If we don't sign anyone, we won't finish top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont really get the whole panic situation. Ok Chelsea sign Torres (which isnt evena done deal) weve signed Dzecko, Arsenal havent added, the rags havent added, and neither have spuds (yet).Ok weve lost AJ for 3 months but you cant say hes had that much impact on our league position today, hardly plays in the league!

rickmcfc said:
That's my opinion and I have said it. People around us are getting stronger, we have got weaker with the loss of Adam Johnson. Really think we should have tried for Torres and go for Ashley Young in replace of AJ. Come in Mancini, get some players in!

Who have utd bought? - No one
Arsenal? - No one
Chelsea? - Possibly Torres, possibly no one
Spurs? - Tried for everyone, no literally everyone... yet ending up with no one.

We've lost a player who's generally been on the bench so far this season. So i can't agree that with your OP.

rickmcfc said:
That's my opinion and I have said it. People around us are getting stronger, we have got weaker with the loss of Adam Johnson. Really think we should have tried for Torres and go for Ashley Young in replace of AJ. Come in Mancini, get some players in!
my opinion is thats urs is wrong

Mastes1 said:
Rubbish. Utd and Arsenal are gauranteed top 4 imo which leaves City, Chelsea and Spurs to battle in out for the other two places. City will definately get one of the remaining two places with Chelsea probably getting the other place, Spurs are a bit too far back and too inconsistent to get top four imo.
how are Spurs too far back? 4 points behind us if they win their game in hand.

I don't have time to do the analysis but we probably have the toughest fixture list for the rest of the season, at least of the contenders. Away to United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs home. Our spot in the top 4 is not assured.

The OP is correct imho.

To all those who disagree with him, imagine for a moment what will happen if, in the next few games, we get another injury or 2 to our more attacking players. If Tevez went out long term we'd be well and truly stuffed. Judging by what's happened in the last couple of cup games, without AJ (long term) and Balo (short term, but, who really knows) the best we have to look forward to as replacements are Jo and Milner. Mancini can't think that there is anyone better because he would have chosen them by now, so it doesn't look like he thinks one of the younger players is yet ready.

The OP is talking about a squad here, not just the first 11. Look at the squad, because you are as good as your reserves. Ours aren't good enough, and the squad's short of numbers. If he doesn't add today, we'll have to be very lucky on the injury front to stay top 4. Personally, I think we will be caught by chelsea and spurs if he doesn't strengthen.

The whole squad situation had to be reassessed in the light of the various departures, injuries to Balo, and then again to AJ. AJ, despite his short comings, has been very important for us - our game changer occasionally, and now we won't be seeing him again until late in the season, if this season at all. We don't have a big enough squad to deal adequately with these injuries, but, at least they've happened at a time when, fortunately, the club had the possibility of doing something positive about getting in replacements, and when, for once, we had the funds, and it was worth doing, ie, we still had the possibility of winning something. With our resources, we shouldn't fail to land someone today - i'll be well peed off if we don't. I'd like several arrivals but it looks like they'll be none.

Well,

There are 2 ways to look at the OP comment.The first being to view it as a panic at the rumors of activity going on everywhere. ANd that is a valid way to view it. We have purchased Dzeko, and none of the other top 6 (excluding Liverpool here) have purchased anyone. Let say Liverpool gets Carrol and Suarez, Chelsea gets Torres, and the other 3 stay pat. This will just mean City, Chelsea and Liverpool added this January. None is guaranteed to be stronger. And thus this is just a panic reaction from an uneasy fan.

However, we could also view this differently. For example, if you ignore the comment about others buying, and just focus on CIty, the OP may have a point. Perhaps City does need to strengthen regardless of whether others are doing so. 1) We have sent out 3 players and lost one to injury. 2) We have struggled over the last 6 games (even though we were often winning or tying) 3) We have a tougher 2nd half with away games at, a strengthened Pool, a resolute United, a strengthened Chelsea and our nemesis (Everton). 4) We have more games to play in that period with a smaller set of players (Having lost some to injury or loan) and 5) Our backups have often shown an incapacity to carry the day without our stars.

