Hughes tactically Naive?

I agree with the comments that MH is an excellent manager in nearly all aspects.
I particularly like the way that he instils a strong work rate and ethic into the squad.

The one issue that I have with his tactics are his failure to bring a player off who is on a yellow card - PARTICULARLY when the player is a defender, and PARTICULARLY when he is an aggressive, physical defender that can put in rash challenges quite often.

This tactic of "avoiding a red" seems to be used to good effect by quite a few managers.

Something that some of the moaners and groaners seem to forget is that we are fifth, with a game in hand, despite not playing "REALLY" well in any game, other than against Arsenal, and even then, we switched off in patches.

WHEN we start playing really well and it all comes together, some teams are going to get a pasting!

droylsdenblue said:
these threads make me laugh, Hughes tactically naive? put most people on a pitch with 10 x 12 year old kids and see how tactically adept they are..I'll tell you now , most wouldnt have a clue!

Probably the most accurate post of the thread.

J-Bay Blue said:
I agree with the comments that MH is an excellent manager in nearly all aspects.
I particularly like the way that he instils a strong work rate and ethic into the squad.

The one issue that I have with his tactics are his failure to bring a player off who is on a yellow card - PARTICULARLY when the player is a defender, and PARTICULARLY when he is an aggressive, physical defender that can put in rash challenges quite often.

This tactic of "avoiding a red" seems to be used to good effect by quite a few managers.

Something that some of the moaners and groaners seem to forget is that we are fifth, with a game in hand, despite not playing "REALLY" well in any game, other than against Arsenal, and even then, we switched off in patches.

WHEN we start playing really well and it all comes together, some teams are going to get a pasting!

I don't think I can agree with this. Sometimes, yes - its obvious that you have to bring a player off. But until his rash tackle Zabaleta was fine. He wasn't making any crazy challenges and knew when to go in. Arguably the only bad tackle he made all game was the one that ultimately got him sent off.

Point is... you can't just substitute players who have a booking. Particularly defenders. Besides, with Richards forced to play at CB we didn't really have much in terms of options for replacing Zab. Vinny came on as an absolute last resort - a player on a booking is not one of those circumstances.

de niro said:
we were painfully short of a full squad and had to player injured players to boot, dont know what game you watched but zab should have only had one card whilst they were a bunch of cloggers who with a proper ref would have eneded the game with about 3 men.

hughes is the best manager we've had since joe mercer.done nowt yet of course but we are on the right track.

You have changed your tune.....

Dubai Blue said:
citoeast said:
Who evaluates the manager for Khaldoon Al Mubarak?
Thankfully not you.

What do you want Hughes to say? "We were shit, I'm a shit manager, and a draw with 10 men against a team that recently humped Chelsea and in a stadium we've never previously won at is simply not acceptable. I hereby tender my resignation for delivering such a pathetic result and will consider suicide if it helps appease the bunch of spoilt moaning twats currently throwing their toys all over the place on Bluemoon."

Top hole old bean...well said.

J-Bay Blue said:

You have to trust professionals to be sensible when they've had a booking.

It's easy in retrospect to say he should have been taken off, but using this logic we'd be subbing players left right and centre.

If Zab had come off, Kompany would have had to go to centre half and Richards to Right Back. that would have been a risk as Kompany hasn't played for months.

Hughes is doing a great job, i believe we would have gone on to win yesterday if it wasnt for the sending off. Yes we werent at our best but its hard away from home and there are going to be games like that were we will have to dig in. Its a game we would have lost last season and we showed character yesterday to come from behind like we did against Villa.

We have been missing a number of players this season and 5 of our 8 games have been away from home yet we are still in a very good position and havnt lost a game over the course of 90 mins (you see what i did there ) im very happy with our start to the season, i think we are only going to get better and think Hughes has been spot on.

Seasons only just begun, dont get so uptight. Im very happy with the start we have made, if we keep winning at home and picking up something away from home then come the second half of the season we will be in the melting pot for honours. Our owners wont hesitate to strengthen in January if needed. Attacking the manager at this stage smells of treason to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.