Hughes tactically Naive?

Yesterday I do think he got it wrong in that he didn't put Ireland on immediately after the equaliser. We should have turned the screw and gone for the kill but instead we sat back and invited trouble.

That said, at Villa there was a debate on here along similar lines where I backed Hughes' more cautious approach. It's all about opinions and pragmatics. There are times when I think Hughes gets the tactics spot on and other times when I think he's made mistakes. He'll probably feel the same way after games.

He's a young manager and still learning what it is to manage such good players and manage a club which is aiming to challenge right at the top. I hate making the comparison but remember Taggart at the rags, he'd done well in Scotland but initially struggled at a bigger club wanting to be top dogs. It took him a while to get things right.

Whilst you are right to a point i wouldn't exactly call yesterdays performance 'dreadful' ....... when you look back at our performances at Portsmouth last year , for example , now THAT was what you'd call dreadful!

Wigan are nobodies mugs , won at Villa , beat Chelsea at home , and generally are not gonna lie down for anybody ...... especially on their own patch!

They have some good players , players who are somewhat underated , yet players who are capable of givin' even the best defences problems ....... and Martinez gets them playing really well at times , albeit probably with a degree of inconsistency.

We had a lot of possession yesterday and we probably could have introduced Ireland a bit earlier , seeing as we were struggling to create chances ...... i also agree that Hughes should have replaced Zabaleta much earlier ........ but a point at Wigan isn't a bad result , we were losing games like this last season , this time , with only 10 men , we stuck it out ....... and if SWP would have had his shooting boots on might even have won it.

We weren't 'electric' in our performance , but we certainly weren't 'dreadful' either.

masterwig said:
Yesterday I do think he got it wrong in that he didn't put Ireland on immediately after the equaliser. We should have turned the screw and gone for the kill but instead we sat back and invited trouble.

That said, at Villa there was a debate on here along similar lines where I backed Hughes' more cautious approach. It's all about opinions and pragmatics. There are times when I think Hughes gets the tactics spot on and other times when I think he's made mistakes. He'll probably feel the same way after games.

He's a young manager and still learning what it is to manage such good players and manage a club which is aiming to challenge right at the top. I hate making the comparison but remember Taggart at the rags, he'd done well in Scotland but initially struggled at a bigger club wanting to be top dogs. It took him a while to get things right.

Thats fair comment.

PowderBlue said:
masterwig said:

Thats fair comment.

Good point I did feel that even though we got a quick goal in the second half nothing had changed and that maybe Ireland was needed!

Problem is who would he have taken off? Petrov De Jong ?

Wrighty Wrexham said:
PowderBlue said:
Thats fair comment.

Good point I did feel that even though we got a quick goal in the second half nothing had changed and that maybe Ireland was needed!

To go for the kill NDJ would have had to come off - would have been a gamble as he is awesome at what he does but his being there stifles our forward play.

The only tactics he has got wrong is this sit back and soak up pressure we seem to do every game. True yesterday was slightly different with Zab seeing red but almost every game without fail we have done it.

PowderBlue said:
Wrighty Wrexham said:

To go for the kill NDJ would have had to come off - would have been a gamble as he is awesome at what he does but his being there stifles our forward play.

Agreed this is what happened at Villa!

De Jong was having a great game and then came off for ireland!

I was really concerned at the time as Ireland hadnt been playing the best lately but what a difference this substitution made to us going forward!

Think De Jong is a brilliant player and does a great job and is needed against the likes of Manure Liverpool Chelsea Liverpool but we need more going forward against the likes of Wigan etc!

Think Ireland would have played yesterday if Toure and Bellars were fit and palyin!

Think De Jong was playing to protect the back four with Richards in it and cos Petrov doesnt do much defending!

De Jong had a brilliant game!

masterwig said:

I don't agree with that. Why change things after you've just scored right after the break? We were coming on strong and had it no been for the sending off would have got the win IMO

The Fat el Hombre said:
masterwig said:

I don't agree with that. Why change things after you've just scored right after the break? We were coming on strong and had it no been for the sending off would have got the win IMO

But I felt we eased off long before the sending off and Wigan were getting on top. The way we sat back invited pressure on the defence and made a red card more likely. I'm not saying the red card was inevitable once we sat back but it was certainly more likely seeing as Zabaleta who cannot help but fly into tackles was already booked.

It's easy in hindsight but once we equalised I felt there was almost an immediate drop in our intensity and Wigan took control again. If we had upped our pressure we could well have over-run them and killed them off before any red card or whatever. Anyway, it's all coulds and shoulds. We got a decent point with ten men against a good team so can't be too unhappy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.