So when viewed in the second light, it seems City may need reinforcement.

All that said, Reinforcement in my opinion doesn't guarantee us a place in the final 4. Matter of fact, I think we will finish the season in the same position whether we bring in reinforcements or not. Where a failure to bring in reinforcements will hurt us is most likely in the FA cup and Europa cup. As RM will be forced to play inexperienced backups at some point. We have already seen the struggles in the FA cup against Leicester and Notts. And I expect that to continue if we can't get one or two capable reinforcements.

the blue panther said:
The OP is correct imho.

To all those who disagree with him, imagine for a moment what will happen if, in the next few games, we get another injury or 2 to our more attacking players. If Tevez went out long term we'd be well and truly stuffed. Judging by what's happened in the last couple of cup games, without AJ (long term) and Balo (short term, but, who really knows) the best we have to look forward to as replacements are Jo and Milner. Mancini can't think that there is anyone better because he would have chosen them by now, so it doesn't look like he thinks one of the younger players is yet ready.

The OP is talking about a squad here, not just the first 11. Look at the squad, because you are as good as your reserves. Ours aren't good enough, and the squad's short of numbers. If he doesn't add today, we'll have to be very lucky on the injury front to stay top 4. Personally, I think we will be caught by chelsea and spurs if he doesn't strengthen.

The whole squad situation had to be reassessed in the light of the various departures, injuries to Balo, and then again to AJ. AJ, despite his short comings, has been very important for us - our game changer occasionally, and now we won't be seeing him again until late in the season, if this season at all. We don't have a big enough squad to deal adequately with these injuries, but, at least they've happened at a time when, fortunately, the club had the possibility of doing something positive about getting in replacements, and when, for once, we had the funds, and it was worth doing, ie, we still had the possibility of winning something. With our resources, we shouldn't fail to land someone today - i'll be well peed off if we don't. I'd like several arrivals but it looks like they'll be none.

You can say that about any side though. If Arsenal got injuries to Nasri and Fabregas, If Chelsea lost Drogba and Lampard (recently seen a drop in form due to the latter). Injuries are part of the game, theres absolutly nothing we can do about it, weve only just found out the extent to AJ's injury, and therefore, are finding it difficult to bring players in. Weve still got a fantastic squad!

Dax777 said:
Well,

There are 2 ways to look at the OP comment.The first being to view it as a panic at the rumors of activity going on everywhere. ANd that is a valid way to view it. We have purchased Dzeko, and none of the other top 6 (excluding Liverpool here) have purchased anyone. Let say Liverpool gets Carrol and Suarez, Chelsea gets Torres, and the other 3 stay pat. This will just mean City, Chelsea and Liverpool added this January. None is guaranteed to be stronger. And thus this is just a panic reaction from an uneasy fan.

However, we could also view this differently. For example, if you ignore the comment about others buying, and just focus on CIty, the OP may have a point. Perhaps City does need to strengthen regardless of whether others are doing so. 1) We have sent out 3 players and lost one to injury. 2) We have struggled over the last 6 games (even though we were often winning or tying) 3) We have a tougher 2nd half with away games at, a strengthened Pool, a resolute United, a strengthened Chelsea and our nemesis (Everton). 4) We have more games to play in that period with a smaller set of players (Having lost some to injury or loan) and 5) Our backups have often shown an incapacity to carry the day without our stars.

So when viewed in the second light, it seems City may need reinforcement.

All that said, Reinforcement in my opinion doesn't guarantee us a place in the final 4. Matter of fact, I think we will finish the season in the same position whether we bring in reinforcements or not. Where a failure to bring in reinforcements will hurt us is most likely in the FA cup and Europa cup. As RM will be forced to play inexperienced backups at some point. We have already seen the struggles in the FA cup against Leicester and Notts. And I expect that to continue if we can't get one or two capable reinforcements.

^^ This ^^
Pretty much the same as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.