Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

Does it matter if he did?

I guess we’re back to when does an accident become involuntary manslaughter.

There have been cases of people done for manslaughter for losing control of a boat, a car, making bad calls to go out in severe weather etc. I don't know how low the bar is, but as others point out, it seems a lot lower than 'intent'.

edit. it is not an accident in an everyday context however. No idea if that comes into it at all though.

How do you know, just out of interest? I am not arguing the opposite btw, I honestly don't know or even have a view that I feel I can back with any seriousness.

As you say elsewhere, might not make much if any difference to the outcome, of a manslaughter charge.
Because he cause the contact with the 3rd player for one and it’s no way a natural position for his left leg to go to after that initial contact. He left one on him.

As an example, I know when I watch rugby, having played rugby, when people are leaving one on someone. Same in football. The difference is that in those sports, people aren’t wearing razor sharp blades on their feet and even then, no one has ever taken a shoulder charge they’ve initiated (ie it wasn’t sudden and unexpected for him) and raised their outward leg in that direction, at that angle, to gain balance.

Does it matter if he did?

I guess we’re back to when does an accident become involuntary manslaughter.

Yes it does. An accident isn't manslaughter if there was no negligence or recklessness.

A boxer could commit Manslaughter or even murder if he punches an opponent in the neck or back of the head.

If he meant to use his skates to cause serious injury then he's committed a murder.

Because he cause the contact with the 3rd player for one and it’s no way a natural position for his left leg to go to after that initial contact. He left one on him.

As an example, I know when I watch rugby, having played rugby, when people are leaving one on someone. Same in football. The difference is that in those sports, people aren’t wearing razor sharp blades on their feet and even then, no one has ever taken a shoulder charge they’ve initiated (ie it wasn’t sudden and unexpected for him) and raised their outward leg in that direction, at that angle, to gain balance.

Fair on his initiating the charge. Fyi there are people, former professionals, that argue people lift their hind legs on ice at speed when falling over. How true or not that is, I have no idea and I genuinely don't know enough to even form my own view let alone argue anything. Hence just asking and taking on board.

Yes it does. An accident isn't manslaughter if there was no negligence or recklessness.

A boxer could commit Manslaughter or even murder if he punches an opponent in the neck or back of the head.

If he meant to use his skates to cause serious injury then he's committed a murder.
If a boxer hits an opponent in the back of the head because his opponent moves into an unexpected position, is that still negligent or reckless?

Like everything in life, there is nuance that needs to be applied and I‘m happy for the legal proceedings to play out. I’m not 100% either way.

If a boxer hits an opponent in the back of the head because his opponent moves into an unexpected position, is that still negligent or reckless?

What's the relevance? The hockey player that died was in natural position going towards goal.

The arrested player was in position of blocking another opposing player, barged that player and carried forward a kung-fu kicked the deceased.

There is nothing analogous in the two scenarios.

Like everything in life, there is nuance that needs to be applied and I‘m happy for the legal proceedings to play out. I’m not 100% either way.

What's the relevance? The hockey player that died was in natural position going towards goal.

The arrested player was in position of blocking another opposing player, barged that player and carried forward a kung-fu kicked the deceased.

There is nothing analogous in the two scenarios.
From what I’ve read, Johnson’s head was about 4 feet off the ground, which, unless he was a hobbit, wouldn’t be where he expected his head to be.

I get it, you’re totally convinced that he's bang to rights.

Time will tell if you are right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.