Iconic moments at The Etihad

I bet we couldn't come up with as many moments in the last 20 years at Maine Road. The ones that spring to mind are the demolition derby, Pleat's 1983 jig, Kinkladze's goal v Southampton, 5-1 against Charlton 1985, Huddersfield 10-1. I'm sure there's plenty more but probably not as iconic as those already mentioned. Most promotions that I remember were achieved away from Maine Road.
Probably need to go back to the 20 years before that for some of the real big ones.
The 5-1 Maine Rd massacre, surely you've not forgotten that!

Aguero's last game.

First time fans were allowed back in the ground after lockdown.

Scored his 183rd and 184th Premier League goals which set a new record for most goals for one club in PL history.

A perfect send-off.

Apologies if this belongs in some other thread on the subject of the ground (please move, if so) but here goes... it struck me while reading through the thread debating the Villa comeback v the Aguero goal just how much of an iconic ground the Etihad has become.

Not just Aguerooo and the Villa game but add in Kompany's goal v Leicester and his header v United, Adabeyour's crazy celebration, the Poznan and even Keane doing Alfie Haaland (sorry more notorious than iconic but it remains vivid in the memory)... maybe I am biased but it's hard to think of any other ground that has had so many univerally iconic moments in the last 20 years (and I mean universally iconic - not just significant to us).
I loved Maine Road. The Etihad will never be the same but fuck me, it's turning out to be special in it's own way.
PS: to think some nutjobs say Etihad overpaid, eh?.
EDIT: as has been pointed out, the Keane assault was perpetrated at Old Trafford. Apologies. Schoolboy error on my part.
I did 30 years of regular match going to Maine Road. Had a season ticket for 25 of those years and I could probably count the number of iconic moments on the fingers of one hand. The only thing I miss from Maine Road are the pubs around the ground.
The last 20 years at the Etihad have been rammed with iconic moments and not one single relegation. The move to the Etihad was pivotal in where we find ourselves today it's up there with

• Mansour's buyout
  • Franny ousting Swales
  • Dickov's goal
  • Joe Royle as manager
  • Keegan as manager
Maybe the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester was the greatest thing to ever happen to City?

I did 30 years of regular match going to Maine Road. Had a season ticket for 25 of those years and I could probably count the number of iconic moments on the fingers of one hand. The only thing I miss from Maine Road are the pubs around the ground.
The last 20 years at the Etihad have been rammed with iconic moments and not one single relegation. The move to the Etihad was pivotal in where we find ourselves today it's up there with

• Mansour's buyout
  • Franny ousting Swales
  • Dickov's goal
  • Joe Royle as manager
  • Keegan as manager
Maybe the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester was the greatest thing to ever happen to City?
Spot-on. Much as I loved Maine Road (my favourite moment was Colin Bell's comeback) moving to a new stadium is the best thing City have done. It has been fantastic since 2003. So many great moments to remember.

Some good ones already mentioned!

More obscure…..

The piped singing.

Nery Castillo introduction to the crowd with full on Mexican razzamatazz!

Most of the actual iconic moments have been mentioned ..

But what about Wanchope v newcastle , late headed goal that ensured we stayed up. Atmosphere was bouncing that day and will always stick in my memory

Aguero's last game.

First time fans were allowed back in the ground after lockdown.

Scored his 183rd and 184th Premier League goals which set a new record for most goals for one club in PL history.

A perfect send-off.
Would have been perfect if we were all allowed in rather than just the lucky 10,000.

Seeing Messi score, then going on to beat Barca. Felt like we arrived that night.

And Jimmy Bullard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.