Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

I've seen two lots of opinions about this and it's come to this:

1st opinion: The guy obviously meant it and should be charged. This opinion is by anyone who knows nothing about Ice Hockey. A game played at speed.

2nd Opinion: Freak accident. An opinion taken even by JOHNSON'S TEAM MATES at the Panthers. All ICe Hockey fans who watch the game and those who were there have said it was an accident.

Petgrave plays close to the bone and is a Keane type player, hard hitting etc. But off the rink is an absolute gent according to those in and around the EIHL.

My conclusion is it was an accident and if you've never played or watched Ice Hockey then you're guessing with little info. This has happened a few times. Not often, but has happened.
Absolute bollocks.

Wow, talk about getting massively defensive over someone else's opinion that differs from yours. I've seen the incident and read many different views all over the world.

1st Opinion: People are saying he should be locked up for murder. That means they believe he intended to kill him which is absolute bollocks.

2nd opinion: Why do you think that? If my mate was killed and I thought someone had done it out of negligence and tried to hurt him I'd be coming out and saying so. Or just saying nothing as opposed to coming out and defending him. As you say they'd have been advised not to say anything, but they have actually jumped to Petgraves defence.

As a Hockey fan you'll know that when players are skating at speed and lose balance and fall forward your skates can go up in the air won't you? Which is what it looked like to me. Like I said this has happened before, although the lad didn't die.

We can revisit this when he's found not guilty in a court of law. Which I'm confident will happen.
I don’t think he should be locked up for murder. I don’t think there was a pre-meditation to kill or serious harm him. But he should be locked up for manslaughter.

He has to be charged first. That’s not a given.

I think I tend to agree more with what you've written than the counter argument, but it’s not binary.

The fact it’s happened playing a contact sport muddies the waters somewhat. Proof of intent is impossible unless Petgrave tells the police. Even then, it might just be that he’s decided to impede his opponent to stop him scoring.

It‘s an interesting legal case born out of a tragic accident.
Intent isn’t required for manslaughter as I’m sure you’re aware.

I don’t think he should be locked up for murder. I don’t think there was a pre-meditation to kill or serious harm him. But he should be locked up for manslaughter.

What would you consider a fair sentence for this crime?

What would you consider a fair sentence for this crime?
Anything custodial. Law mandates 1-24 years.

12 months and out in 6 would see him punished for the unlawful death of a sporting colleague. He was wreckless and negligent whilst wearing a fucking razor blade on the bottom of his boot.

I don’t think he’s a danger to the public at large but I don’t believe he should ever be allowed to set foot on an ice rink again. If Johnson had been my mate or brother I’d be wanting that at the bare minimum and probably in that event, something far tougher.

View attachment 98898

So by your logic, would Chris Therien fall into bracket number 1 or number 2? And there’s plenty more ex pros talking out over this incident, just wondering.
Exactly, I’m on a discord full of Canadians and they love their hockey. Theres not a one that don’t believe it was intentional assault.

Not sure tbh, he hasn't clarified. I doubt he means he meant to kill him? But who knows.

There seems to be a divide on whether he was checked and lost balance or tried to kick him.

My own opinion and seeing from another angle shows he was put off balance and fell. He did end up on the floor
Again, manslaughter does not require an intent to kill or even to seriously injure.

Anything custodial. Law mandates 1-24 years.

12 months and out in 6 would see him punished for the unlawful death of a sporting colleague. He was wreckless and negligent whilst wearing a fucking razor blade on the bottom of his boot.

I don’t think he’s a danger to the public at large but I don’t believe he should ever be allowed to set foot on an ice rink again. If Johnson had been my mate or brother I’d be wanting that at the bare minimum and probably in that event, something far tougher.

I think he should be serving 5 years for this minimum. Wrekcless in the extreme.

Intent isn’t required for manslaughter as I’m sure you’re aware.

Which is the issue with the did he mean it, did he mean it a little bit, a lot or not at all analysis.

I think maybe the more relevant question is did he have any control over it at that point. And even that might make little difference in the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.