Hull City post match thread

blueinsa said:
Chippy_boy said:
blueinsa said:
Sitting 2nd in the league, 2 wins from 3, 6 points from 9, 2 clean sheets out of 3 and 8 goals scored.

He has under estimated nobody and the above backs that up in my opinion.

I will leave it there as you seem to be getting a little angry.

I was getting angry because of your twisting my innocent question into "it's a disaster, Pellegrini out" which I am absolutely not saying.

But for a man of 10,000 posts, I am just staggered you would take comfort from those stats and conclude Pellegrini took the opposition seriously.

I think its fairly evident he did underestimate our opponents, or else we would have surely not set up the way we did. The results tell nothing of the whole story.

Mate, I just don't agree that he under estimated them in any way shape or form.

This is the premier league and teams are in there on merit. For me its time we started to give a little more credit to opposition managers and their players instead of just demanding we walk the ball in to the net on every attack.

Sure we are not at our fluent best but it will come imo. This is a marathon and not a sprint. Rags ended up pissing the league last year despite playing shite a lot of the times and grinding out the results and that's the exact same thing we need to do.

Yesterday we did just that and its the type of result that will win you the league.

We need to get used to the vast majority of sides sticking 10 behind the ball rather than opening up the game knowing full well we would murder them given the space in which to play and whilst its frustrating, its a fair tactic and as long as grind it out like yesterday, job done in my book and we move on.

As for the stats, i personally hate them as football is played on a pitch for all to see and im old school, trusting what i see rather than what some stat is saying but given some of the tosh being posted by some, "cant defend", "cant score", "toothless" etc, maybe it was time to roll them out and remind everyone that its not really been that bad so far.

Apologies fella if I came across sarcastic.

No worries - big of you to apologise. And likewise sorry for biting your head off ;-)

But back to the debate, I agree with much of what you say above, but I just cannot understand why he did not give the back 4 more protection and make us more combative in midfield. And why such a high line with defenders with little pace? He and our players are adapting obviously and I do not expect mistakes to be repeated over and over. But if we were to set up like that against Stoke in 2 weeks, we would lose. It's all well and good the manager liking us to play a certain way, but you have to adapt to the skills your squad has - or hasn't - got.

When our center backs are sorted out and the man marking system is adapted to then all may settle down. Also there did not seem to be any cohesion when Yaya or Fernandinho came out of defence with the ball. Nobody was making themselves available. Hopefully they just need time to adjust ,though it was hard to see any changes from last season .

Too much is being made of the absence of Kompany. We should not and cannot be so dependent on one player, especially one who tends to go off injured every season.

But actually, our defence was only poor yesterday, not diabolical like at Cardiff. Yes it was keystone cops at times, but Zabba defended well, as did Aleks. I was actually more worried about our being 2nd to every loose ball, being too narrow again and the slow and painful build up play creating few chances, again. Pre-season we were wasting chances for fun. Where has that gone???

What impressed me about Pellegrini against Newcastle was that the style of play made it clear that he thought he had the best squad in the PL. We were a better team so he made them play a style of football that was designed to show our players were better. We lost the ball, we won it back. We had a player in our way, we beat him. The full back was fast, Navas showed he was faster. Now, I don't want to decry Hull, who were very good, and many of their players, who were a credit to their club, but where had the positive, aggressive attitude of ours gone? We were hesitant, we pressed five yards too late, we never ran the ball at them. Only when Negredo came on did anyone of ours attack the space, arriving in the box determined to get the ball first. The sense of purpose which had been such an exhilerating part of our play against the geordies had vanished against Cardiff in Wales,and hadn't come back against Hull at home. We need it again, and quick.

johnmc said:
NQCitizen said:
Not seen all 48 pages but one thing is standing out to me:

The players look as demotivated as the Cup Final.

Not seeing the passionate excitement just yet, the pressing has been pretty non existent and the attacking as toothless as before.

Toothless yet scored 8 in 3

I'll admit that was poorly phrased. It just seems like a concerted attacking direction isn't there but we are relying on individual bits of magic (which it has to be said have delivered so far).

Positives - we won, kept a clean sheet, Hart dealt with everything well, Negredo continues to impress

Negatives - overall performance was very poor: ropey at the back, non-existent in midfield, fairly clueless going forward. No sense of urgency or cohesion in our play.

Work to be done.

I don't think for one minute that Pellegrini underestimated any of our opponents. I do worry that some of our players have some sort of mental block or problem against these teams and I definitely think their confidence is fragile.

La Liga, by the way, is not full of dross. but the strength of its top two is out of proportion to most of the league.

Don't understand where that performance came from. We've lost games before and bounced back. Yesterday was very very poor.

A combination of pressure that comes from having to respond to a defeat against a team defending very well, injuries to central defenders, and a tactical poor set-up.

We'll know within 2-3 weeks if Pellegrini is up to the job. I was very disappointed with his inaction. Every manager can get it wrong, but the good ones react and change it. Negredo dug us out of a hole. He gives me some expectation as does the recovering Kompany

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.