Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

What Rudiger did was an assault on or off the pitch. Ref should have sent him off. Made no attempt to play the ball.
I didn’t mean to derail the thread! He did, but it was the first act of thuggery that came to mind when trying to make a comparison of “doing an opponent”.

He has to be charged first. That’s not a given.

I think I tend to agree more with what you've written than the counter argument, but it’s not binary.

The fact it’s happened playing a contact sport muddies the waters somewhat. Proof of intent is impossible unless Petgrave tells the police. Even then, it might just be that he’s decided to impede his opponent to stop him scoring.

It‘s an interesting legal case born out of a tragic accident.

Is there not a thing called involuntary manslaughter? Which is unintentional or a result of recklessness.

All depends on what if anything he is ultimately charged with.

Is there not a thing called involuntary manslaughter? Which is unintentional or a result of recklessness.

All depends on what if anything he is ultimately charged with.
There is. As you say, we aren’t privy to the interviews and evidence, so it makes it harder to suggest what will happen.

Unless he’s admitted trying to hurt him, he could only really be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

There must be some sort of line though somewhere, otherwise there would be very few accidental deaths and a lot more involuntary manslaughter convictions.

It depends. There are some folk who genuinely think it's murder. But most folk realise that at worst he meant to hit the lad hard even with his foot etc. Which doesn't mean he wanted to actually hurt him. I suppose the football equivalent would be nudging someone into the hoardings. You want to leave it in a bit, but would you want them to fall over the hoarding and break a bone or even neck? Doubt it!
I think you are risking it a bit with a skate to the throat...

Nasty player

Look at 22 seconds on the replay, his trail leg is off the ground. This is almost identical to the maneuver he did but he was nudged at the same time and he lost balance. His trail leg then came flying up.

To me, untrained and no way an expert in ice hockey, I'd say Petgrave is a just a dirty player with poor technique and this was a badly executed hip check gone terribly wrong.

I've seen two lots of opinions about this and it's come to this:

1st opinion: The guy obviously meant it and should be charged. This opinion is by anyone who knows nothing about Ice Hockey. A game played at speed.

2nd Opinion: Freak accident. An opinion taken even by JOHNSON'S TEAM MATES at the Panthers. All ICe Hockey fans who watch the game and those who were there have said it was an accident.

Petgrave plays close to the bone and is a Keane type player, hard hitting etc. But off the rink is an absolute gent according to those in and around the EIHL.

My conclusion is it was an accident and if you've never played or watched Ice Hockey then you're guessing with little info. This has happened a few times. Not often, but has happened.

IMG_6063.jpeg

So by your logic, would Chris Therien fall into bracket number 1 or number 2? And there’s plenty more ex pros talking out over this incident, just wondering.

Look at 22 seconds on the replay, his trail leg is off the ground. This is almost identical to the maneuver he did but he was nudged at the same time and he lost balance. His trail leg then came flying up.

To me, untrained and no way an expert in ice hockey, I'd say Petgrave is a just a dirty player with poor technique and this was a badly executed hip check gone terribly wrong.
So do you think that he should be charged? That’s a tough call.

View attachment 98898

So by your logic, would Chris Therien fall into bracket number 1 or number 2? And there’s plenty more ex pros talking out over this incident, just wondering.
Not sure tbh, he hasn't clarified. I doubt he means he meant to kill him? But who knows.

There seems to be a divide on whether he was checked and lost balance or tried to kick him.

My own opinion and seeing from another angle shows he was put off balance and fell. He did end up on the floor

Can't remember exactly where, but I saw a post on Twitter by an ex-ice hockey player who provided loads of images of other players slipping forwards on the ice and their back legs suddenly coming up at a dangerous angle. Apparently it's known to happen semi-regularly, where a player will fall facing forwards and their back leg will suddenly jerk upwards because they're moving at speed and can't control themselves. But on the other hand there are loads of ice hockey players saying that never happens by accident and that Petgrave meant to hurt Johnson. Only he'll know. You can see after the collision that he gathers himself, gets up, talks to an opposition player, and then skates away with his hands up to his face once he realises the gravity of the situation. Again, though, only Petgrave will know whether he meant to do anything.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.