the resilience Hughes has been going on about disappeared today but my only real point is that this team should gel fairly immediatley as we have spent a hell of a lot of money.I dont know whether Hughes can handle this amount of freedom with the cash because before he came to us I thought he was just good at getting a lot out of a bunch of kickers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.